Re: Exiles Grandstand: FA Cup 3rd Round Brighton & Hove Albi

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:
In fact, the more I think about this, MF has 'thrown Collins under the bus' with this decision. It was rash and could damage the lad's confidence, not to mention we had no-one with any energy after we did take the game to ET.

Substituting a substitute is very rarely done unless there's an injury, at that stage if I was convinced I wanted both Proctor and Ellison on the pitch as one last throw of the dice I'd have taken off Bennett or Haynes instead of Collins, not because they were playing badly (they didn't) but because Collins had more in the tank to offer.

If I was Collins I'd be kicking a few water bottles round the dressing room tonight and then respectfully asking MF for an explanation tomorrow.
I am sure Flynn explained to him why. There was seconds left and he wanted 3 target men up top to whack it up to. It would have been suicide to leave Collins on with those 3 on as he would have had to take another Midfielder/Defender off and we would have lost shape if we managed to score (and we did) . Don't think he's been thrown under the bus just the priority changed and he was the obvious one to take off, also a shame Dolan had to come off but again he was the obvious other so that we could go to a back 4 and not lose shape in midfield.

It's funny, and makes for good debate, that we can all watch the same game yet see things differently.

I thought Collins was full of energy, he made a great block in our penalty area yet still chased down his own clearance as no-one else had the energy to do so. He'd have made an adequate wing-back if we were forced to take off a defender, he's played there before.

My view is taking him off in the 91st minute to bring on a 41yo with - at that point - an outside chance of playing an extra 30mins was a 'last throw of the dice' and not thought through by our management team. I'd be seething if I was Collins but I guess that's why I'm not a pro footballer.

faerun exile wrote:Good effort tonight - seems disappointing to lose due to our previous cup exploits. Biggest plus for me was DLK doing well. Hopefully we already have the CBs we need to finish the season well. Good to have Taylor back too plus Scrimshaw and Windsor will add some pace - closing down oppo defence will lead to a goal or 2 on our pitch at the very least.
Was thinking along the same lines. Hope we are proved right.

DeePeeNCAFC wrote:It's funny, and makes for good debate, that we can all watch the same game yet see things differently.

I thought Collins was full of energy, he made a great block in our penalty area yet still chased down his own clearance as no-one else had the energy to do so. He'd have made an adequate wing-back if we were forced to take off a defender, he's played there before.

My view is taking him off in the 91st minute to bring on a 41yo with - at that point - an outside chance of playing an extra 30mins was a 'last throw of the dice' and not thought through by our management team. I'd be seething if I was Collins but I guess that's why I'm not a pro footballer.
I am not sure a Collins kick and hope and run after it, is the quality we need! I think he is unlikely to make it with us and would not be surprised to see him and Willmott go out on loan. Otherwise very good performance, LK suggests Cooper leaving will not be an issue.

County ranger wrote:
DeePeeNCAFC wrote:It's funny, and makes for good debate, that we can all watch the same game yet see things differently.

I am not sure a Collins kick and hope and run after it, is the quality we need! I think he is unlikely to make it with us and would not be surprised to see him and Willmott go out on loan. Otherwise very good performance, LK suggests Cooper leaving will not be an issue.
Flynny was constantly screaming at him to chase stuff down. I didn’t think he worked hard enough to defend from the front and let some defenders run past him quite easily. I guess that’s why Flynny took him off - plus the need to put a few big lads up top. It left us a bit unbalanced for extra time but needs must at the time. Hopefully one or two more new faces can bring in a bit more end product and we’ll make a good fist of the promotion push. I really don’t fancy the play-offs again plus I think automatic gives you an advantage as you have a few extra weeks to plan for league one.

While we have been treated to yet another rollercoaster of a game, and a few £ in the bank. Sadly two elements were missing last night, the ability to score goals and a couple of players that have gone back to their parent club`s, the run in to the end of the season is going to be yet another rollercoaster ride with a number of teams around us coming into a run of form, while we seem to going off the boil, buckle up and enjoy what lay`s ahead.

flat4 wrote:the run in to the end of the season is going to be yet another rollercoaster ride with a number of teams around us coming into a run of form, while we seem to going off the boil, buckle up and enjoy what lay`s ahead.
I'm not sure that's fair. We were up against a first division side last night and we held our own. The rest of our games this season will be against fourth division sides. We mustn't be complacent; indeed, we'll need to raise our game for those matches just as we did last night and to perform at a high level - but if we can add a few fresh faces to the squad to provide cover at CB and possibly a bit of midfield creativity so there's competition for places, there's every reason for optimism.