Re: Exiles Grandstand: Southend home MATCH OFF FROZEN PITCH

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
faerun exile wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:Was our game the only game called off due to a frozen pitch yesterday?
No there were others in L1, L2 and NL. Half a dozen maybe in total.
Of course are postponed because of inclement weather. But that is not really the issue. The issue is that some are of the view that the Rodney Parade pitch is substandard.

That is a view with which I agree.
It's what we got we unfortunately can't do much about it at the moment

Anyway name a better surface with as much use in top professional sports

You will struggle

Regardless of how much the pitch has been used the bottom line is that it is knackered. I'm no groundsman but I would anticipate that bare / grass free areas of the pitch, covered in sand will freeze quicker and cause more of a problem than soil covered / insulated by a lush covering of grass. Certainly in my time playing / coaching the problems were often in worn goalmouths. Don't know if that's the issue or not at RP - some reference has been made to the shade offered by the Hazell Stand being problematic? Maybe the waterlogged nature of the pitch when frozen is the problem even with frost covers, which by the way would appear not to be fit for purpose. With Newport RFC not playing I guess the RP pitch has actually been used less so far this season than normal.
We know that the pitch should have been re-laid last summer with a new hybrid system reported to have a 10 year life span. Again not sure if this can be laid in 72 or so hours like the one recently laid at the Liberty Stadium.
We are stuck with the crappier than normal RP pitch for this season and just have to get on with it unfortunately, to our detriment or otherwise.

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
faerun exile wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:Was our game the only game called off due to a frozen pitch yesterday?
Of course are postponed because of inclement weather. But that is not really the issue. The issue is that some are of the view that the Rodney Parade pitch is substandard.

You will struggle
The problem Jim is that we have not done anything about it for the last eight years.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
faerun exile wrote:

You will struggle
The problem Jim is that we have not done anything about it for the last eight years.
We have we have a hybrid pitch which the past few seasons has worked well it was due to be changed in summer but because of covid was postponed

It's something we just got to live with no point moaning

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
faerun exile wrote:

You will struggle
We have we have a hybrid pitch which the past few seasons has worked well it was due to be changed in summer but because of covid was postponed

To answer your first question about use, the answer is unequivocally there isn’t a ground to be named, as no one else is daft enough to permit it. Probably thinking of us is why the ELF have inserted a no to sharing with two rugby sides clause.

As for the pitch, I agree that it was rumoured that the plan was to relay it.
Now let be remind you that when this was last undertaken the Club was expected to contribute a third of the cost, which is being repaid at £50k a year. I suspect for this alleged 10 year life pitch we will also be expected to contribute a further third, maybe as much as half, even though the first debt has yet to be fully repaid. Yet all the while, and despite the County’s investment, the WRU will continue to rent out the facilities to all and sundry, totally disregarding any concerns we may have about over use of the pitch.

Is this something we should seriously be prepared to live with? We need either a stronger and more equitable sharing agreement with the Dragons, or failing that an urgent plan to move. After all we have only 18 months left of the present agreement.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
faerun exile wrote:

You will struggle

To answer your first question about use, the answer is unequivocally there isn’t a ground to be named, as no one else is daft enough to permit it. Probably thinking of us is why the ELF have inserted a no to sharing with two rugby sides clause.

So we was daft can you think of a better solution at the time we could have afforded
Last edited by UPTHEPORT on January 3rd, 2021, 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
faerun exile wrote:

You will struggle

As for the pitch, I agree that it was rumoured that the plan was to relay it.
Now let be remind you that when this was last undertaken the Club was expected to contribute a third of the cost, which is being repaid at £50k a year. I suspect for this alleged 10 year life pitch we will also be expected to contribute a further third, maybe as much as half, even though the first debt has yet to be fully repaid. Yet all the while, and despite the County’s investment, the WRU will continue to rent out the facilities to all and sundry, totally disregarding any concerns we may have about over use of the pitch.

It wasnt a rumour the pitch was due upgrading last summer

You like the use of rumour alleged can you show facts please

Sadly I think the state of the pitch is one thing, as much as anything else, that will eventually hasten the departure of Flynny.
He had shown a willingness this year to produce a genuinely good footballing team.
I don't think we will be able to play good football again this season on that surface and that is no fault of the groundsmen. We know MF will go on to higher things but his stock will be measured by either playing good football or getting us promoted.
I think promotion could have been a possibility this season but for here on in until the end of the season it's ball up in the air time again. Teams can set up to defend against that when it's played repeatedly and our home advantage will vanish.

Just googled it here's the answer

If the competing Clubs are not able to play the match at the ground of the Home Club on the
scheduled or agreed date, due to COVID-19 or for any other reason, the Clubs can agree to
(i) play the match at the ground of the Away Club on the original date or
(ii) postpone or reschedule the match (to be played at the ground of either the Home Club or
the Away Club) to another date in the Weekend Window or Weekday Window (as
appropriate) provided that in each case the consent of The Association has been obtained.
if the Clubs cannot agree on a date for the postponed or rescheduled match, the default date
is the last day in the Weekend Window or Weekday Window.

UPTHEPORT wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
UPTHEPORT wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:
faerun exile wrote:

You will struggle

You like the use of rumour alleged can you show facts please
No which is why I used those terms :roll:
As you are are clearly the font of all knowledge, it is for you please to enlighten me/us with the facts.

Apart from RP’s proximity to pubs, I really do struggle to see why such supporters as you have this unchallenging love in with this graveyard of a ground.
At a Trust meeting Kevin Ward said that since the WRU ownership our tenancy was no longer viable, what’s changed?