Re: Cardiff and Swansea both in the playoffs

Special branch wrote:Totally agree: either in the Premiership would be great for (South) Wales.We would benefit through loans. However, If I was a betting man I would put money on Fulham.
Why are we more likely to benefit from loans if either Swansea or Cardiff are in the Premier League?
Also if this were true, why do you want to be inherently inferior to either Swansea or Cardiff?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Special branch wrote:Totally agree: either in the Premiership would be great for (South) Wales.We would benefit through loans. However, If I was a betting man I would put money on Fulham.
Why are we more likely to benefit from loans if either Swansea or Cardiff are in the Premier League?
Also if this were true, why do you want to be inherently inferior to either Swansea or Cardiff?
What's most useful to us won't be the loans, but hoovering up out-of-contract players and academy rejects from those clubs. It's notoriously difficult to get players to sign for clubs when you're off the beaten track and require players to relocate. Would we have ended up with someone like Josh Sheehan, one of our best players the past few seasons, if he was a Londoner or from the north of England? Highly doubtful.

As for being 'inherently inferior', that's the reality. We have to take what we can get. We feed off the scraps of bigger clubs and hope to slowly grow. That's the model for every club at our level, unless you've got a really good academy system.

halfmoon wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
What's most useful to us won't be the loans, but hoovering up out-of-contract players and academy rejects from those clubs. It's notoriously difficult to get players to sign for clubs when you're off the beaten track and require players to relocate. Would we have ended up with someone like Josh Sheehan, one of our best players the past few seasons, if he was a Londoner or from the north of England? Highly doubtful.

As for being 'inherently inferior', that's the reality. We have to take what we can get. We feed off the scraps of bigger clubs and hope to slowly grow. That's the model for every club at our level, unless you've got a really good academy system.
Let's examine this.

Firstly, the academy at both Swansea and Cardiff will be the same players whichever league Cardiff and Swansea are in. So I fail to see the advantage in any event of either club being promoted.

Secondly, Swansea is so similar to Newport in terms of size and economy that a visitor from Mars would struggle to tell the difference. I accept fully that we are inferior to Swansea. But there is nothing inherent about this. However our lack of ambition and belief is a real problem. And being satisfied with the crumbs falling from the table is not something with which I think we should aspire to.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
halfmoon wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Let's examine this.

Firstly, the academy at both Swansea and Cardiff will be the same players whichever league Cardiff and Swansea are in. So I fail to see the advantage in any event of either club being promoted.

Secondly, Swansea is so similar to Newport in terms of size and economy that a visitor from Mars would struggle to tell the difference. I accept fully that we are inferior to Swansea. But there is nothing inherent about this. However our lack of ambition and belief is a real problem. And being satisfied with the crumbs falling from the table is not something with which I think we should aspire to.
Nobody said anything about 'aspiring' to be inferior, but the reality is we are inferior by every metric. The only way to get around that is to improve incrementally over time, often by living off the scraps of clubs that have far greater resources than us. That's just the nature of football in 2020. I'm not saying it's good or bad, it's just the way it is, and the club needs to run with that in mind if it's to be successful.

Triangle wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:This is the Cardiff City who let us use their training ground ahead of the L2 playoff final.
We trained on the Actual Cardiff City Stadium pitch.

Part of the fun of football is local bragging rights. And so long as it remains a joke as opposed to the few very sad people who take it seriously, it would be a shame to lose it. I don't mind that County supporters 'hate' Cardiff City, I do mind that neither Cardiff or Swansea 'hate' us.

halfmoon wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
halfmoon wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

Let's examine this.

Nobody said anything about 'aspiring' to be inferior, but the reality is we are inferior by every metric. The only way to get around that is to improve incrementally over time, often by living off the scraps of clubs that have far greater resources than us. That's just the nature of football in 2020. I'm not saying it's good or bad, it's just the way it is, and the club needs to run with that in mind if it's to be successful.
We have improved incrementally. In 1989 we played in the Hellenic League. Many increments from there to League 2.