Re: Criticism

MF has said in the press that the Carabao Cup games are ' free hits' so who honestly thought we would have beaten Swansea and Watford so easily ? In our hearts we wanted it but in the head we were probably expecting narrow defeats and earn very little out of the competition because we have no crowds , tv money etc...The Cheltenham game was a very winnable game and £10,000 in the bank..Win all three group games and that would have been £50,000 in the bank which the club really need.
Maybe we should have put a stronger side out is all I am saying to try and win that game ??

Unfortunately as much as I would like us to be one of the selected TV games you have to put your Sky hat on think like them.
How many people around the UK are interested in Newport County? (not many).
How many people around the UK are interested in Premiership sides such as Man U, Man City, Spurs, Liverpool etc (answer 10s of thousands).
That’s why they pick them for their televised games so that they can maximise their coverage.

I do hope we get TV coverage for the revenue if nothing else.

Yes, we are not out of this season's Trophy yet.

People are writing as if it has to be one or the other, the Trophy or the League Cup. There is no reason why we cannot make a strong effort in both of them. They are not mutually exclusive. There is a long break in the Cup after Tuesday anyway. The FA Cup will cap both of them since the prize money is very good.

That is where my criticism is...
maybe we should have played a stronger side and won the game ( as I believe with a near full strength side we probably should have expected to do so ) or as we are now , hoping we get onto Sky to make some money out of the competition most of us would never expect us to reach this stage.
Yes its fantastic we have beaten Swansea and Watford but how much have we made out of it ?
Losing to Cheltenham cost us £10,000 or almost a third of a weeks wages for the club in these days when money is horrendously hard to come by for lower league clubs

Nice to see we as a club are in a position to throw away £10k by playing an under strength side in a game we should , IMO be looking to win

The Cheltenham game was one we could and should have won IMO , thus banking £10K
This cup run we are on is fantastic and everyone is enjoying it but how much are we making from it ?
Some are hoping its a TV game so we do make some money otherwise we are probably losing money because we cant have crowds at RP
If we hadnt have been lucky and had 4 home ties in it how much would it have cost the club to travel to Swansea , Cambridge , Watford and Newcastle with very little , if any prize money ?
We have been lucky with the draws , the Cheltenham game was in our own hands to win ( no luck) but we chose to field an under strength side and lost 1-0 and missed out on £10k.
Thats the point of the debate

Willthiswork wrote:Cheltenham chose and under strength team too. It was a decent game, any team could have won it really.

More reason to play a stronger team and win the £10k then
It was a decent game but with a stronger side we could/should have won , thus collecting £10k instead of ZERO

We could go on about this for ever but my point is we should have taken the £10k prize on offer in a game I believe a stronger side should/could have won. I know there is no guarantee we would have won but IMO you should give yourself the best chance whist there is a good amount of prize money we need.
The cup run we are on is great but unless we get on TV there is no money in it for us unless we beat Newcastle and get to the Q Finals...I still dont believe we will get chosen for TV even if we are the lowest side left in the competition if Orient lose or get kicked out.
Lincoln/Liverpool v Arsenal
Everton v West Ham
Brighton v Man Utd
Orient/Tottenham v Chelsea
These will be the ties they chose the TV games from IMO, although until the Orient situation is resolved that tie may be in doubt, although I believe Orient will be excluded because Tottenham will complain of a fixture pile up, even this early in the season

This is my last post on the subject

I would agree with you as far as County should be putting out a side capable of winning every single game. But it is a more compact season this time round with games coming thick and fast (especially if you win your cup games) and I'm guessing Flynn looks at the competitions in much the same way as most fans - League, FA Cup, League Cup and finally the whatsitcalledthisyear trophy.

As the Cheltenham game came after the League Cup win v Swansea this year and as you have raised your criticism over two weeks after the game, and not before, it would look a little like moaning for the sake of it, possibly because there is little so far this season that you can moan about.

Professional footballers playing for the pride and for the glory of Newport.

While the fans only want them playing for the money.

I hope we beat Newcastle for free. What footballer, around our level, wouldn't want to be a part of this every season. Or supporter.

If we could build our infrastructure as well as our profile, we'd be in the championship.