Re: Letter to Mark Drakeford

Its all well and good being so sanctimonious now but at the time this letter was written, fans were being let in to certain grounds in England dependant on which tier they were in, in that context I don't see anything wrong with welsh sports teams asking the same question. Whether you agree with it is a different question.

Ugo. wrote:Its all well and good being so sanctimonious now but at the time this letter was written, fans were being let in to certain grounds in England dependant on which tier they were in, in that context I don't see anything wrong with welsh sports teams asking the same question. Whether you agree with it is a different question.
Hang on a second. At the time the letter was written I and anyone who thought it through knew the letter was a totally selfish and irresponsible act. If you wish to accuse me of being sanctimonious by all means have your opinion but your argument that the context at the time somehow justified this piece of bog paper is utterly misconceived.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:104,000 excess deaths in the last 10 months.

Please Gavin Foxhall will you just withdraw your support for this letter? To have signed it I can accept as a mistake. However, not to withdraw the support of Newport County for this crass piece of bog paper is a stain on our club.
There have not been 104, 000 EXCESS deaths. Excess deaths have been small this winter compared to last spring. Please look at the facts as many people would have died as they do every winter. Most were nosocomial.

Seriously losing it now. Mistake after mistake.

Caradog wrote:

Please Gavin Foxhall will you just withdraw your support for this letter? To have signed it I can accept as a mistake. However, not to withdraw the support of Newport County for this crass piece of bog paper is a stain on our club.
There have not been 104, 000 EXCESS deaths. Excess deaths have been small this winter compared to last spring. Please look at the facts as many people would have died as they do every winter. Most were nosocomial.

Yes there have been.

Caradog wrote:

While I disagree entirely with Stan's somewhat hysterical response to the letter (I think it's perfectly acceptable for the sports industry to lobby government in the same way other sectors have), he is right re excess deaths. The figure for the UK since March is just over 100,000 excess deaths (deaths over & above a five-year average) as of January 8.

Jonesy3 wrote:
Caradog wrote:

While I disagree entirely with Stan's somewhat hysterical response to the letter (I think it's perfectly acceptable for the sports industry to lobby government in the same way other sectors have), he is right re excess deaths. The figure for the UK since March is just over 100,000 excess deaths (deaths over & above a five-year average) as of January 8.
No, it's not.

whoareya wrote:Hopefully were not going to get lectured on how the ROI have been so much better at controlling the pandemic.

Seeing as they now have one of highest infection rates in the world.
Yes that did cross my mind. Said I should fall through a stupid tree for stating facts about C19 spread at 3 sporting events.

Then made the stupidest comment I read last year comparing UK and ROI infection rates.

Caradog wrote:
whoareya wrote:Hopefully were not going to get lectured on how the ROI have been so much better at controlling the pandemic.

Seeing as they now have one of highest infection rates in the world.
Yes that did cross my mind. Said I should fall through a stupid tree for stating facts about C19 spread at 3 sporting events.

Then made the stupidest comment I read last year comparing UK and ROI infection rates.
According to the ONS, 9 out of 10 death certificates state Covid as the cause of death.