On This Day in 1979

It is 42 years to the day since we walloped West Ham in the FA Cup at Somerton Park, 2-1.
I was there and still remember it vividly.
If I am honest, even though West Ham were in the 2nd Tier then, I don't think we had a better result in our history until we smashed Leicester City in the same competition two years and two days ago. After many years of absolute mediocrity, the last few years have seemed like a dream.

Re: On This Day in 1979

Ian Pope wrote:It is 42 years to the day since we walloped West Ham in the FA Cup at Somerton Park, 2-1.
I was there and still remember it vividly.
If I am honest, even though West Ham were in the 2nd Tier then, I don't think we had a better result in our history until we smashed Leicester City in the same competition two years and two days ago. After many years of absolute mediocrity, the last few years have seemed like a dream.
Unfortunately I had to miss the re-arranged game against West Ham even though I had a ticket. IMO the best results in our post-war history were beating 1st tier Sheffield Wednesday in 1964, winning promotion at Walsall in 1979, drawing in CZJ, beating Leicester and drawing with Spurs. No doubt some of our older supporters will remember being promoted to the 2nd division just b4 the war.

42 years......... Now you have made me feel really old.... I was 10 years old, I sat in the lower grandstand next to the players tunnel and I got to meet both teams after the game and I got both sides to sign my shirt, which I still have framed on my garage/man cave wall
I can still remember the game as though it was yesterday.

I went to ALL the games you have listed plus many thousands more following my team.

Dedication or insanity? I'm still trying to work it out for myself......... Lol

Yep - drawing at home with Spurs might well have been the #1 occasion, but I was only thinking about wins ;-)
The more I think about it, I have to add the Great Escape match and Mark O'Brien's winner into the mix somewhere.
Despite all our grumblings about the pitch and not owning our own ground, the atmosphere at Dave Parade and it being so near to the City Centre, makes for a wonderful day/night out.

I forgot to mention the only time the County has won an away game against a first tier side. We won 3-1 in a 4th round replay on 5th February. Funnily enough we beat Brighton in the 1st round, then Leytonstone then Leeds, before losing against league leaders Portsmouth after extra time in the 5th round.

Ian Pope wrote:Yep - drawing at home with Spurs might well have been the #1 occasion, but I was only thinking about wins ;-)
The more I think about it, I have to add the Great Escape match and Mark O'Brien's winner into the mix somewhere.
Despite all our grumblings about the pitch and not owning our own ground, the atmosphere at Dave Parade and it being so near to the City Centre, makes for a wonderful day/night out.
On the subject of Mark O’Brien’s winner against Notts County, I’ve often wondered what the noise from Rodney Parade sounded like in the centre town when the goal went in. Although, thinking about it, this is probably the place I’m least likely to get an answer.

Blackandamber wrote:
No doubt some of our older supporters will remember being promoted to the 2nd division just b4 the war.
Eighty two years have since gone past. It would make a great podcast if there is an older supporter who remembers as a boy what it was like. Sadly it may already be the case that our then promotion has passed from living memory.

Ian Pope wrote:Yep - drawing at home with Spurs might well have been the #1 occasion, but I was only thinking about wins ;-)
I feel a poll coming on. Perhaps we should get the nominations in here for County’s greatest ever game/result. Then put the nomination to a poll.

My nominations:

CZJ away
CZJ home
Notts Cty home - great escape
Spurs FA cup home
Leicester FA cup home
Sheffield Wed FA cup home
Middlesbrough FA cup home
Pompey FA cup away 1949
Cardiff City L3 home Easter Monday
Leeds FA Cup home
Walsall L4 away
West Ham FA cup home
Everton FA Cup home
Wembley v Wrexham

Hope someone can add to this and start a poll. I’m sure I have missed some.

pembsexile wrote:
I feel a poll coming on. Perhaps we should get the nominations in here for County’s greatest ever game/result. Then put the nomination to a poll.

My nominations:

CZJ away
CZJ home
Notts Cty home - great escape
Spurs FA cup home
Leicester FA cup home
Sheffield Wed FA cup home
Middlesbrough FA cup home
Pompey FA cup away 1949
Cardiff City L3 home Easter Monday
Leeds FA Cup home
Walsall L4 away
West Ham FA cup home
Everton FA Cup home
Wembley v Wrexham

Hope someone can add to this and start a poll. I’m sure I have missed some.
Huddersfield FA Cup away 1949
Shrewsbury Welsh Cup final
Havant & Waterlooville 2010 conf south
First game after going bust 1989

Good Evening

Just reading the matches listed gives me goosebumps! Personal memories of so many of them. For what it prevented and the pure drama, I’m going for Notts County, I think we had pretty much given it up until that late goal. It would have been terrible to start a downward trend after a continued rise from oblivion.

Strictly personally it’s a nondescript 0-0 at Bishops Stortford, my first game “back” after about twenty years of not actually supporting a football team with any passion, and the drive home thinking, this is still my team, my passion and my future!

Phil in Northampton

Yes, for me it's the personal experiences and memories, as much as the scorelines that matter.

I started following County's results from afar as a 7 year old in 1955 (Newport my father's home town). First memory losing at home 2-0 in the FA Cup 4th round (?) to Arsenal in January 1957, with radio commentary by Raymond Glendenning, who had been at Newport High School with my dad in the 1920s. Commentators all have their catch phrases, and Raymond would often say "They're coming up now, they're coming up now!" when a team crossed the halfway line.

Second big occasion came on 11th September 1974 when we played a League Cup game at Stamford Bridge, which was the first County game I saw live. Quite a match which Chelsea (my other club then) eventually won 4-2. Should definitely be on Pembs' list.

Then I got to see our great early 80s team when they played in London (5-1 at Leyton Orient the high spot, 3-0 defeat at Millwall the low one, when promotion was still very much on in 1982/83.

A blank decade from 1987-1996 when AFC emerged to play at Carshalton in the FA Trophy, and a match (Beazer Homes) against Burton Albion in 1999 en route to north Wales, when a young Flynny was on the bench.

Then the great breakthrough into Blue Square South, which meant I could go regularly to away games as retirement loomed.
Two good memories from 2009/10: November game at Dover when we displaced them at the top of the table (2 goals from Craig Reid I think) and never looked back, and the glorious night at Spytty In March (!) when we secured promotion and I was there in a crowd of 4420!

Since then we've all had some ecstatic experiences in among the less memorable trips, and as we say, the journey
continues, albeit virtually.