Re: 'Project Big Picture'

It is good to see that work appears to have been going on behind the scenes for some time regardless of the COVID pandemic. This has just brought the issue to the fore.

However, this report is not the whole picture. My understanding is that the Premier League will get a one off payment of one hundred million for giving two hundred and fifty million to the efl. I don’t quite understand the economics behind that but this appears to be taxpayers money greasing the palms of the Premier League.

Furthermore, how will the 250 million be divided? I think that we can pretty much guarantee that the Championship clubs will want a bigger share as they will say their overheads are larger. In the past few years apparently they have spent 107% of their income on wages. Economic madness.

How much will L2 clubs actually get? If it is 250 million equally divided between 69?? (can’t remember off the top of my head how many teams in the Championship), clubs then we should get 3.6 million. Is that a one off or spread over several years. More info’ to follow hopefully.

72 teams below the Premier league. An equal split won't be happening. I'd really like to see all parachute payments scrapped, why should relegated teams be given a helping hand to get back to the level at which they have just failed. It was galling to see the chairman of Huddersfield on TV the other day pleading the case for a government bail out to the EFL. They obviously didn't budget well with the hand out they received. Ideally, if there is to be money filtering down I'd like to see leagues one and two clubs receive an equal amount, to try and stop the gap getting wider.

excessbee wrote:72 teams below the Premier league. An equal split won't be happening. I'd really like to see all parachute payments scrapped, why should relegated teams be given a helping hand to get back to the level at which they have just failed. It was galling to see the chairman of Huddersfield on TV the other day pleading the case for a government bail out to the EFL. They obviously didn't budget well with the hand out they received. Ideally, if there is to be money filtering down I'd like to see leagues one and two clubs receive an equal amount, to try and stop the gap getting wider.
The parachute payments are being scrapped, it is in the news report.

excessbee wrote:Of course, to reduce the PL to 18 clubs whilst maintaining 24x3 in the other three tiers would probably mean four down two up in league two for one season. I suppose two down and no promotion front the NL is an option but that might result in legal action.
Maybe 4 x 20 divisions. Existing 72 plus 2 down from PL and 6 up from NL. Maybe then Championship, L1 and L2 South and North?

Some good things and some not so good, it looks like the efl clubs are all for it and why would'nt they be a share of £250m would save most clubs arses, but the pl clubs are not going to be so obliging they would need at least 14 votes for this to happen and i don't think the turkeys are going to vote for christmas, one part that did make me laugh was the £100m gift to the fa lets just call that what it actually is.........a bribe.

faerun exile wrote:
excessbee wrote:Of course, to reduce the PL to 18 clubs whilst maintaining 24x3 in the other three tiers would probably mean four down two up in league two for one season. I suppose two down and no promotion front the NL is an option but that might result in legal action.
Maybe 4 x 20 divisions. Existing 72 plus 2 down from PL and 6 up from NL. Maybe then Championship, L1 and L2 South and North?
Not sure the EFL would want to steer in that direction. The Championship clubs would not agree to relegating an extra four from their relatively well funded group and overall increasing 74 to 80 would spread money even more thinly, whilst reducing the number of home matches by four. Good news for the extra six moving from the National League, but it would reduce the quality of League Two considerably.

excessbee wrote:72 teams below the Premier league. An equal split won't be happening. I'd really like to see all parachute payments scrapped, why should relegated teams be given a helping hand to get back to the level at which they have just failed. It was galling to see the chairman of Huddersfield on TV the other day pleading the case for a government bail out to the EFL. They obviously didn't budget well with the hand out they received. Ideally, if there is to be money filtering down I'd like to see leagues one and two clubs receive an equal amount, to try and stop the gap getting wider.
I have a little bit of sympathy for Huddersfield and the like. They sign players to try and compete so have to pay premier league wages, the clubs sign them for longer contracts than they would like to in order to protect their value then when they get relegated they are stuck with players on high wages unless they can offload them. Whilst there had to be some balance struck years ago I think Jean-Marc Bosman has a lot to answer for as it has created so much power for players, meaning longer contracts and higher wages.

I saw the Man City chief exec being interview on SkySports the other day and he said something along the lines of : "it's no sustainable to have so many clubs in the lower leagues. We need to expand the U23 league for the Premiership teams".
The billionaire owners are totally out of touch with the history of the game in this country - it's pure greed and making is the only thing that they're interested in.

I've quoted it on here before, but this passage (from a book written in 1997 by a chap called Ed Horton) never fails to strike me as remarkably prescient. It is as apposite to this current debate about Rick Parry's "big picture" nonsense as it was 23 years ago.
You cannot speak of the interests of football as a whole and then have a separate Premiership. The whole reason the Premiership is separate is so that it can take decisions without reference to the rest of football. It was the Premiership that decided to break away, which decided that the rest of football was its enemy, which decided it could only prosper over the prostrate body of the rest of football. It follows that the rest of football, including the supporters, could only prosper over the dead body of the Premiership...

The structure of the Football League is regularly called into question. All sorts of ill-judged proposals are made for feeder teams, regional divisions and part-time football, all of which are nothing more than quick fixes whose effect would be to make worse the problems they are designed to solve. The real problem is never addressed, since the real problem is the huge increase in inequalities of income. The real cause is the Premiership.

Yet there is no reason, no sporting reason, for the Premiership to exist. There is no reason for anything other than a top division, of a pyramidal structure, linking the lowest with the highest clubs.
Premiership gurus also claim that they need greater control of the lower leagues (or the introduction of B Teams) because more needs to be done to help them develop their players. The perfect riposte to that can be found in this excellent piece by Iain Macintosh perfectly summaries the real motive at play:
It is greed. You have proved too feckless and incompetent to manage your resources. You have scooped up so many youngsters that you don’t know what to do with them. You stockpile them and they stagnate and you don’t know what to do. And so once again you seek to squeeze the life out of us for a marginal gain on your balance sheet.

You ignore the fact that the answer to your problem is staring you in the face. If you want your players to develop as footballers, play them in football matches or don’t buy them until they have done so. The brightest talents in the England squad played first team football either at a lower level, like Dele Alli and John Stones, or at teams where youth development was taken seriously, like Harry Kane and Ross Barkley. This isn’t difficult. You’ve only got two feet. Stop buying so many shoes.
We are so lucky to live in a country where you can watch a fourth, fifth or even sixth-tier game with crowds measured in the thousands. Those clubs and their fans are part of a community and have proud and interesting histories. Fans of those teams will not slavishly go and watch their nearest Premiership club because of the whims of some marketing pipsqueak, but they need to be vocal in saying so.

Marky wrote:
DT1892 wrote:Power grab by the big clubs in the PL yet again. Wish they'd **** off to create the European Super League they so desperately want to play in.
They'd still want their reserves teams in the Football League.
Exactly. And I'd much rather we end up playing in a league with Caernarfon Town & Haverfordwest than Man United B & Liverpool U23s.