Re: 'Project Big Picture'

The latest news seems to suggest that representatives of Football League clubs are showing strong support for the proposals, despite a pretty clear consensus that fans are against. From the article:
Jez Moxey, chief executive of League One side Burton Albion and a member of the EFL board, said: "I'd say in League One, [support is] unanimous."

Nigel Travis, chairman of League Two's Leyton Orient, said: "I'd say in League Two it was probably 23 out of 24 clubs [in favour]. One club raised a number of interesting issues."
I would like to think that Newport County AFC, as a fan-owned club, would be standing up for supporters on this and be voicing opposition. I'd also like to think that on something as momentous as this, our Trust would be seeking the views of Trust members and relaying them to the Board so that they can be acted upon. I would like to think that.

Any Trust Board / Club Board members on here care to comment?

Kairdiff Exile wrote:The latest news seems to suggest that representatives of Football League clubs are showing strong support for the proposals, despite a pretty clear consensus that fans are against. From the article:
Jez Moxey, chief executive of League One side Burton Albion and a member of the EFL board, said: "I'd say in League One, [support is] unanimous."

Nigel Travis, chairman of League Two's Leyton Orient, said: "I'd say in League Two it was probably 23 out of 24 clubs [in favour]. One club raised a number of interesting issues."
I would like to think that Newport County AFC, as a fan-owned club, would be standing up for supporters on this and be voicing opposition. I'd also like to think that on something as momentous as this, our Trust would be seeking the views of Trust members and relaying them to the Board so that they can be acted upon. I would like to think that.

Any Trust Board / Club Board members on here care to comment?
Perhaps as pertinent.

Why did the board of a fans owned club not consult with the fans before attending the meeting?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Perhaps as pertinent.

Why did the board of a fans owned club not consult with the fans before attending the meeting?
May be OUR elected officials have done what their job is. Not everything needs a consultation before. We trust them to run the club for us when we vote them on the Board.

I agree with WillThisWork - it is a representative rather than a direct democracy. We elect the Trust Board to represent us as best they can rather than to defer to us on every single decision. On this issue, where there is a very strong and very clear consensus of what lower league fans think about, it should be obvious to them what their mandate dictates they should do. But we've not had any communication confirming they will do so - which is odd when most supporters' trusts have issued a statement condemning the proposals.

I hope this is just a reflection of the fact that they're busy running the club but are acting in accordance with supporters' wishes rather than that they're taking a different course of action.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:I agree with WillThisWork - it is a representative rather than a direct democracy. We elect the Trust Board to represent us as best they can rather than to defer to us on every single decision. On this issue, where there is a very strong and very clear consensus of what lower league fans think about, it should be obvious to them what their mandate dictates they should do. But we've not had any communication confirming they will do so - which is odd when most supporters' trusts have issued a statement condemning the proposals.

I hope this is just a reflection of the fact that they're busy running the club but are acting in accordance with supporters' wishes rather than that they're taking a different course of action.
I'm don't see your logic. Either you believe that the club should take into account the views of supporters or they should not.

You seem to be arguing that the board should represent the views of supporters but not consult. I don't know what the views of supporters are and to think everyone agrees with my view that this plan stinks would be the height of arrogance on my part.

Also you misunderstand the democratic view. Representatives have to consult and listen to their constituency. Having done so as representatives they are entitled to disagree with their constituency because the are appraised of further facts. If this were not so they would be delegated.

However it is entirely undemocratic to act without this consultation. I'm sorry to say this but both yourself and Willthiswork, quite simply dont what you are talking about.

In terms Gavin et al are perfectly entitled to say to supporters I have listened to what you say. However notwithstanding your views I have decided that it is in the best interests of Newport County to act in a way at odds with what you want. And in a democracy you can vote me out come the next election.

What they can't say is, I am not going to listen to what you have to say.

Also and directly to Willthiswork. I agree that the board can't consult on every decision. But on the big ones, which fundamentally affect the future of our club I believe they have to.

The best pointer I can give you is to simply look at the social media reaction. Granted, Twitter isn't the be-all and end-all, but it's a useful barometer and there's no doubt that there is huge concern. There have also been statements condemning the proposals from lots of supporters organisations, most notably the FSA. It's also interesting that the supporters' trusts of the "Big Six" clubs have spoken out against the plans, even though their own clubs would be the principal beneficiaries.

Willthiswork wrote:What I have seen is that the Premier clubs, outside of the big six (and even those other 4 - not Man Utd/Liverpool) are a little sceptical about it. The EFL clubs are generally for it as they know it will save them short-medium term.
On the topic itself and simply my view.

Football is more than a commercial enterprise. It is something which helps bind communities together. We need to look at the best way to build and evolve clubs to be part of the community. Rather than chase success paying more and more money to agents and players perhaps a better approach would be to accept that football should begin and end with having fun.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Willthiswork wrote:What I have seen is that the Premier clubs, outside of the big six (and even those other 4 - not Man Utd/Liverpool) are a little sceptical about it. The EFL clubs are generally for it as they know it will save them short-medium term.
On the topic itself and simply my view.

Football is more than a commercial enterprise. It is something which helps bind communities together. We need to look at the best way to build and evolve clubs to be part of the community. Rather than chase success paying more and more money to agents and players perhaps a better approach would be to accept that football should begin and end with having fun.
We agree! :shock:

Plan has been scrapped - rejected by PL clubs at meeting today. Not surprising really. £50m rescue package from PL agreed for L1 and L2 which is welcomed.
Not sure how cash will be dished out. £1.4m for each club in L1 and £0.7m for each club in L2 perhaps? Would go a good way towards covering our match day losses for 20/21 I reckon.