Players To Sign

I know its early and we have no idea as to when we will play again and what the budget will be but lets help MF out with names of players who we think could do a job for us and be in our price range....

Aaron Martin ......been released by Exeter City ( A good centre half at our level and at a good age )..a good replacement for O'Brien.

Dayle Grubb been released by FGR ( I believe that there were rumours that MF wanted to sign him in January but he got injured - always played well against us and looked good )

Re: Players To Sign

I'd be astonished if we signed anyone, frankly, given the financial uncertainty. Indeed, I'd go further and say that to do so would be reckless unless the terms were exceptionally favourable. More likely is that we'll make do with what we've got and supplement it with youth players and a few loanees. And even then we probably need a cup run and a lot of fundraising to put us into the black.

We won't be signing anyone because we are broke. In the last week I've had 2 different sources tell me we are on the brink of liquidation.
It may or may not be true but they are 2 seperate sources with no connection to each other.
Perhaps the board could raise a few quid by having a sponsored silence.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:I'd be astonished if we signed anyone, frankly, given the financial uncertainty. Indeed, I'd go further and say that to do so would be reckless unless the terms were exceptionally favourable. More likely is that we'll make do with what we've got and supplement it with youth players and a few loanees. And even then we probably need a cup run and a lot of fundraising to put us into the black.
Serious question because I could be missing something here.

Newport County have lost the income from 4 league games. However on the plus side they have for the last five Months had 80℅ of the wage bill, for players and office staff, picked up by the Government.

On my basic maths we are Quid's in. Why do you believe otherwise?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Kairdiff Exile wrote:I'd be astonished if we signed anyone, frankly, given the financial uncertainty. Indeed, I'd go further and say that to do so would be reckless unless the terms were exceptionally favourable. More likely is that we'll make do with what we've got and supplement it with youth players and a few loanees. And even then we probably need a cup run and a lot of fundraising to put us into the black.

Newport County have lost the income from 4 league games. However on the plus side they have for the last five Months had 80℅ of the wage bill, for players and office staff, picked up by the Government.

In the medium term, we're likely to be massively down on our main income stream until matchday attendance is back to normal, plus we must have lost loads of ancillary income in the meantime. Remember too that away attendance probably makes up a bigger chunk of our revenue than most lower-league clubs, and that has suffered and will continue to suffer massively. I'd also bet that we've probably lost a proportion of Trust income as many fans will have had to reduce / cut their direct debits amidst their own financial travails because of layoffs / furloughing.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

In the medium term, we're likely to be massively down on our main income stream until matchday attendance is back to normal, plus we must have lost loads of ancillary income in the meantime. Remember too that away attendance probably makes up a bigger chunk of our revenue than most lower-league clubs, and that has suffered and will continue to suffer massively. I'd also bet that we've probably lost a proportion of Trust income as many fans will have had to reduce / cut their direct debits amidst their own financial travails because of layoffs / furloughing.
We are told our wage bill is north of one million. 80% of that over six months is £400,000+. I see your point but £400,000?

I'm not going to guess the figures because I don't have sight of the club's balance sheet. But it seems obvious to me, for the reasons set out above, that income must be much lower than usual (and let's remember that we've basically only kept our nose above water because of cup runs in recent years). The priority must always be to keep the club sustainable over all else, and as such I don't expect us to sign new players at a time when our income streams are so unpredictable.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:I'm not going to guess the figures because I don't have sight of the club's balance sheet. But it seems obvious to me, for the reasons set out above, that income must be much lower than usual (and let's remember that we've basically only kept our nose above water because of cup runs in recent years). The priority must always be to keep the club sustainable over all else, and as such I don't expect us to sign new players at a time when our income streams are so unpredictable.
My view, and I stress it is only my view, is that the board of directors have been utterly incompetent.

We know Flynn is on a far higher wage than is the going rate for a League 2 manager. Now you can argue that he is so good that he warrants that payment. However we also know that because of his inexperience County have also had to hire a mentor for him. Which tends to negate the argument that he, Flynn, is worth the extra.

Further County have given two year contracts to fringe players whilst letting go our better players.

And with the Cup runs, TV monies, transfer monies, it would be remarkable if we were broke. Indeed Gavin Foxhall himself stated in the Argus that County were in a much better financial position than many of our rivals.

I respect your views, and the way you put them forward. However I disagree profoundly with your analysis.

I don't disagree that some of the decisions to award long-term contracts looked odd at the time and look worse with every passing day.

I also think that our business model should focus much more on developing young players (either our own or ones we pick up when they are released from bigger clubs' academies) and then selling them for a profit rather than signing older players and hoping for cup runs to balance the books. It requires better coaching staff and facilities, but in the current climate we'd have found ourselves much better-prepared for the future.

amberbhoy wrote:We won't be signing anyone because we are broke. In the last week I've had 2 different sources tell me we are on the brink of liquidation.
It may or may not be true but they are 2 seperate sources with no connection to each other.
Perhaps the board could raise a few quid by having a sponsored silence.
Paragraphs 1 & 2 Totally nuts"

Paragraph 3 A nice bit of Satire