Googling down a rabbit hole

I stumbled upon this photo the other day.
It resulted in me googling a couple of hours away, though I never got answers to all my questions.

The first thing I noticed (even before the white horse - more of him later) was the pockets of supporters wearing the floppy flat caps. "They're northern" i surmised. Certainly the 1923 FA Cup final was contested between West Ham and Bolton, so I've a chance of being right.

The Wikipedia entry tells of the FA heavily promoting the game ahead of its move to 125000 capacity Wembley as they feared a low attendance. Some estimated the crowd in attendance at over 300,000, hence the need for police crowd control. Our fans who regularly watch County away will be comforted by complaints back in 1923 about the poor standard of stewarding.

Other little tidbits (one of which leads to an unanswered question that maybe you can help me with). Bear in mind that Wembley was so packed that the crowd were on the edge of the pitch. Bolton's first goal came when West Ham's full-back got tangled up with spectators. When the ball hit the back of the West Ham net it knocked one supporter unconscious.

The white horse was actually grey (he simply appeared white on the film).

The policeman on the horse was given tickets to subsequent finals but never attended as he had no interest in football.

And here's the bit that I need your help with.

Bolton's goalkeeper that day was Dick Pym. He was born in Exeter. Given that Pym is an unusual surname I am curious to learn if Dick was a relative of Exeter-born goalkeeper Christy Pym.

I've googled and haven't been able to establish a definite link, though I did find out that Dick Pym toured Argentina with Exeter City, returning to Britain with a parrot. When the parrot died Dick buried it in the goal area at St James Park. Exeter promptly went on a losing streak which led to the parrot being exhumed.

Ahh, google. It's a wonderful thing.

But if anyone knows the answer to my Pym question please feel free to share.

Re: Googling down a rabbit hole

The joys of lockdown boredom! - Just spent a while trawling through Ancestry.co. Haven't been able to find a direct connection between Richard and Christy yet.

Richard Henry Pym born 2 Feb 1893 at 2 Ferry rd, Topsham. Parents Richard Henry Pym and Emily Wannell. 1901 census lived at Fore st, Topsham. 1906 left school and went to work at Pyne's Nurseries. 1911 census at Fore st, occupation Salmon Fisherman. Also 1911 was an amateur footballer for Exeter City after Ted Pyne from the nurseries said to a friend who plays for Exeter "We've got a boy who's better than your goalkeeper". Later signed professional terms.

1916 married Elsie May Murphy and they had 4 kids, 2 boys and 2 girls. Boys were Ronald Pym (1919-1985) and Richard H (born 1921)

1920s played for Bolton, including the aforementioned Cup Final.

1930s owned a Sports and outfitters shop first at Monmouth st, Topsham and later at Fore st. At time of the 1939 England & Wales Register he was at 11 Fore st, a "Ladies & Gents Outfitter Dealer and a professional football trainer"

1940s during the war worked in a parachute factory and stayed there until 1953.

1950s to 1976 returned to being a fisherman.

1980s lived with his daughter at Retreat rd, Topsham. After his death in 1988 Exeter council named a road in Exeter after him - Dick Pym Close.

Re: Googling down a rabbit hole

On a similar note, I started looking through cup final lineups of the 1950s (and read some intriguing stuff about Newcastle United's Robledo brothers). I discovered Newcastle had a player with the surname Nattress and I naturally assumed he was related to the only other Nattress I had heard of (1970s full-back Irving Nattress). He's actually not - which just goes to show.. :-) ).