12 games in

A few have mentioned that we would get a good idea of how we will do this season after 10 games. In fairness, it gets mentioned most years.

There is no way on earth I would have put us five points clear at the end of October after 10 games. Bloody superb. I had us down as just above the bottom two at the start of the season.

The way this season has gone so far, my opinion now is that if we are not challenging for automatic promotion at the end of the season, it will be really disappointing. I don’t make a prediction that we will win this league, but, you just never know.

Ever the realist, I just bloody well hope that we don’t have a similar repeat of 1939, season cancelled after doing well. This is the COVID season, it had better not interfere with our recent success, but, again, you just never know.

Another 15 points and we can forget about relegation :wink: this is the County after all :cheers:
Last edited by pembsexile on November 23rd, 2020, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: 10 games in

I was predicting a similar season mate, this team has been a revelation hasn’t it? Safe by Xmas would be absolutely wonderful - anything near the top a wonderful bonus. A few of the “ billy big boots “ teams supporters must be wishing they’d kept their mouths shut. Let’s keep our counsel and quietly accumulate the points.

lowandhard wrote:I was predicting a similar season mate, this team has been a revelation hasn’t it? Safe by Xmas would be absolutely wonderful - anything near the top a wonderful bonus. A few of the “ billy big boots “ teams supporters must be wishing they’d kept their mouths shut. Let’s keep our counsel and quietly accumulate the points.
I put it down to Dolan in defence its like a new signing and our loan signings have come up trumps

pembsexile wrote:A few have mentioned that we would get a good idea of how we will do this season after 10 games. In fairness, it gets mentioned most years.

There is no way on earth I would have put us five points clear at the end of October after 10 games. Bloody superb. I had us down as just above the bottom two at the start of the season.

The way this season has gone so far, my opinion now is that if we are not challenging for automatic promotion at the end of the season, it will be really disappointing. I don’t make a prediction that we will win this league, but, you just never know.

Ever the realist, I just bloody well hope that we don’t have a similar repeat of 1939, season cancelled after doing well. This is the COVID season, it had better not interfere with our recent success, but, again, you just never know.

Another 15 points and we can forget about relegation :wink: this is the County after all :cheers:
1938/39 - the only season we've finished top of a division in the football league. Where would we be now if the war hadn't broken out the next season?

UPTHEPORT wrote:
lowandhard wrote:I was predicting a similar season mate, this team has been a revelation hasn’t it? Safe by Xmas would be absolutely wonderful - anything near the top a wonderful bonus. A few of the “ billy big boots “ teams supporters must be wishing they’d kept their mouths shut. Let’s keep our counsel and quietly accumulate the points.
I put it down to Dolan in defence its like a new signing and our loan signings have come up trumps
Agree with that, he’s been a revelation. The only major worry is whether we get to keep the loans who have made a big difference to us.

The other positive is the style of football we're trying to play. It's what you see in the top 2 divisions most of the time and I can't help but think if a manager of a championship club has the option he would rather send a promising talent to a Newport County that knock the ball around rather than one which lumps it up the pitch.

Collars wrote:The other positive is the style of football we're trying to play. It's what you see in the top 2 divisions most of the time and I can't help but think if a manager of a championship club has the option he would rather send a promising talent to a Newport County that knock the ball around rather than one which lumps it up the pitch.
Hopefully there are not too many lumps in the pitch after the Dragons and Blues have trampled all over it.

Imclueless wrote:Although we may be affected if our current loanees return to their clubs we may be able to replace with as good if we are near to the top of the league and still playing well?

I was going to say that Twine would probably go back in January because some "big" clubs might be looking at him and Swindon might receive an offer they don't want to turn down. ... Now Richie Wellens is likely the new Salford manager it's even more likely that the new Swindon manager will want to cast his eye over Twine anyway.

NearlyDead wrote:
Imclueless wrote:Although we may be affected if our current loanees return to their clubs we may be able to replace with as good if we are near to the top of the league and still playing well?

I was going to say that Twine would probably go back in January because some "big" clubs might be looking at him and Swindon might receive an offer they don't want to turn down. ... Now Richie Wellens is likely the new Salford manager it's even more likely that the new Swindon manager will want to cast his eye over Twine anyway.
Flynn knows what he's like :shock:

12 games in now and still top of the league. Brilliant. Well done all.

Ever since I was a nipper I have had a fascination with league tables and County make for great reading at the moment. My only concern is consideration for the teams we have beaten. They are currently in 7th, 13th, 14th, 16th, 18th, 19th and 21st.

The two games we have lost were against teams that are currently 3rd and 4th. I will be much happier when we consistently beat teams that are closer to us. However, it is quite difficult to beat teams that are above us at the moment. Long may it continue. Cmon the County :cheers:

pembsexile wrote:12 games in now and still top of the league. Brilliant. Well done all.

Ever since I was a nipper I have had a fascination with league tables and County make for great reading at the moment. My only concern is consideration for the teams we have beaten. They are currently in 7th, 13th, 14th, 16th, 18th, 19th and 21st.

The two games we have lost were against teams that are currently 3rd and 4th. I will be much happier when we consistently beat teams that are closer to us. However, it is quite difficult to beat teams that are above us at the moment. Long may it continue. Cmon the County :cheers:
Port Vale are now 9th but could have been 5th if they had won. If Port Vale had won last Saturday and Tuesday as well they would have been top.

Bangitintrnet wrote:
pembsexile wrote:12 games in now and still top of the league. Brilliant. Well done all.

Port Vale are now 9th but could have been 5th if they had won. If Port Vale had won last Saturday and Tuesday as well they would have been top.
If my aunty Betty had bollox etc :grin: