Re: Support needed for Sports Trust

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
jonescmj1 wrote:
supporter wrote:As a proven "builder" and not "blocker" in this field
what is your plan for solid foundations, project management and leadership to build this.

I wish you every success, you appear to have a proven track record but what support can you provide?
Work in progress, there's only so much time/effort I'm prepared to put in without a modicum of positivity, from the sports clubs of Newport. Simply put, just this one project will more than fund a mortgage on buying back RP, especially if the Council borrows the money at preferential rates. Follow the supporters group on Linkedin we have an extensive set of skills that can be utilised using modern technology. The UK is three times the size of Australia, bathing is more common in the UK, many Oz households have only showers, Eire is another English speaking market. We went from business idea to launching the website in four weeks, costing $300, neither of us are IT experts etc etc. Oh we dont use any advertising relying only on Facebook, more opportunity!
Colin,

As I have said I wish you every success. But if you want to engage people you do need to be more specific. And you do need to be far less dismissive of anyone who doesn't just accept. People are not negligent because they don't reply instantly to your emails. People are not blockers simply because they ask questions. And in truth all I can really discern of a business plan is that it relies on a whole load of people to work for nothing and someone to gift 1500 square metres of warehousing to turn in a profit.

To interest me, I don't care what the turnover is, I would need to know what the profit was per hour worked. Telling me that you went three times to Harvard Business School tells me nothing. For all I know you did a degree, a masters and a PHD at Harvard. Then again it might mean you did three on line courses. As a barrister I lost count of the number of times I had the Queen of England as my client. Sounds impressive? Not really, when newly qualified I lost count of the number of timed I prosecuted speeding motorists at Bedford Magistrates Court. Just different ways of saying the same thing.

It is possible your idea will work. To interest anyone who can help you you need to research the UK market. Formulate a business plan. Do a cost benefit analysis. A dream is great, but without a plan it's just a dream. I do wish you well, I'm not trying to belittle you. But simply saying I'm a successful business man and be positive and we'll all make a fortune just isn't going to cut the mustard.
That is exactly what I want someone to evaluate the potential for the UK of a business, with a 12-15 % product cost with a running rate of $2m per annumm 80k of staff costs and $34k warehousing cost. The UK Market has three times the population of Australia, there are more baths per capita in the UK than Australia and the UK has Eire as an additional market. As regards the other businesses, they are not part of the bathbombworld sales figures and have been set up separately , so they can be on sold separately. Neither the Rugby nor the Harriers have replied and a lesser person would have given up by now. It is worth noting we have only used 1 marketing channel Facebook! We have not used Google Ads, or any other marketing channel, because the business is growing to fast , especially given Covid restrictions.

I could do everything, but there's a famous saying, 'Nourish them don't feed them'

daftasfxxx wrote:Looking through your websites your far too expensive for this country, Britain's love a bargain and with established competitors at least have the price for what you're offering I can only see failure

No-one is telling you what price to charge, that is a local decision based on local market knowledge. Name a local (UK) competitor for the products we are supplying.

1) What do you mean by 'Sports Trust'? I'm not quite sure whether you are aiming this at Newport County Supporters Trust or whether you are open to investing in others. Newport Dragons have a well capitalized owner, unless you are thinking of Newport R.F.C.

2) It seems to me that you are seeking some fundamental preliminary work. There seems to be nobody here with a start up background who could do it pro bono, but if your business is $2m+ then you seem to have enough capital, and sufficient confidence that any UK venture will be profitable, to seek some professional input. Especially as you would be doing it on the basis of a return on this investment for yourself also? I would be particularly concerned if someone here advised you as, let's be honest, I'm not sure we're impartial - we would all want to see money coming into the club and would likely be a bit biased. If your capital and that of supporters is going to be at risk in the form of a GoFundMe, the business plan should surely be based on the independent professional advice of someone with experience in this field, rather than optimistic supporters. Especially at a time when cash is hard to come by, not least for a League Two football club with no current income.

landinho wrote:1) What do you mean by 'Sports Trust'? I'm not quite sure whether you are aiming this at Newport County Supporters Trust or whether you are open to investing in others. Newport Dragons have a well capitalized owner, unless you are thinking of Newport R.F.C.

2) It seems to me that you are seeking some fundamental preliminary work. There seems to be nobody here with a start up background who could do it pro bono, but if your business is $2m+ then surely you have enough capital and enough confidence your business will be profitable to seek some professional input, especially as you would be expecting future profits for yourself also? I would be particularly concerned if someone here advised you as, let's be honest, I'm not sure we're impartial - we would all want to see money coming into the club and would likely be a bit biased.
I'm thinking of a New Discretionary Trust to benefit Football, Newport Rugby The Harriers eta al.
I am not expecting any profit for myself all the profit goes to the Trust for distribution to the Trustees, ratios to be determined by the deeds of the Trust.

The profit per annum, would be more than enough to pay a mortgage on RP. Enough top buy back RP and develop it for both football codes.

jonescmj1 wrote:
landinho wrote:1) What do you mean by 'Sports Trust'? I'm not quite sure whether you are aiming this at Newport County Supporters Trust or whether you are open to investing in others. Newport Dragons have a well capitalized owner, unless you are thinking of Newport R.F.C.

2) It seems to me that you are seeking some fundamental preliminary work. There seems to be nobody here with a start up background who could do it pro bono, but if your business is $2m+ then surely you have enough capital and enough confidence your business will be profitable to seek some professional input, especially as you would be expecting future profits for yourself also? I would be particularly concerned if someone here advised you as, let's be honest, I'm not sure we're impartial - we would all want to see money coming into the club and would likely be a bit biased.
I'm thinking of a New Discretionary Trust to benefit Football, Newport Rugby The Harriers eta al.
I am not expecting any profit for myself all the profit goes to the Trust for distribution to the Trustees, ratios to be determined by the deeds of the Trust.

The profit per annum, would be more than enough to pay a mortgage on RP. Enough top buy back RP and develop it for both football codes.
There are a lot of smart people many whom have joined the Linkedin group, I'm hoping that they are able to assist, in reshaping a Strawman Strategy plan I am working on. Whilst running growing other businesses in a Covid World, that makes increasing staffing impossible.

jonescmj1 wrote:
jonescmj1 wrote:

There are a lot of smart people many whom have joined the Linkedin group, I'm hoping that they are able to assist, in reshaping a Strawman Strategy plan I am working on. Whilst running growing other businesses in a Covid World, that makes increasing staffing impossible.
I'm a bit confused by all this then. It seems strange to pursue a route whereby people work pro bono for capital that goes directly to a Sports Trust. Firstly because no one sports club stands to benefit sufficiently. The Harriers would likely not want a ground with County/NRFC and vice versa.

But secondly because there is no personal incentive to give up what is a huge amount of time. A profit motive is essential for investors, and for ensuring a business (like your existing one) is viable. Optimism, pro bono part time support, and charity will not ensure your UK venture is fundamentally a sound venture, expertise and commitment will.

If I were you I would start the business as a for profit venture by your Australian arm, with a regular percentage of future profits being invested in sports here. That way everyone is compensated for their time and effort while the club(s) receive a key income. Otherwise I see no motive for anyone to support you - supporting a football/running/rugby club is a part time thing for us all and many of us all have other full time jobs. This kind of venture would really require at least one or two individuals going full time in the UK behind it from day 1.

landinho wrote:
jonescmj1 wrote:
jonescmj1 wrote:

I'm a bit confused by all this then. It seems strange to pursue a route whereby people work pro bono for capital that goes directly to a Sports Trust. Firstly because no one sports club stands to benefit sufficiently. The Harriers would likely not want a ground with County/NRFC and vice versa.

But secondly because there is no personal incentive to give up what is a huge amount of time. A profit motive is essential for investors, and for ensuring a business (like your existing one) is viable. Optimism, pro bono part time support, and charity will not ensure your UK venture is fundamentally a sound venture, expertise and commitment will.

If I were you I would start the business as a for profit venture by your Australian arm, with a regular percentage of future profits being invested in sports here. That way everyone is compensated for their time and effort while the club(s) receive a key income. Otherwise I see no motive for anyone to support you - supporting a football/running/rugby club is a part time thing for us all and many of us all have other full time jobs. This kind of venture would really require at least one or two individuals going full time in the UK behind it from day 1.

The initial idea was for volunteers, Newport County AFC only all monies going to the Supporters Trust. However, give the rapid growth we have experienced I decided to widen the scope and involve the greater sports population of Newport. I envsage the creation of a Newport Athletics Club type body, that repurchased RP from the WRU and developed the site, but the Trust would have discretion to back other projects, including sports and social change.

landinho wrote:
jonescmj1 wrote:
jonescmj1 wrote:

My husband and business partner, dos not want any more stress, we don't need additional income, we don't have any children to leave inheritances to, I do have expertise I can use to support a not for profit business launch (That does not mean non profit making), I do have many other ideas for a Trust to develop and for the club specifically to grow digitally.

jonescmj1 wrote:
daftasfxxx wrote:Looking through your websites your far too expensive for this country, Britain's love a bargain and with established competitors at least have the price for what you're offering I can only see failure

No-one is telling you what price to charge, that is a local decision based on local market knowledge. Name a local (UK) competitor for the products we are supplying.
Colin.

The two posts above sum up where I think you will need to start engaging to a far greater extent. You say, and I'm sure you are being accurate, that your costs per unit are far below that of the retail price per unit. Daftas, albeit not tactfully, raises two concerns. Firstly that in his view the cost per unit is far too high for the UK market. Secondly that there are already people operating in the UK market.

Rather than address his concerns you dismiss them. That really is not an approach that is going to work. It's your idea, if you want to sell it you really must start to engage. On a football message board it probably doesn't matter if you regard your critics as your enemy. In a business venture of any description it is a schoolboy error. By all means dismiss my post. But unless you start taking some ownership your idea will not make it past first base.

jonescmj1 wrote:

Behave, a quick search on google and I found dozens and guess what they where far cheaper and far more professional websites than your myshopify ones, serious competition that would blow you out of the water

daftasfxxx wrote:
jonescmj1 wrote:

Behave, a quick search on google and I found dozens and guess what they where far cheaper and far more professional websites than your myshopify ones, serious competition that would blow you out of the water
Which ones? Please tell me.

daftasfxxx wrote:
jonescmj1 wrote:

The whole point is I'm trying to utilise the clubs owns supporters to provide the professionalism to produce a better website, with increased marketing, etc. But I can t do it on my own.

jonescmj1 wrote: The whole point is I'm trying to utilise the clubs owns supporters to provide the professionalism to produce a better website, with increased marketing, etc. But I can t do it on my own.

I'm lost. The club don't have a website for cosmetic products etc, i therefore presume the website you which needs to be better is your own? You are making a fortune but to engage an expert to give you a top notch website is beyond you?

Seriously you really need to take a step back or at the very least think before you post. You are beginning to come across as someone convinced by Amway, or some other 'Do you seriously want to be rich' scheme'.