Re: Macclesfield relegated

Next question is will the National League accept them? There is still the matter of their winding up order, adjourned (ten?) times which is next due in September, a few of weeks before the season is due to start. Can't see the NL just waiting for that to play out before making a decision. Wrexham had to put up a bond (£250k I think) when they were in financial difficulties. After a season of not having funds to pay their players, I doubt they would be able to cover a sum of that magnitude. They might decide that taking on a basket case like Macclesfield is just too risky

I'm sad for Macc who, years back, were my nearest EFL club. There's also a sadness that, like a number of clubs, they fell into the wrong hands.

Ultimately someone has to go down, and it feels right that it's them. Though where this leaves Stevenage's preparations is anyone's guess.

If those owed money call in their debts at the next High Court date, Macclesfield may have the shortest ever stay in the National League. There are some comments on the Macclesfield forum suggesting they can now pay of debts using the parachute payment coming their way. Surely that was never the intention of the scheme.

The latest episode played out today. The High Court granted them a further seven days extension (Macclesfield asked for 28 days). Apparently they are in the process of arranging a sale. If that isn't forthcoming the owner will pay their debt... yeah right. The total amounts to £780k, made up of £188k to HMRC and £592 to eight other creditors. Even worse news is that the person they are negotiating with is the same person who was apparently lined up to buy Bury in December...... Oh dear!