Re: Macclesfield relegated

Some news to get wound-up about.
Macclesfield Town Football Club has been wound up in the High Court over debts totalling more than £500,000.

Judge Sebastian Prentis made a winding-up order during a hearing in the Insolvency and Companies Court after being told £190,000 was owed in tax.

In addition, a solicitor for former manager John Askey was told he was owed £173,000 and a financial lender was also owed the same sum.

The club's owner Amar Alkadhi had asked for a further eight-week adjournment.

What a shambles. Their owner Amar Alkadhi must have been the only person in the country who welcomed the pandemic. HMRC stopped processing winding up petitions and he gained five months breathing space. This hearing followed eleven adjournments. Strangely, a week ago he was asking for 28 days extra, but was granted seven. However, today he asked for a further eight weeks, so the 28 days was just another delaying tactic. Someone on their forum actually wondered if they would still get the parachute payment!! Hmmm.... there is no club to receive it. They have always praised ex manager John Askey, but it seems he was a major creditor, although it was Sol Campbell who actually petitioned for the winding up at one stage, and HMRC took on that role this time around. I suppose the parachute payment is just a saving for the EFL, perhaps it goes into the pot to share out and League Two Clubs may each get a bit extra.

It's an interesting point. The liquidator is likely to attempt to collect the parachute payment if he can on behalf of creditors. Much will depend on the wording of the EFL regulation governing these payments. If it has been drafted by a good lawyer it will preclude payment to clubs who do not compete in a recognised league the following season.

I am struck by how little money is involved. I guess counting for inflation it is rather less than we owed in 1989.

No surprise there. When they were wound up in the High Court, I believe they still had seven days to pay off the debt and have the judgment rescinded. On their forum, the question was asked 'is that seven days or seven working days?' - desperate times. Someone was even thinking that if the National League failed to start, Macclesfield might remain in the EFL, because of a statement, made before their High Court appearance, that a team would only be relegated if there was a league for them to play in. Made no difference. Even the one person apparently interested in taking over was talking about the benefits of a 'Phoenix club'. The National League was never going to offer them a place. I remember when we were promoted to the Conference Premier, Wrexham were in financial trouble and were required to stump up a £250k bond in case they didn't complete the season. Who knows, Macclesfield could be playing against one of the Bury teams in 21/22.