Re: Barrow

faerun exile wrote:Wasn’t last season but will be in 20/21 in EFL2. Forms the basis of the £250k compo Bolton are reported to be paying. Quite where Bolton have got £250k from is anyone’s guess.
Looks the tip of the iceberg after Bolton have just forked out £600k+ for the services of 32yr old Doyle for next 3 seasons.EFL purported salary / wage cap at £1.25m this season doesn't seem to be figuring in Bolton's signings to date.

I have no information on this, but is there a possibility that until there is an official announcement of a wage cap, Bolton can't be accused of overstepping it. Spend, spend spend and hope the wage cap doesn't materialise.

faerun exile wrote:Wasn’t last season but will be in 20/21 in EFL2. Forms the basis of the £250k compo Bolton are reported to be paying. Quite where Bolton have got £250k from is anyone’s guess.
As indeed is the provenance of the report.

'Bolton are reported as saying'. By whom are Bolton reported as saying this? Where can I find this information?

You may well be right, I certainly don't dispute you heard this. But we hear all manner of things and some sources are more reliable than others.

excessbee wrote:I have no information on this, but is there a possibility that until there is an official announcement of a wage cap, Bolton can't be accused of overstepping it. Spend, spend spend and hope the wage cap doesn't materialise.
Your point is excellent. Possibly more than you realize.

Even if a salary cap were introduced, and I have my doubts, until all present contacts are over it can be argued, and in my view successfully argued that the introduction of a salary cap is unfair.

In terms, Team X have paid the going rate for a 15 goal a season striker. If team Y therefore only have to pay a lower rate for a worker/player of equal ability they have an unfair trading advantage due to an unlawful restriction of trade.

My own view, I am not an Employment lawyer so I don't claim infallibility on this, is that the courts would hold a salary cap unlawful. Any employer arguing he should be allowed to attract the best staff but is prevented from doing so by a restriction on the salary he can offer, I think had an overwhelmingly strong case.

A further problem is that of unforseen consequence. When Universities were forced to put a cap on the maximum charge for a course, it was envisaged that perhaps Law at Oxford would be on the £9,000 limit, but not perhaps Media Studies at Luton. The reality was everyone charge the maximum. I can see the same happening. The PFA will, as usual, have football clubs for breakfast.

Quote from Bolton's Head of football operations, Tobias Phoenix

"Salary caps don’t make any difference to my day – it’ll be outside my control, it’ll be outside of Ian’s control. The difference for us is that we have a blank canvass. I have £1.5million to spend."

Stan A. Einstein wrote:

'Bolton are reported as saying'. By whom are Bolton reported as saying this? Where can I find this information?

You may well be right, I certainly don't dispute you heard this. But we hear all manner of things and some sources are more reliable than others.

It's not difficult to find. Reported in both Barrow and Bolton local press. Bolton offered £150k and Barrow wanted £250k, compo based on the remaining contract / salary of Evatt as a NL v EFL2 manager.

faerun exile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

It's not difficult to find. Reported in both Barrow and Bolton local press. Bolton offered £150k and Barrow wanted £250k, compo based on the remaining contract / salary of Evatt as a NL v EFL2 manager.
Thank you.

I read the Barrow in Furness Mail. Which stated and I quote 'stated in some quarters as £250,000'

So only my opinion but that sounds like a local rag trying to big up a story. As with Newport County having a quality Premier League pitch thanks to Phil Day. Which appeared in the South Wales Argus.

But my thanks are genuine. Having seen your citation I can read around the topic and make up my own mind.