Andrew Penman / South Wales Argus

The reporter responsible for covering County at the Argus has been made redundant. It’s really bad news for us if the local paper isn’t going to be covering the club as closely as they once were. It’s important for a supporter-owned club to have a third party grilling the decisions made, digging below the surface etc.

Obviously a massive shame for the guy himself too. Always enjoyed his match reports, columns etc

Re: Andrew Penman / South Wales Argus

Filming Press and Post-match interviews I've got to know Andrew quite well and he always came across as a very respectful and polite reporter when dealing with the Manager,players,ect. and in so doing usually enabled him to get the copy he required for the Argus. After reporting on the Club for so long I think he has now become a firm supporter of the Club!

I don't "do" Social Media so, Andrew, if you read this I hope you and your family are well, and I'm sure you'll get another position in the Press/Media area soon.

All the best for the future,

Glyn.

halfmoon wrote:

The reporter responsible for covering County at the Argus has been made redundant. It’s really bad news for us if the local paper isn’t going to be covering the club as closely as they once were. It’s important for a supporter-owned club to have a third party grilling the decisions made, digging below the surface etc.

Obviously a massive shame for the guy himself too. Always enjoyed his match reports, columns etc
Sorry but grilling the decisions made never came across to me.
Think he just wrote what Foxhall told him to..

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
halfmoon wrote:

Perhaps, but that's irrelevant to the wider point really. Assuming he won't be replaced, that'll be very little useful coverage from the local newspaper from now on. Probably just re-written press releases, if that. That's not healthy for anyone interested in the club.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
halfmoon wrote:

I always saw that, but, if County is one of your only sources of writing then you are not going to ask questions that could cut off a workstream. Sadly, a lot of the columns that were written by him didn't really say much that most supporters didn't already know and those columns that were a commentary were diluted and uncontroversial. I don't blame him for that because he had to earn a living. I really wish him all the best in the future and am saddened that Covid-19 continues to have a day to day effect on people's livelihoods.

Very sad that a guy loses his job but,there must be other journalists opportunities out there.If not then he could take up painting and decorating,I have done it for 44 years,the money is shite and everybody thinks it’s easy and one coat will do it.If he wants to give it a go,I can give him some contacts,I don’t think he would stick it for the 13 years he’ s been a journo but the offer is there if he wants it.