Re: EFL Petition

Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
JonD wrote:Given our weather is it feasible to factor in our uncovered areas when assessing how many we can safely accommodate? I think that could lead to problems as spectators seek to shelter from the rain.

Hazell Stand has 1,996 seats .... Bisley has 2526 seats and also the Hazell Terrace has a large, undercover, capacity for standing too so we wouldn't have to worry about using the uncovered north and south terraces
But that doesn't take into account that people drink before and after the game. That they use the toilets, have to pass through the same turnstiles etc. So you have the increased risk, not just to those who attend but to those with who those who attend will mix.

And for what?

Financially the cost of the precautions needed in excess of the normal match day costs for a crowd of a few hundred?

How do people currently cope using toilets in shops, restaurants, pubs, office blocks etc etc?
They wouldn't have to use a turnstile, the gate could be opened and tickets scanned there.
Pubs are already open and people are drinking there anyway. With local lockdown it would only be people residing in Newport that would be able to attend too, gutted as I wouldn't be able to go anyway.

Edit: And of course, if the cost of the precautions outweighed the benefit, then the clubs wouldn't have to open to fans anyway.
Big differences between a football crowd numbers and a few needing the loos in the other examples you state.
Regarding being out of the area I applaud you but the majority would ignore that and turn up regardless.
Its not going to happen anyway possibly all season.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
JonD wrote:Given our weather is it feasible to factor in our uncovered areas when assessing how many we can safely accommodate? I think that could lead to problems as spectators seek to shelter from the rain.

Hazell Stand has 1,996 seats .... Bisley has 2526 seats and also the Hazell Terrace has a large, undercover, capacity for standing too so we wouldn't have to worry about using the uncovered north and south terraces
But that doesn't take into account that people drink before and after the game. That they use the toilets, have to pass through the same turnstiles etc. So you have the increased risk, not just to those who attend but to those with who those who attend will mix.

And for what?

Financially the cost of the precautions needed in excess of the normal match day costs for a crowd of a few hundred?

How do people currently cope using toilets in shops, restaurants, pubs, office blocks etc etc?
They wouldn't have to use a turnstile, the gate could be opened and tickets scanned there.
Pubs are already open and people are drinking there anyway. With local lockdown it would only be people residing in Newport that would be able to attend too, gutted as I wouldn't be able to go anyway.

Edit: And of course, if the cost of the precautions outweighed the benefit, then the clubs wouldn't have to open to fans anyway.
Big differences between a football crowd numbers and a few needing the loos in the other examples you state.
Regarding being out of the area I applaud you but the majority would ignore that and turn up regardless.

Tickets wouldn't be on general sale.....not everyone needs to go to the toilet in 2 hours... Over 500 people work in the office block near my office, there is one 'stall' and two urinals...
Besides, this has been trialled in Brighton and it was, by all accounts, a success.
We know the virus is much more transmittable in doors than outdoors so with hand sanitizers and compulsory face masks, social distancing, there's no reason why this cannot be done safely.

Exile 1976 wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:

And for what?

Tickets wouldn't be on general sale.....not everyone needs to go to the toilet in 2 hours... Over 500 people work in the office block near my office, there is one 'stall' and two urinals...
Besides, this has been trialled in Brighton and it was, by all accounts, a success.
We know the virus is much more transmittable in doors than outdoors so with hand sanitizers and compulsory face masks, social distancing, there's no reason why this cannot be done safely.
In theory idiots will ignore the hand sanitisers, most of us older boys need the loo during the game, morons will slip there masks off.
Who sorts them out?

Just wont happen.

Popped in my newsagents puts my mask on and fella walks in behind me no mask with his 2 kids.
What do I or the shopkeeper do.
Kick off?

Will be the same down RP and this idea of taking season tickets off or even banning fans wont work.
Seriously I reckon at least 25% would ignore sanitisers to start with.

Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:

And for what?

In theory idiots will ignore the hand sanitisers, most of us older boys need the loo during the game, morons will slip there masks off.
Who sorts them out?

Just wont happen.

Popped in my newsagents puts my mask on and fella walks in behind me no mask with his 2 kids.
Kick off?

Will be the same down RP and this idea of taking season tickets off or even banning fans wont work.
Perhaps he's exempt medically and his youngsters don't have to wear

Don't judge

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Frank Nouble 3 wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:

And for what?

Who sorts them out?

Just wont happen.

Kick off?

Perhaps he's exempt medically and his youngsters don't have to wear

Don't judge
Dream on. :

It will be very, very interesting to see how things pan out in Northern Ireland in the next few days re COVID. I sincerely hope there is no increase in the numbers. News today that apparently for the NI v Austria game 600 fans have been allowed in. Surely they cannot have allowed this without all stringent protocols in place?

I'm not sure about the wisdom of any of this, but I can't see the government relaxing the rules because of a petition. More likely they will debate it (because they have to) and reject it while infection rates are high. The idea could then be resurrected a couple of months down the line as a generous gesture :wink: Maybe allowing just the number calculated for each stadium for the test event over a trial period. This gives an option of withdrawal at a few days notice if infection rates increase
Last edited by excessbee on October 12th, 2020, 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

excessbee wrote:I'm not sure about the wisdom of any of this, but I can't see the government relaxing the rules because of a petition. More likely they will debate it (because they have to) and reject it while infection rates are high. The idea could then be resurrected a couple of months down the line as a generous gesture :wink: Maybe allowing just the number calculated each stadium for the test event over a trial period. This gives an option of withdrawal at a few days notice if infection rates increase
Fools never learn.

Most of us learn by bitter experience.

The wise learn by observation.

All I can tell you is that GAA matches in Ireland with limited spectators involvement saw a marked increase in infection.

wattsville_boy wrote:I agree with Stan. I work on the front line (I am a Nurse in ICU Cardiff) and I am telling you that you need to take Covid seriously. We are still learning the lessons from the first wave and the treatment options remain few. We were hoping that the second wave could be delayed until a suitable vaccine could be found and manufactured in sufficient numbers. That hasn't happened. The number of deaths in this second wave are likely to be significantly higher than the first wave. If you have any health concerns and you are above 40 and get the virus then you may not survive it. I have seen people in their 40's die. I have seen colleagues die. As much as I like a pint or a game of football there is no way that I would consider either while the rates of infection remain as high as now (and not reducing significantly). Change your attitude to Covid and start taking it seriously because the consequences on your life and your family could be severe.
Be grateful you live in Wales. The Government in Cardiff Bay listened to people like yourself who know what they're talking about. An awful lot of people are about to die. There is nothing that will stop that. If you put in severe restrictions not as many people will die. However if you believe that easing restrictions is a good idea you will up the death rate.

We are all suffering from these restrictions. That I don't doubt. But the petition to allow crowds to congregate for sporting events was complete madness, thank God it got no further than a petition.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
wattsville_boy wrote:I agree with Stan. I work on the front line (I am a Nurse in ICU Cardiff) and I am telling you that you need to take Covid seriously. We are still learning the lessons from the first wave and the treatment options remain few. We were hoping that the second wave could be delayed until a suitable vaccine could be found and manufactured in sufficient numbers. That hasn't happened. The number of deaths in this second wave are likely to be significantly higher than the first wave. If you have any health concerns and you are above 40 and get the virus then you may not survive it. I have seen people in their 40's die. I have seen colleagues die. As much as I like a pint or a game of football there is no way that I would consider either while the rates of infection remain as high as now (and not reducing significantly). Change your attitude to Covid and start taking it seriously because the consequences on your life and your family could be severe.
Be grateful you live in Wales. The Government in Cardiff Bay listened to people like yourself who know what they're talking about. An awful lot of people are about to die. There is nothing that will stop that. If you put in severe restrictions not as many people will die. However if you believe that easing restrictions is a good idea you will up the death rate.

We are all suffering from these restrictions. That I don't doubt. But the petition to allow crowds to congregate for sporting events was complete madness, thank God it got no further than a petition.
When mass unemployment hits Wales do you think people will be so grateful then?

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

If you don't lock down now, more people will die. You will be forced to lock down for longer and in my view unemployment will be higher. I don't diminish the pain of mass unemployment. I remember being unemployed in the early 1980's. It was awful. Probably the worst experience I have ever had, with only one exception. Seeing a loved one die before her time.

To answer your question. I hope so.

I received a email on Thursday telling me that allowing crowds back at sports fixtures would be debated on November 9 in Parliament.I haven’t mentioned it because with the threat of lockdowns likely,it seemed unlikely that the petition would win and with todays developments,in Wales with other regions likely to do the same,it should now be postponed as the debate could only have one outcome.

Percy plunkett wrote:I received a email on Thursday telling me that allowing crowds back at sports fixtures would be debated on November 9 in Parliament.I haven’t mentioned it because with the threat of lockdowns likely,it seemed unlikely that the petition would win and with todays developments,in Wales with other regions likely to do the same,it should now be postponed as the debate could only have one outcome.
The debate has been called for and why not let the arguments be put? I don't want your views to be utterly destroyed because I have any anamos towards you and I certainly don't want to win this argument just to win an argument.

If I right and I believe I am, many thousands of people in the UK are about to die needlessly because of a populist view that going for a drink or going to a football match or a concert or whatever is somehow either more important or an economic necessity than saving their lives.

I appreciate that this causes pain but a short term sacrifice can be recovered from, being dead is final. Unfortunately without debate too many people will be taken in by such dangerous fools as the Barrington Group. Be under no illusion Percy, the views you hold will, if put into practice, kill people. I make no apology for wanting crush and utterly obliterate those views.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

If you don't lock down now, more people will die. You will be forced to lock down for longer and in my view unemployment will be higher. I don't diminish the pain of mass unemployment. I remember being unemployed in the early 1980's. It was awful. Probably the worst experience I have ever had, with only one exception. Seeing a loved one die before her time.

To answer your question. I hope so.
As long as it's other people's loved ones dying half the country won't care.