Re: BBC being too politically correct again?

JonD wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:Dammed if they do Dammed if they don't

Homosexuals will be offended but will say similar things themselves
If you're interested, UTP, here's quite a good piece that goes some way to explaining the contradictory response to use of "faggot".

https://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/lifestyle ... ot-meaning

Your point is actually addressed
But as with rappers who use the n-word, we need to be aware that those who want to harm us will see our empowerment as an excuse to feel free to use those words willy-nilly and claim that we’re attacking their freedom of speech when we challenge them.
Thanks Jon

They seem to have taken words my nanas used who where born in the 1890s Queer was " How Queer " with something strange happening

Gay was "what a gay day " they where having a lovely day

Faggot was what we had for tea!

All nice terms I now feel taken away

Percy plunkett wrote:Watching Tranmere v Brackley tonight,my partner said why is there a woman commentating,it doesn’t sound right,she should just do women’s football.She said the same about the cricket earlier in the year so, she can’t be accused of being sexist,yet the Beeb will still do it.
It is mainly seen in employment law but holds good throughout jurisrudence that a woman who discriminates against a woman of the grounds of gender is guilty of sexism. Just as is a black person who discriminates against a person who is black is guilty of racism.

Still it is terrible that the BBC allow women to read the news let alone comment on sport. I blame David Lloyd George for giving women the vote. Let's face it, women are pretty and are good with children and if they simply concentrated on being home makers I'm sure we would all be a lot happier.

Stan 'sarcastic' Einstein. :lol:

Percy plunkett wrote:Watching Tranmere v Brackley tonight,my partner said why is there a woman commentating,it doesn’t sound right,she should just do women’s football.She said the same about the cricket earlier in the year so, she can’t be accused of being sexist,yet the Beeb will still do it.
I think it does take some getting used to. I felt exactly the same when I first heard female commentators, but nowadays I judge them on their commentating merit not their gender. The ex-Arsenal player Alex Scott is streets ahead of most male pundits. She's done an incredible job of breaking down stereotypes.

Having said all that, if I see a hetero couple snogging it embarrasses me, but not as much as if it were a gay couple.

UPTHEPORT wrote:Thanks Jon

They seem to have taken words my nanas used who where born in the 1890s Queer was " How Queer " with something strange happening

Gay was "what a gay day " they where having a lovely day

Faggot was what we had for tea!

All nice terms I now feel taken away
I'm fairly sure each of those were used to insult the gay community before they ever adopted them.

Now they have gone illiterate! Either they or Number 10 don’t understand the English language. Taken from todays online article about whether the Coronation Day will be a bank holiday -

Quote: "Obviously this will be a historic event", the No 10 spokesperson said, adding: "All options remain on the table."

FFS! It’s AN historic event, not A historic event. Just like we say AN hotel, AN honour, and ANNE Diamond.

Good Evening

Sometimes I wonder if it’s me not keeping up with the speed of language useage changes. I often gently correct my elderly parents when they innocently use the word coloured instead of “ of colour”
And then I question myself for my reaction to cricketers being referred to as bowlers and batters. The growing presence of gender equality is changing the language and sometimes it’s difficult to keep up!

Phil in Northampton

phil_in_npton wrote: Good Evening

Sometimes I wonder if it’s me not keeping up with the speed of language useage changes. I often gently correct my elderly parents when they innocently use the word coloured instead of “ of colour”
And then I question myself for my reaction to cricketers being referred to as bowlers and batters. The growing presence of gender equality is changing the language and sometimes it’s difficult to keep up!

Phil in Northampton
Changing the term ‘coloured’ to ‘of colour’ is nonsense. It’s just rearranging the same sentence. As a cricket fan it’s always batsmen for me, especially as I’m not interested in watching the women’s version.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote: November 19th, 2020, 2:07 pm The Beeb have announced they will play an editted version of the Xmas classic 'Fairytale of New York' by The Pogues & Kirsty MacColl this year.

It seems they get inundated with complaints each year about one line which MacColl sang "you cheap lousy fa....".

The 'fa....' word is a nasty slur often aimed at homosexual men and I'm sure if the song was new and released for the first time today, it would be banned or censored. But this is a classic right?

Some years ago, The Pogues' front man Shane MacGowan defended her lyrics, saying they weren't intended as an insult but represented the character MacColl played during the song.

It's one of the better festive songs which we'll hear repeatedly over the next few weeks. I'd prefer the Beeb to leave the song alone, keep playing its original format and to climb down from the PC shelf which they're always on.

What do you think folks?
Disagree with this partly because I doubt most gay men are so fragile as to be offended by it.