Re: Agent's Fees

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Jonesy3 wrote:
NC player/intermediary (payments 1/2/2019 to 31/1/2020)

Robbie James Willmott/Elite Management
Joss Christopher Labadie/Elite Management
Tristan Michael Alexander Abrahams/Elite Management
Corey Milton Whitely/Elite Management
Lazar Stojsavljevic/Elite Management
Padraig Amond/Elite Management

Joshua Luke Sheehan/Stellar Football Limited
Ryan Matthew Haynes/Stellar Football Limited

Michael Demetriou/Full Contact

Daniel William Leadbitter/Tamas Byrne

Kyle Elliot Howkins/Unique Sports Management

Thomas Lloyd King/David Bromley

Mark Leo O'Brien/Jonathan Douglas

Dominic Alfred Poleon/Lee Matthews

Ashley Thomas Baker/OmniSports Ltd
So if that list is right, 15 signings or contract extensions. 6 are with Elite, the agency we love to hate. 2 of them (Lazar/Whitely) were failures and the others first team regulars. Hmmm.
Abrahams first team regular.
You reckon?
After a few promising games totally hopeless even in Mickey Mouse Cup towards the end.
2 years I think also.
46 games, 10 goals. We've had a lot worse.

faerun exile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
faerun exile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:In my view a pointless list.

Team A pay the agent £1,000. The player out of his salary of 50,000 pays the agent £9,000.

Team B pays the Agent £10,000. The player pays nothing out of his salary of £41,000.

So team A and team B both pay £51,000 for the services of a player. In both cases the player takes home £41,000. In both cases the agent trousers £10,000.

And the only thing that's different is?
A genuine question as I am not sure but what benefit is there to the player to pay the agent £9k out of his £50k. It's hassle plus would result in player paying more tax on his £50k salary compared to £41k wouldn't it ? Would be a couple of grand down.
People who are self employed and whose earnings fluctuate learn very quickly that you need to control you're expenses claims. In my first year at the bar I earned so little that I didn't pay tax. Second year I earned so much I was paying at the higher rate. Could I claim for the year I earned virtually nothing from the revenue? No. Should I have deferred claiming for my expenses until the second year? Yes. Did I do that? No. Did I make that mistake again? No.
None the wiser. Footballers are paid through PAYE so who is self-employed ? Clubs pay the NI etc.[/quthat

I don't know whether or not all County players are paid via PAYE, and if you do know that then I defer to your knowledge. I certainly don't know that all players at all clubs are.

However assuming that they are the agents themselves would I imagine wish to regulate the payments to themselves. From Macclesfield the payments up front, from more financially sound clubs over a longer period of time.

The truth is that there is an awful lot of liquid cash floating around in football. That combined with the secrecy that everything seems to be shrouded with, and the ingenious tax avoidance that those with money seem able to find, invariably mean that published figures don't reveal the reality.

DT1892 wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Jonesy3 wrote:

So if that list is right, 15 signings or contract extensions. 6 are with Elite, the agency we love to hate. 2 of them (Lazar/Whitely) were failures and the others first team regulars. Hmmm.
You reckon?
After a few promising games totally hopeless even in Mickey Mouse Cup towards the end.
2 years I think also.
Like I said decent start and got poorer as season progressed
Was he a regular starter in the end.
No.
Poorest player on pitch for the later Micky Mouse Cup games

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
DT1892 wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Jonesy3 wrote:

You reckon?
2 years I think also.
Like I said decent start and got poorer as season progressed
Was he a regular starter in the end.
No.
Poorest player on pitch for the later Micky Mouse Cup games
Describes the entire team last season.

FA rules, Section C: Rules Relating to Player Status and Contracts, state (amongst other things):
(v) All payments made to Players must be made by the Club and fully recorded in the accounting records of the Club.
(vi) All salaried payments must be subject to PAYE and National Insurance.
(vii) All salary payments due on written contracts must be stated gross,before PAYE and National Insurance deductions.

NearlyDead wrote:FA rules, Section C: Rules Relating to Player Status and Contracts, state (amongst other things):
(v) All payments made to Players must be made by the Club and fully recorded in the accounting records of the Club.
(vii) All salary payments due on written contracts must be stated gross,before PAYE and National Insurance deductions.
All salaried payments. Not all payments.

NearlyDead wrote:FA rules, Section C: Rules Relating to Player Status and Contracts, state (amongst other things):

Adding to my previous comment it is interesting that all payments made by clubs to players must be fully recorded in the accounting records of the club.

The reason it is interesting is in the use of the word fully. As such it would seem to me that it is not enough to merely say that the club paid a total of........ But rather the records if full should show how much is paid to each individual player.

NearlyDead wrote:No, not all payments. Image rights are subject to CT, but mustn't exceed some percentage of total remuneration (or something like that). All wages, bonuses, etc are subject to PAYE and NI at the time they are made.
If the player is salaried. But quite clearly there is no compulsion to be salaried. It is far from unusual for large and medium sized companies to hire some people as staff and others on a self employed basis. And any rule which attempted to prevent this would be a breach of freedom to trade.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
All salaried payments. Not all payments.
Yes, there was a high-profile HMRC tax investigation whereby certain stars (top flight footballers, managers, pop stars and actors) saw them operate as 'companies' rather than individuals and their company sent in a invoice for monthly fees (work done) and then their companies presumably paid them a dividend. All allegedly to pay tax at a lower rate.

I know of a scenario where a lower-league player would always insist on getting his signing-on fee paid by way of a 'wheelbarrow full of cash'. Bizarre but genuine and true. Said player was signed by the same manager at 3 different clubs.