First game optimism

Haven't been on the board for years, but after watching yesterdays performance I felt for once I would post because I have seen something to make me feel optimistic. That Scunthorpe performance was one a world away from the dross that we had to put up with last season. The most coherent and fluid County team I've seen, possibly since we got back in the league. It looks like Flynny has round pegs in round holes and has deliberately set out to make a passing side. Shepherd and Twine (he'll get some edge of the box goalds) look very comfortable on the ball and are great additions. Haynes looks a division above, of course we have Sheehan who will probably be poached for good money and Abrahams looks great. Dolan as a sweeper is inspired. Collins, Bennet, Podge and Ellison make a strong bench. Early days of course, but I'm confident we will give it a good go this season, and play some proper football on the way as we do so. UTC

Re: First game optimism

Was refreshing to see us pass and try to play.The downside is you can over do it.Their goal came from MD passing across the pitch when he had options to get it forward.I am not keen on us passing back and for in our own penalty box either,we just need to get the balance right between playing a passing game and playing safe.The three games so far has had a different approach from the hoofball of last season so hopefully just tweak this new style and we will be happy with what we see.

countymadbel wrote:Typical can't watch the games live and we have a brilliant season but I'd take that all day long. UTC
Good Afternoon

It’s true that at the moment crowds are not allowed, and would be interesting to see the take up figures for the I-follow live stream. Myself and son paid out for it, so hopefully County benefits from all the tenners paid out by fans who would have attended.
Regards yesterday I felt in the end ( barring the penalty decision) we got a fair point a piece. Their fantastic equalising strike in normal times would have really galvanised the home support giving extra impetus to the home team. The fact that didn’t happen can only have been in our favour.
Home advantage may have much less influence whilst behind closed doors, especially for the larger well supported teams. Maybe also less influences on the referee, whether subconsciously or otherwise without thousands of baying supporters screaming for a decision in their teams favour.
I too feel optimistic for the coming season and ironically will probably see more of the teams performances ( on the screen) than in a normal season.
As always, after ten games or so a better picture will appear of how we stand in the division, my cautious optimism says above half way will do!

Phil in Northampton

Totally agree about match and performance.
Dolan with his lack of pace in midfield was an accident waiting to happen now with O'Brien unfortunately retired and our new young signing from The Conference South who plays at centre back out for a couple of months there was an opportunity for a player to slot in to cover this vacancy. Matty has a great football brain and can pass the ball through a eye of a needle playing a sweeper role has resurrected his career and apart from his first season with us has been a liability now this change in position has been a revelation.
The defence has a great mix of aggression and guile. Howkins needs to improve his offensive headers should have scored at least one if headed the ball properly from set pieces.
Ellison I feel has had a great influence on Abrahams improved goal finishing and confidence as a striker.
Early days but more positives than negatives from the opening game and County are playing less hoof ball and playing the ball on the floor with good pass and movement.
Good post Neal mate.

Agreed Somerton, this is the best football playing side County have had since getting back in the league. But if we are to win as many games as we should then, number one priority is getting someone who can score with his head to get on the end of all these sumptuous crosses from Haynes and Shepherd, either get Howkins/Mickey to make late runs into the box at corners or get a heading target man is which Taylor is not. Nice to see Twine get one of those edge of the box goals I forecast so soon above last night :) UTC