Re: Fans to return in October ?

Agree. The less chance of cross-contamination the better. Who knows, the fixtures could even reflect that. Three blocks of eight teams, home and away fixtures, use those fourteen matches to allow clubs to get organised. Although, as I said before, the idea of each team playing each other once in each half season would have to be ditched for that.

excessbee wrote:Agree. The less chance of cross-contamination the better. Who knows, the fixtures could even reflect that. Three blocks of eight teams, home and away fixtures, use those fourteen matches to allow clubs to get organised. Although, as I said before, the idea of each team playing each other once in each half season would have to be ditched for that.
Oddly I recall teams playing each other twice in a season before the clocks went back. I hadn't realized this was no longer the case. Out of interest does anyone know when this principle was introduced?

It's certainly been in place in League Two since we returned, along with the attempt to get postponed matches played asap. I like both those arrangements. No more of one team getting four or five games behind schedule. The table at the end of December is a true reflection of strengths and weaknesses.
Last edited by excessbee on July 31st, 2020, 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Collars wrote:Listening to Boris just now I no longer hold out much hope for fans any time soon. It will be interesting to see if the EFL thinks that Leagues 1 and 2 can still operate without any fans coming through the turnstiles. Worrying times!
Despite many worrying about the opposite being the case, at this rate only the Welsh clubs in the EFL will be able to host fans any time soon – and do so safely, not recklessly, assuming Wales continues to manage this far better than England.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:With the chief medical officer saying we might have relaxed as far as we can go, adding nothing to the wage bill yet seems very prudent.
Prudent? Perhaps. Very prudent would to have not had 17 on two year contracts. 17 looking very imprudent to me.
If our board knew about a global pandemic on the horizon when they issued those contracts in July 2019 then they really should have told someone...

halfmoon wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:With the chief medical officer saying we might have relaxed as far as we can go, adding nothing to the wage bill yet seems very prudent.
Prudent? Perhaps. Very prudent would to have not had 17 on two year contracts. 17 looking very imprudent to me.
If our board knew about a global pandemic on the horizon when they issued those contracts in July 2019 then they really should have told someone...
No. However 17 players on two year contracts is clearly far too many. It leaves no room for manoeuvre. A pandemic, an economic collapse, a winter like 1963 and so on.

And in any event two year contracts to players who are not up to League 2 standard was always going to lead to problems. Even Alan G Bryant thinks four of them don't cut the mustard.