Re: Exiles Grandstand: FA Cup 3rd Round Brighton & Hove Albi

If any game sums up the addiction of being a football supporter then this was it.
My stomach feels like it’s been on a roller coaster at double speed, I’m mentally exhausted, and physically battered. Penalties are so cruel and so dramatic too.
Just hope our season doesn’t nose dive now, if we can keep the momentum going as long as possible then anything is possible.
Thank you Newport County for another unbelievably exciting night of drama and entertainment

Phil in Northampton

There's no shame in losing to a decent BHA team. Their league position doesn't reflect their ability. They need a decent striker to turn their draws into wins.

Thought County set up well and defensively were fairly sound. Midfield was a bit lacking and Podge was a little unlucky with both half-chances and had very little service.

I did say the other day that I thought Longe-King may be preferred to either Baker as CB or Howkins and he acquitted himself well. A few small things to work on but the shirt is his for the weekend. I thought King was excellent tonight. I do wonder whether the difference tonight was that Brighton did their research on penalties and County may not of...

Proud of the boys tonight. Robbie - I honestly don’t k is what he brings to the side any more so would happily let him go if someone would take him. Collins didn’t want to do the running that his fresh legs should have had so I could see why he was hooked. Everyone else did themselves proud and never stopped trying. King made som world class saves. Mickey, Matty and Shep were superb. Longe-King was super too and for a first outing makes me think we already have our replacement for cooper. Sheehan got into the game and was excellent as usual. Benno great. Disappointed we could find the win but if I’m honest I think we could do without the games and now fully focus on promotion which is achievable if we can find ourselves a goalscorer.

[quote="Percy plunkett"
Collins coming off was a surprise

In fact, the more I think about this, MF has 'thrown Collins under the bus' with this decision. It was rash and could damage the lad's confidence, not to mention we had no-one with any energy after we did take the game to ET.

Substituting a substitute is very rarely done unless there's an injury, at that stage if I was convinced I wanted both Proctor and Ellison on the pitch as one last throw of the dice I'd have taken off Bennett or Haynes instead of Collins, not because they were playing badly (they didn't) but because Collins had more in the tank to offer.

If I was Collins I'd be kicking a few water bottles round the dressing room tonight and then respectfully asking MF for an explanation tomorrow.