Words can't describe my anger

First time user. I am a friend of a friend of a current player .got chatting yesterday and he told me they and the manager were asked to take a pay cut to help the club out in these testing times.. First it was 65% then 50% but they all refused!! he said that if the club was struggling that much why are they still making our money up to full pay after being furloughed. Probably the only club in our league and mostly league 1 doing it?

Re: Words can't describe my anger

Exile 1976 wrote:I think it’s good that the club are paying the top up 20% of their wages so that they don’t lose out. I’m glad we’re looking after our staff.
Just shows they are a good employer can't really fault that and would make other players Newport County is a Club that looks after its staff

Players still under contract shouldn't be asked to take a wage cut, maybe a deferral unless the club really are in the mire. But I do understand, and support the club if any new contracts they give are based on a 50-65% wage reduction if that's how whoever does the sums assesses future salaries should be capped to keep within the rules and, more importantly, keep solvent.

I did the sums the other day and based on a squad of 20 players including 2 youth-teamers, I reckon the average County can pay any player once the new cap comes in is £1000pw tops to include all NI and pension contributions.
Last edited by DeePeeNCAFC on May 27th, 2020, 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

iIf this situation continues and the lower leagues do not get support from the Premiership and EFL then the liklihood will be that there will be no clubs for players to play for, as it is there are thousands expected to be out of work this summer, so if asked to take a pay cut or find another club then I know which one I would prefer given that the other option would be to find another career at a time when so many others are being forced to find alternative employment. I don’t understand the rationale of making up to 20% as that could be a massive difference to the sustainability of our club we have lost a club once and I fear that if we continue in this vein we may again

I wonder how, legally, any sporting club can terminate the contract of any employee refusing to take an enforced pay cut. Sack them? Sounds like it could open a can of worms and end up in court. Make them redundant? Possibly more likely if a club can't afford to continue paying their contracted wages and the players refuse to take a cut.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:I wonder how, legally, any sporting club can terminate the contract of any employee refusing to take an enforced pay cut. Sack them? Sounds like it could open a can of worms and end up in court. Make them redundant? Possibly more likely if a club can't afford to continue paying their contracted wages and the players refuse to take a cut.
Much of players wages are in fact bonuses. Win bonus, draw bonus, appearance bonus etc. I don't know at what the basic pay compared to what a player takes home ratio is but I would have thought, I don't know, that players are now earning a lot less.