Total votes: 1 (2%)
Total votes: 2 (4%)
Total votes: 1 (2%)
24 (No votes)
Total votes: 49

Re: Prediction for season

neilcork68 wrote:Early , I know and time for things to change before the season kicks off but where do you think we will finish this season ??????

League ------- 20th
FA Cup. -------- 2nd round
League Cup ----- 1st round
Twobobcup --------Quarter finals
I do enjoy your posts Neil, but I prefer an optimistic prediction as opposed to your realism approach. So in that optimistic mood I'll go

League -------- 8th or 9th
FA Cup -------- 3rd round (perhaps even 4th)
League Cup (is this the Carabao Cup?) ------- 1st round (it's never been for us)
Twobobcup ---------frankly who cares?

Re: The annual where will we finish thread poll

Stan A. Einstein wrote:Went for 22nd. We struggled last season and I don't think the squad is as strong. I think next season will be touch and go.
If we end up there Stan Flynny and his team will be long gone sacked by March.
Pressure on GF to fall on his sword also.
Lets hope that's not the case.
With what we have it will be a struggle though.

I've gone for 11th, but I think it's more of a guessing game this season than any in recent years. Normally in Division 4 there is one team miles better than the rest, one basket-case club who are basically down by Easter and then you can throw a blanket over the rest. This season I think will see much less predictability and a lot of surprises. There are likely to be several clubs in the bottom three divisions who'll go to the wall so relegation may not be a concern - but surviving financially could be a struggle for all but a handful! I also think that clubs like ours with thin squads will find it hard to play twice a week for the majority of the season, and if we get injuries or suspensions then we'll find it hard to cope.

However, as I said on the podcast last week, we've got one of the strongest first-choice back lines in Div 4, and I like the attacking signings we've made too. And although we must have one of the smallest incomes in the Football League, we by-and-large live within our means and so I think we'll weather the financial storm. We've also got stability from having the same manager and a similar backroom setup to recent years, and a squad who've not had too much turnover. So although I think we lack the quality needed to win promotion, I can see a mid-table to top-half finish. And that'll do just fine given all the turbulence.

As always, my biggest plea is for us to play more expansive football. I go to games to be entertained, and I'd rather we played well and lost than won by being physical and playing percentage balls for 90 minutes. I know that might be a minority view, but there must at least be a halfway house!

Kairdiff Exile wrote:I've gone for 11th, but I think it's more of a guessing game this season than any in recent years. Normally in Division 4 there is one team miles better than the rest, one basket-case club who are basically down by Easter and then you can throw a blanket over the rest. This season I think will see much less predictability and a lot of surprises. There are likely to be several clubs in the bottom three divisions who'll go to the wall so relegation may not be a concern - but surviving financially could be a struggle for all but a handful! I also think that clubs like ours with thin squads will find it hard to play twice a week for the majority of the season, and if we get injuries or suspensions then we'll find it hard to cope.

However, as I said on the podcast last week, we've got one of the strongest first-choice back lines in Div 4, and I like the attacking signings we've made too. And although we must have one of the smallest incomes in the Football League, we by-and-large live within our means and so I think we'll weather the financial storm. We've also got stability from having the same manager and a similar backroom setup to recent years, and a squad who've not had too much turnover. So although I think we lack the quality needed to win promotion, I can see a mid-table to top-half finish. And that'll do just fine given all the turbulence.

As always, my biggest plea is for us to play more expansive football. I go to games to be entertained, and I'd rather we played well and lost than won by being physical and playing percentage balls for 90 minutes. I know that might be a minority view, but there must at least be a halfway house!
Can't really argue with any of that. Good precise of where we are in my view too. Mid-table somewhere in the league and a 4th round cup run for me. Btw anyone know what's happening with the Salford v Portsmouth tinpot cup final form last season?
Sadly by having up to 5 teams using RP this season I think we can forget tippy tappy football on the deck.This season I don't give a sh*t how we play just so long as we stay up.

I've gone for a 14th finish. I think MF has identified one of our problems last year (an obvious one - lack of goals) and has recruited 3 very different but good quality strikers to help.

Problem is I can't see our previous style of play helping these strikers much. I would play Podge behind the front two but almost as a midfielder, this may help. Otherwise I can't see him playing much this season.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
weownourclub wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:21st , out in the first round (that we play) of each tournament
Sad to say pretty spot on.
Jesus wept. Haven't kicked a ball yet lads.
That's true of every prediction. Odd you don't say the same to those who predict a good season, don't you think?

Exactly Stan :lol:

Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
weownourclub wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:21st , out in the first round (that we play) of each tournament
Sad to say pretty spot on.
Jesus wept. Haven't kicked a ball yet lads.
That's true of every prediction. Odd you don't say the same to those who predict a good season, don't you think?

Exactly Stan :lol:
This has aged well. Good job you didn’t put money on it.

Brilliant win and performance!

UTC