Re: Jamille Matt to FGR

This pandemic sure will separate the clubs backed by a millionaire from those who aren't...

Really gutted about this, actually. A player that probably wanted to stay and has only gone up the road, all because we can't afford to pay him. There's really tough times ahead.

In an ideal world, similar to a salary cap, the EFL should have placed a moratorium on signing players until all clubs know more about their financial viability, because these only rewards those clubs with such wealth that they aren't reliant on regular revenue streams. That probably would have relied on players having a decent unemployment benefit to fall back on so they don't lose it, but it certainly would have made the leagues fairer from a sporting point of view.

This is not to let our club off the hook, mind. I notice on Twitter that Barrow are teasing signings this evening too. Do they have a rich backer too? If not, if other clubs feel able to sign players, we can't we?

halfmoon wrote:This pandemic sure will separate the clubs backed by a millionaire from those who aren't...

Really gutted about this, actually. A player that probably wanted to stay and has only gone up the road, all because we can't afford to pay him. There's really tough times ahead.

In an ideal world, similar to a salary cap, the EFL should have placed a moratorium on signing players until all clubs know more about their financial viability, because these only rewards those clubs with such wealth that they aren't reliant on regular revenue streams. That probably would have relied on players having a decent unemployment benefit to fall back on so they don't lose it, but it certainly would have made the leagues fairer from a sporting point of view.

This is not to let our club off the hook, mind. I notice on Twitter that Barrow are teasing signings this evening too. Do they have a rich backer too? If not, if other clubs feel able to sign players, we can't we?
Because we have already signed 17 players. Who are being paid by us. 16 now without Mark O'Brien. Upshot of which is that our wage bill is going to be far higher than most if not all of our rivals.

Giving out two year contracts makes sense to very good players, but to run of the mill players who are easy to replace, not so much.

Reminiscent of signing croc's. Makes perfect sense to take a bit of a chance on one, no sense whatsoever to sign two or three.

Unfortunately Newport County don't seem to realize that there is a difference between scratching an itch and tearing the skin.

Regarding us having acquired too many mediocre players, was it ever confirmed that a lot of our recent signings were 'package deals' from Elite Management (i.e. 'if you want this good player, you have to take this mediocre one too'), or were people just jumping to conclusions?

halfmoon wrote:Regarding us having acquired too many mediocre players, was it ever confirmed that a lot of our recent signings were 'package deals' from Elite Management (i.e. 'if you want this good player, you have to take this mediocre one too'), or were people just jumping to conclusions?
It certainly wasn't confirmed. Nothing ever is. However quite why County decided to sign so many players on extended contracts does deserve an explanation.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
halfmoon wrote:Regarding us having acquired too many mediocre players, was it ever confirmed that a lot of our recent signings were 'package deals' from Elite Management (i.e. 'if you want this good player, you have to take this mediocre one too'), or were people just jumping to conclusions?
It certainly wasn't confirmed. Nothing ever is. However quite why County decided to sign so many players on extended contracts does deserve an explanation.
If you think back to when butcher took over and virtually replaced the whole squad the idea thereafter of always having a % of the squad signed for the following season to give some stability and not start every season with an entire new team made sound sense this strategy has reaped some benefits last cpl of seasons but it will always be dependant on the players signed so when it works out great and obviously the opposite if it doesn’t knowing when will always be the the great mystery any manager has to solve

I agree that the 2yr deals are coming back to bite us now, but I was talking to the club secretary at another Lge2 side recently. They, like us, are geographically remote and he said the only way their board can entice players to join them is through prolonged success with a good manager or through contracts long enough to allow the player his family to move to the area, uproot the kids from their schools, Mrs has to find a new job etc.

Makes sense really. But we really need to scout and assess all incoming players properly as the last couple of years have seen some uninspiring signings at RP.

Percy plunkett wrote:That Elite deal was strange and appears to have backfired so glad to see the end of it.The management need to up their game with this years signings,no more duds.One or two bad signings now and then can be overcome but five or six in last seasons squad is not acceptable.
I think it was lazy recruitment signing a contract with an agency to help with your recruitment. Does anyone think they gave a damn about the quality of players they were sending here.
Did we even scout the players or just take their word for it.

George Street-Bridge wrote:
amberbhoy wrote: Does anyone think they gave a damn about the quality of players they were sending here.
Agree we made some very poor signings, but obviously any agency entering a deal with a club will want repeat business with that club and others. This one would appear to have ruined their reputation.
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

Very disappointing. Jamma and Collins playing together - that should have happened down the County. Based on Collins' performances at Morecambe I was disappointed he didn't come back but no surprise that FGR have more funds than us. Wonder how they will deal with the salary cap....