Re: Gavin on Call Rob Phillips = Taking the knee

George Street-Bridge wrote:Very much an ambush but Gavin handled it very well. Phillips was scrupulous in not offering an opinion and merely lighting the blue touch paper. I'm not sure Blake is well placed to preach about setting examples.

As far as the absence of banners is concerned, are all the volunteers who help set up the ground even able to travel into Newport?
Brilliant! Nathan ‘fruit machine’ Blake! Seriously, it’s run it’s course & is now meaningless. Just an extension of the pre-match routine of elbow/fist bumping now.

Dogger wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:Very much an ambush but Gavin handled it very well. Phillips was scrupulous in not offering an opinion and merely lighting the blue touch paper. I'm not sure Blake is well placed to preach about setting examples.

As far as the absence of banners is concerned, are all the volunteers who help set up the ground even able to travel into Newport?
Brilliant! Nathan ‘fruit machine’ Blake! Seriously, it’s run it’s course & is now meaningless. Just an extension of the pre-match routine of elbow/fist bumping now.
Fruit Machine?

Personally, I’m very relaxed about the club supporting political gestures (whether it’s taking the knee for BLM or wearing a red poppy for Remembrance Day) even if I don’t always agree with the cause. That seems much more consistent than saying (as some seem to be on here) that the club can support the causes with which they agree but not those with which they disagree.

Perhaps it’s one of those irregular verbs:
- I support an important cause
- You support a campaign
- He supports a political gesture

I’ll always be pleased to see the club backing anti-racism movements. I feel a bit uneasy about the symbolism of taking a knee, but I was very interested by Nathan Blake’s position that it is likely to lead to conversations with children about why players are doing it and what the wider context is. That has to be a good thing.

Ladies and gentlemen.

At 3-00 next Saturday the game will be slightly delayed. There will be the ritual taking of the knee. Whether this will be of any interest to some rednecked racist thug with a gun and a police badge in Mississippi is open to conjecture. However this will then be followed by a short speech, by a speaker from Human Rights Watch who will inform us about the squalid treatment of the Rohingya in Myanmar. Following on from this we shall be hearing from a speaker from the Sioux Nation about the plight of all native Americans. We hope also to be hearing from a representative from Australia's indigenous peoples about the genocide inflicted on the Tasmanian Aborigines.

Once this is over we shall of course be observing a two minute silence for everyone who has ever died of anything ever. Because of time limitations it will be impossible to name them all individually but we did think a random sample of one thousand names would suffice.

Sorry to be blase'. But this hyrachy of death gets on my t!ts. I can contribute to charities, I can have a career in human rights, I will oppose blatant bigotry. But.........

Sometimes at three o'clock on a Saturday afternoon I just want to watch a football match.