Re: Calling all Numismatists

Yeh I saw that as well. Goes against everything I have heard. The problem with using chemicals to clean coins is that chemicals will have different effects on different types on coins as they are made from different metals. It all depends on the chemical you use and the coin metal being cleaned. Glad it worked out for you this time though.

Hearing reports of serious cash flow problems in the US. For several years, they, like us have been moving towards a cashless society. As the Covid crisis developed this pattern increased significantly as people moved to online shopping etc with a view to avoid handling cash because of the possibility of virus transfer. We see that here.

The US authorities have now urged people and retailers to start using cash again as stores start to reopen. They have even given incentives to do so. I wonder if we will see the same situation here.

There is much less cash about than a few years ago. You only have to see the Royal Mint mintage figures to see that. No 20p or £2 coin released since 2017. I think this has significance.
I suspect that coins with a relatively low mintage (not at the bottom, but near the bottom) will see their value increase significantly due to a shortage because of hoarding etc. These coins are not particularly valuable yet, but have potential.

If people are interested, I would look out for the other three £2 Commonwealth games as well as the Britannia £2 from 2015. Also look for 2012 football, wresting and judo 50p’s. a quick look at the change checker price tracker indicates that for some of these coins there has been a 30% increase in price recently. Good luck.

News of another error coin to look out for. Apparently some Shakespeare tragedy coins issued in 2016 have the wrong edge lettering on them. They have got mixed up with the edge lettering on the 2016 First World War coin. This happened when the coins were still blanks but the Royal Mint says they are genuine.

The edge lettering on the Shakespeare coins should say ‘What a piece of work is a man’. The error coins say ‘For King and Country’.

No indication yet as to how much they are worth. Keep them if you find them though - they will be worth something in the future. Good luck.

phil_in_npton wrote:Good Morning

Was only looking at my sparse collection this morning, ordered a couple of ID pages for my folder.
One for the Alphabet 10ps. My one and only 10p will look a bit lost!

Phil in Northampton
Morning Phil.

It’s a pity you only have one 10p coin. There are lots out there apparently but are very hard to find. I think they are being hoarded by collectors, thats just my view.

You may have mentioned this before but I think like others you only collect coins that you are given in change. Each to their own etc, but I couldn’t do that, I go looking for them, all types.

I suppose it is a bit like train spotting. If you stay in your home station you won’t see all the types of trains. If you take a journey elsewhere, you will see lots more :cheers: I suppose that makes me a hoarder :grin: Cant help it, it’s addictive.

Morning Frank,

The two Paddington coins you have form part of a four coin Paddington Bear set. Two released in 2018, and two released in 2019.

The 2018 coins are;
Paddington at the Palace - mintage 5,901,000
Paddington at the Station - mintage 5,001,000

The 2019 coins are;
Paddington at St Paul’s Cathedral - no mintage figures released by the RM yet
Paddington at the Tower of London - no mintage figures released by the RM yet.

So, the Station one you have is probably only going to be face value. However, no idea about the value of the Tower one yet as no figures available. Could be another Kew Gardens mate, you never know. I would keep them to make up a set.

Great for the grandkids as you know, my 5 year old granddaughter loves them. I bought her a BU Gruffalo 50p coin a year or so back and she loves it. Wait till she finds out there are two, she will want that one as well :grin:

Good Evening

Sorry, just catching up on here after leaving it a while, referring back to your train spotting reference Mike, to take the conversation onto a different track...

I obviously took my train spotting more seriously all those years ago than I do my coin collecting!

I would travel all over the country, even week long holidays on an “all line rover ticket” sleeping on the trains and returning home smelling like an old tramp!

Those were the days!

It combined well with the football too, in my days before having a car, travelling to County away games on the train gave an added interest to attending the match. Always alone mind you, I recall a midweek game at Brentford, getting the wrong train out of London And not getting there till half time!

I have another “collecting “ tale, which I’ll save for another day!

Phil in Northampton

phil_in_npton wrote:Good Evening

Sorry, just catching up on here after leaving it a while, referring back to your train spotting reference Mike, to take the conversation onto a different track...

I obviously took my train spotting more seriously all those years ago than I do my coin collecting!

I would travel all over the country, even week long holidays on an “all line rover ticket” sleeping on the trains and returning home smelling like an old tramp!

Those were the days!

It combined well with the football too, in my days before having a car, travelling to County away games on the train gave an added interest to attending the match. Always alone mind you, I recall a midweek game at Brentford, getting the wrong train out of London And not getting there till half time!

I have another “collecting “ tale, which I’ll save for another day!

Phil in Northampton

Hope it doesn't involve stealing things off washing lines :cheers:

Been doing some checking of coin prices this morning and the COVID effect has definitely been active. It seems that there are more people trying to find out how much their coins are worth on the various websites. A few things I have noticed this morning;

A complete set with album of 2012 Olympic 50p coins going for £129.00. Scarcecoins. Hmm. Face value of coins £14.50, album a tenner.
A Kew Gardens 50p recently went for £229. Ridiculous.
The undated (2008) 20p now goes for over £45. Reasonable.
The English, Scottish and Welsh £2 commonwealth games have all nearly doubled in asking price over the past few months. Crazy.
Even the ‘normal’ Beatrix Potter coins issued since 2016 have gone up in value. In reality, some of these are relatively scarce, others aren’t. Be careful. Go to the ‘change checker’ website if you are interested. All the info’ regarding mintage is there.

The highest price rise I have seen is for error coins. Keep a look out for:
A 20p coin struck in 1p bronze.
A 10p silver 2p coin
The 1982 new pence 2p coin
New £1 coins with different dates on each side. A few of these have been found now. If you try and sell, it is best to get it verified as an error coin by the Royal Mint.

My own view is that we may see a price crash soon as the price rises cannot go on forever surely. Mind you, I have been saying that for months now. One coin I would not buy at the moment is the Kew Gardens 50p. There is a rollercoaster ride going on there. Don’t get on it.

Edit. Undated 20p coin of course, not 50p.

News today that the Royal Mint has no plans to produce any more 2p or £2 coins for the next 10 years! The demand for cash has reduced significantly in the past year and even COVID has had an effect on this. I can’t see any way that it is going to get better in the long term as we move towards a cashless society using cards more often.

The main groups affected are low income groups and the elderly who tend to use cash more often. It’s sad, but seems there is nothing we can do about it.

I suspect that it will actually get worse as collectors start to hoard coins making them even more scarce. We haven’t actually had a £2 coin issued for general circulation since 2017. They have been made available in annual sets though. Watch the value of these £2 set coins rocket in future weeks. If you see a £2 coin post 2017 it will have been stripped from an annual set. It’s value will also increase.

For each coin in circulation, there are 26 times more coins available than would normally be for issuing when they are needed. It doesn’t seem like that will happen.

pembsexile wrote:News today that the Royal Mint has no plans to produce any more 2p or £2 coins for the next 10 years! The demand for cash has reduced significantly in the past year and even COVID has had an effect on this. I can’t see any way that it is going to get better in the long term as we move towards a cashless society using cards more often.

The main groups affected are low income groups and the elderly who tend to use cash more often. It’s sad, but seems there is nothing we can do about it.

I suspect that it will actually get worse as collectors start to hoard coins making them even more scarce. We haven’t actually had a £2 coin issued for general circulation since 2017. They have been made available in annual sets though. Watch the value of these £2 set coins rocket in future weeks. If you see a £2 coin post 2017 it will have been stripped from an annual set. It’s value will also increase.

For each coin in circulation, there are 26 times more coins available than would normally be for issuing when they are needed. It doesn’t seem like that will happen.
Morning mate.
I still do not understand why £2 coins are so limited.
I would of thought that coin was the most useful with its high value.
The times I have bought something for a few pound and only had a tenner to be told "no fivers and no £2 coins available here so you gete 6/7/8 £1 coins instead in your change. :roll: