Re: Next Bristol Rovers Manager

faerun exile wrote:Tisdale 1/5 and Flynn out to 8/1. Makes sense them appointing someone out of work. Good job Flynn’s contract was extended to 2022.
Was about to ask about flynnys contract, so with 2 years left the compensation we would demand would be well out of reach of l1& l2 clubs and probably half the championship clubs in these strange times.

llanwern exile wrote:
faerun exile wrote:Tisdale 1/5 and Flynn out to 8/1. Makes sense them appointing someone out of work. Good job Flynn’s contract was extended to 2022.
Was about to ask about flynnys contract, so with 2 years left the compensation we would demand would be well out of reach of l1& l2 clubs and probably half the championship clubs in these strange times.
19 months left on Flynn’s contract. If his salary rumours on here are to be believed that’s £200k+ compo. A lot of dosh in current climate.

faerun exile wrote:
llanwern exile wrote:
19 months left on Flynn’s contract. If his salary rumours on here are to be believed that’s £200k+ compo. A lot of dosh in current climate.
IF Flynn wanted out IMO we would be lucky to get three months of his salary as compensation.

IF he wanted out and the BOD said no but he was adamant he wanted to go why would you keep a manager who wants away , would be unhappy about not being able to leave and wouldnt have his eye 100% on the ball ?

Contracts unfortunately mean very little in Football IF the person wants out of the club. Good to fall back on if sacked but not worth anything if the persons head is turned.. Unhappy manager means unhappy squad , unhappy club and usually end up in failure , so IF he wants out its best to let him go and get what you can in compo. The club is BIGGER than the MAN

neilcork68 wrote:
faerun exile wrote:
llanwern exile wrote:
IF Flynn wanted out IMO we would be lucky to get three months of his salary as compensation.

IF he wanted out and the BOD said no but he was adamant he wanted to go why would you keep a manager who wants away , would be unhappy about not being able to leave and wouldnt have his eye 100% on the ball ?

Contracts unfortunately mean very little in Football IF the person wants out of the club. Good to fall back on if sacked but not worth anything if the persons head is turned.. Unhappy manager means unhappy squad , unhappy club and usually end up in failure , so IF he wants out its best to let him go and get what you can in compo. The club is BIGGER than the MAN
In terms of compo it would be down to what's written in Flynn's contract release clause and whether the club play hard ball or not. Don't see why County should be any different to any other club such as Barrow or Wrexham for example, off the top of my head, who have received compensation payments for their managers being poached.

Whether Flynn makes it known he is interested in the Gas job will be a difficult decision for him I reckon.
On the one hand there aren't many other football league clubs in South Wales / South West that Flynn can commute to, which would according to rumours seem to be a consideration for him and his family. Rovers is a bigger club playing in a higher division with realistic ambitions of reaching the Championship. Salary increase too no doubt.
On the flip side he is a firm fans favourite at County and currently sits top of EFL2, no mean achievement. Reported to be on a tidy salary and developing a new football philosophy this season, which is far more attractive to any potential suitors further up the pyramid. However, that said I get the feeling that Flynn is still considered to be a manager who favours a physical and hoofball style. Sitting put this season and getting promotion with County would I feel help rid him of that reputation and open up more opportunities to him from bigger clubs than Rovers. But money and ambition talk and Flynn is no different to the rest of us.
At the end of the day, should Flynn move on our BODs will have to negotiate a compensation settlement for Flynn's services with Rovers or whoever. I would like to think that currently with 19 months left on Flynn's contract that equates to a decent wedge of cash. Something Rovers wouldn't need to expend on the likes of Tisdale.

I think Flynny would do well to swerve Brizzle Rovers at present. Yes, they're in a higher division but I doubt if they'd offer him much of a wage increase nor allow the freedom he's had to sign players from 'that agency'.

Compensation for County would inevitably include payment for MF, WH and any of the backroom staff he decides to take with him, plus higher than the going rate fees for Josh, Micky and any other players he lures over there.

All in all, a deal to take MF to BRFC would probably cost them around 1/2M so I guess they'll take their chances with Mark Cooper, Steve Cottrell or Paul Tisdale instead.

[quote="excessbee"]I think with the current uncertainty, they won't be looking for a world beater. The priority will be to maintain their League One status until football returns to normal. In fact, I don't see Rovers as being much above that level. I think they may have panicked a bit early.

Hey, Rovers fan here that has moved to Newport. Whilst I don't necessarily disagree with you that rovers are higher than league 1 at moment (lots of positives though I think) Ben Garner was a poor manager. Subs were like for like replacements, stuck with players on poor form, tried to sit back on narrow leads and didn't take responsibility for losses. Flynn would be my personal choice but can't see rovers going for him due to finances.

faerun exile wrote:Whether Flynn makes it known he is interested in the Gas job will be a difficult decision for him I reckon.
On the one hand there aren't many other football league clubs in South Wales / South West that Flynn can commute to, which would according to rumours seem to be a consideration for him and his family. Rovers is a bigger club playing in a higher division with realistic ambitions of reaching the Championship. Salary increase too no doubt.
On the flip side he is a firm fans favourite at County and currently sits top of EFL2, no mean achievement. Reported to be on a tidy salary and developing a new football philosophy this season, which is far more attractive to any potential suitors further up the pyramid. However, that said I get the feeling that Flynn is still considered to be a manager who favours a physical and hoofball style. Sitting put this season and getting promotion with County would I feel help rid him of that reputation and open up more opportunities to him from bigger clubs than Rovers. But money and ambition talk and Flynn is no different to the rest of us.
At the end of the day, should Flynn move on our BODs will have to negotiate a compensation settlement for Flynn's services with Rovers or whoever. I would like to think that currently with 19 months left on Flynn's contract that equates to a decent wedge of cash. Something Rovers wouldn't need to expend on the likes of Tisdale.
Lots of fair points. I felt Swindon would have been a bigger threat to us losing MF than Rovers though. I think Tisdale will end up at Rovers and hopefully take them down for some spicy away days!

Countymax wrote:
faerun exile wrote:Whether Flynn makes it known he is interested in the Gas job will be a difficult decision for him I reckon.
Lots of fair points. I felt Swindon would have been a bigger threat to us losing MF than Rovers though. I think Tisdale will end up at Rovers and hopefully take them down for some spicy away days!
Unless we move in the opposite direction :lol: