Re: Flynn on the loan market (FCBusiness)

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:BBC Wiltshire reports Swindon assistant manager Tommy Wright saying there's a good chance they'll recall Twine.
"He has got to prove his worth but he's definitely got the technical ability. He's got a goal in him too"
Sounds to me that they are trying to tease a bid out of us now, aware that he becomes a free agent in a few months.
At his age he might be the sort of player a championship club would take a punt on, and loan back out to build experience.
If Swindon do recall him to play, as they have a few players in his position, would he just be crowbarred into the team?
Their main problem seems to be inexperience in defence. If Townsend's injury is not that serious, perhaps if we offered to loan them King it may be tempting enough to let Twine stay.

Two points.

Firstly the situation re Twine shows all that is detrimental to Newport County in the loan system. County pay to develop young talent. If the player is a success he can be, and very often is recalled by the parent/exploiter club. If this f@cks up the season for the inferior/submissive club, too bad.

Second point which is similar. If as a club we are to progress I personally would like to see far less of this boot licking behaviour. In truth I'd like to see none of it whatsoever. This building a good relationship with Cardiff, Swansea and Bristol City. Whilst these clubs are not our enemies neither are they our friends. What they are, or at least should be, are our rivals. That we seem content to live on the crumbs these clubs toss us is simply pathetic on our part.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:Two points.

Firstly the situation re Twine shows all that is detrimental to Newport County in the loan system. County pay to develop young talent. If the player is a success he can be, and very often is recalled by the parent/exploiter club. If this f@cks up the season for the inferior/submissive club, too bad.

Second point which is similar. If as a club we are to progress I personally would like to see far less of this boot licking behaviour. In truth I'd like to see none of it whatsoever. This building a good relationship with Cardiff, Swansea and Bristol City. Whilst these clubs are not our enemies neither are they our friends. What they are, or at least should be, are our rivals. That we seem content to live on the crumbs these clubs toss us is simply pathetic on our part.
Well if you read the article Flynny says the loan system is important to us
And to be honest I'd rather take his view on the system as he hasn't done a bad job so far

Stan A. Einstein wrote:Two points.

You make 2 valid points Stan, but I feel these overlook the bigger picture.

Yes, County are presumably paying a loan fee or part of his wages plus travel costs. Yes, giving him first-team action, a pivotal place in the team plus regular training is developing him.

But these loan deals also help us to:

1. Balance the books within squad budgets, so we get a player for half or a full season for less than his full wage.

2. It's less of a risk if we can send him back if he fails. We've seen enough failed 1 or 2 year deal new signings recently to know that, historically, our player recruitment prowess was aligned only to who Elite wanted to punt our way. Now MF has got Jason Windsor as F/T head of analysis the signings this year have generally been good.

3. If, as had proved with loanees from Swindon and Bristol City, the player does well with us then the chance of these clubs lending us another player at short notice if we hit an injury crisis is strong.

4 Unfortunately, the world of football is full of 'boot licking' with the big clubs able to snap up the best academy youngsters and promising talent from smaller clubs. The same would apply if, say, Barry Town or Cardiff Met in the Welsh league started to produce talented youngsters - we'd hoover them up, loan them some of our players in return, ensure boots are licked etc. It's not necessarily 'right' but it's football and the only way to compete. It's not "pathetic" but reality I'm afraid.

Best wishes.
Last edited by DeePeeNCAFC on December 29th, 2020, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:We have borrowed a player who it could be argued has so far been the difference between sitting top and maybe eighth or ninth, in a season which I fear has every chance of not going the distance. Happy with that.
We haven't borrowed a player, we have rented one. You may be happy with that, I'm not.
Provided the coaches and manager have the right skills and vision, there will always be another Twine out there to replace him with. I can't see many other ways for a team like ours to be competitive with the far wealthier sides in L2

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:We have borrowed a player who it could be argued has so far been the difference between sitting top and maybe eighth or ninth, in a season which I fear has every chance of not going the distance. Happy with that.
We haven't borrowed a player, we have rented one. You may be happy with that, I'm not.
Afternoon Brendan.

Nice to see ethics and morals come into it. You do have a point. The loan system is far from perfect. As I have said before, money talks and unfortunately it is the ‘big boys’ that set the rules for all with this system.

It is what it is and I just feel we would be foolish not to use the system for our benefit when all the other small clubs do. Standing back and not ‘playing the game’ would not help us at all.

If we could do a Celtic and win a trophy by utilising players all born within 25 miles of the club that would be superb. I would happily celebrate success using players who are mainly employed elsewhere but strut their stuff for Newport County. It’s far from perfect but we don’t live in a perfect world. MF seems to do a great job selling the club to them. In the recent article he stated that was one of the things he looks for in a loan player.

That said, I do feel we need some more decent loan signings in Jan. So does MF.

pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Afternoon Brendan.

Nice to see ethics and morals come into it. You do have a point. The loan system is far from perfect. As I have said before, money talks and unfortunately it is the ‘big boys’ that set the rules for all with this system.

It is what it is and I just feel we would be foolish not to use the system for our benefit when all the other small clubs do. Standing back and not ‘playing the game’ would not help us at all.

If we could do a Celtic and win a trophy by utilising players all born within 25 miles of the club that would be superb. I would happily celebrate success using players who are mainly employed elsewhere but strut their stuff for Newport County. It’s far from perfect but we don’t live in a perfect world. MF seems to do a great job selling the club to them. In the recent article he stated that was one of the things he looks for in a loan player.

Hi Mike,
Hope you had a good Christmas, in fact to both friend and foe I hope you all had a good Christmas.

It does not profit a man to sell his soul for the world, but for Wales?
St Thomas More.

It does not profit a club to lick the boots of Manchester United, but for Swindon Town?
St an Einstein. :grin:

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Afternoon Brendan.

Hi Mike,
Hope you had a good Christmas, in fact to both friend and foe I hope you all had a good Christmas.

It does not profit a man to sell his soul for the world, but for Wales?
St Thomas More.

It does not profit a club to lick the boots of Manchester United, but for Swindon Town?
St an Einstein. :grin:
Sir Thomas More probably licked his own boots when he had his head chopped off for not playing ball :-)

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Well if you read the article Flynny says the loan system is important to us
And to be honest I'd rather take his view on the system as he hasn't done a bad job so far
Firstly Jim I have read the article. Michael Flynn takes a view. It is a view with which I disagree. I say why I disagree. That opens up debate. I am not in the slightest interested whether you agree with Michael Flynn or not. I would be interested as to why you agree with him.