Re: Season Over?

I see that six L1 clubs have united to express their feeling that they want the season to finish and complete the outstanding fixtures. They are putting their point to the EFL management committee today. There are ongoing discussions between the Premier League, the EFL and the Government.

A simple solution to me - the fixtures finished on March 12 this year (think that was the date). Resume all outstanding fixtures on 12 March 2021 (or thereabouts). Complete the season as per normal in April/May next year. We will lose a whole year of football but it just means that the season takes two years to complete. We are all in this for the long run.

pembsexile wrote:I see that six L1 clubs have united to express their feeling that they want the season to finish and complete the outstanding fixtures. They are putting their point to the EFL management committee today. There are ongoing discussions between the Premier League, the EFL and the Government.

A simple solution to me - the fixtures finished on March 12 this year (think that was the date). Resume all outstanding fixtures on 12 March 2021 (or thereabouts). Complete the season as per normal in April/May next year. We will lose a whole year of football but it just means that the season takes two years to complete. We are all in this for the long run.
There is little chance of this happening in my view. Money talks. EPL clubs would have to pay back a seasons cash to Sky / BT, which the clubs have already spent in part on player contracts.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Guardian today reports players and staff would need two tests per week @ £150 per test. Say 25 people per club? More?

Public Health England to inspect training venues.
Accrington's chairman saying that the extent of furlough support from the Government for Stanley amounts to £150,000.

He also says that tests for the remainder of the season would cost them £140,000. With no matchday income coming in to pay the wages, that means Accrington would lose nearly £300,000 to play the remaining games.

Cant see too many L1 and L2 clubs voting today for the remaining fixtures to be played.

faerun exile wrote:
pembsexile wrote:I see that six L1 clubs have united to express their feeling that they want the season to finish and complete the outstanding fixtures. They are putting their point to the EFL management committee today. There are ongoing discussions between the Premier League, the EFL and the Government.

There is little chance of this happening in my view. Money talks. EPL clubs would have to pay back a seasons cash to Sky / BT, which the clubs have already spent in part on player contracts.
I agree. Pemb's solution is eminently sensible which pretty much makes it certain that the powers that be will not follow it.

I'm with Pembs on this also, and made the same point a few weeks back. Just finish the current season, either with or without fans present, when it's safe to do so.

One issue I've now thought of though is that many clubs incl County have furloughed the players and staff. If I've read this right, it means those players whose contract expires this summer will be unemployed from July and have to either (a) find a new club (unlikely anyone will give out new contracts beyond October when furlough ends, so most likely just monthly contracts given out by clubs who can afford it or believe the Govt. will pay 80% until Oct), (b) the player becomes unemployed and seeks state help.

Those players with a contract into next season continue to be furloughed until Oct as per Govt. rules and support.

So, realistically, when Lge2 football does restart in some format then squads will be a mix of existing contracted players and youth team players (assuming they have contracts, might be a good opportunity for a few to sign new short-term deals knowing they can plug the gaps in the teamsheet plus be on show to attract other clubs).

Every club tries out trialists each pre-season and I think there will be x3 as many out of work players this summer, but will they or clubs really want to risk their health on trial, moving from club to club to try to earn what would only be a short-term contract for much reduced money?

I think clubs with stronger existing academies will thrive in the next couple of seasons. Having watched our U18s several times this season I think a few of them could step up to be training regularly with the first team but the depth of talent is not there yet.

Always going to be cancelled. Theres a sliding scale of where it costs to much to continue vs to cancel.

I'm partial to voiding the season for the simple fact of 16/17 when we were '11 points and 12 games' from staying up and you all know what happened. PPG would have doomed us, should relegation still happen, when the reality is we went from strength to strength after it.

And finishing this season next season was never an option. Potentially the worst option for money and sporting integrity.