Re: RIP Captain Tom

The most fitting tribute to him would be for the UK Government to properly fund NHS England (and the devolved nations to get a Barnett consequential to do the same for their health and care provision) so we never again need vulernable pensioners to raise money for underfunded state services.

Rest in peace.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:The most fitting tribute to him would be for the UK Government to properly fund NHS England (and the devolved nations to get a Barnett consequential to do the same for their health and care provision) so we never again need vulernable pensioners to raise money for underfunded state services.

Rest in peace.
The money never went to the NHS, it went to NHS charities, there is a huge difference.

A people’s hero, done his bit for his country more than once.

What a fantastic final year of his life if you take covid and lockdown out of the equation. Raised squillions for NHS charities, wrote an autobiography, had a Number 1 single, got a military promotion and a Knighthood.

Ended his days with, reportedly, an all-expenses paid trip to Barbados with his family before catching pneumonia and then covid.

He was one of the only bright things to happen in our lives during 2020.

I’m in 2 minds about his trip to Barbados. If I had a loved 100yo relative would I fly them to the other side of the world and back to the UK in mid winter, even putting covid to one side? No, I wouldn’t. Did he deserve the trip, of course he did and was something he wanted to do. Should someone have persuaded him not to go, at his age, during winter and during a pandemic? Possibly, possibly not.

Fully deserves a hero’s farewell with an aerial ‘fly past’, and I hope his family are genuinely proud of everything he’s done, as are we.

RIP Sir Captain Tom.

Willthiswork wrote:
Kairdiff Exile wrote:The most fitting tribute to him would be for the UK Government to properly fund NHS England (and the devolved nations to get a Barnett consequential to do the same for their health and care provision) so we never again need vulernable pensioners to raise money for underfunded state services.

Rest in peace.
The money never went to the NHS, it went to NHS charities, there is a huge difference.
I'm sure that the people who contributed the £32,000,000 believed that their money was going to be used to help sick people via the NHS. If this were the case I suspect there is no difference at all. If it is not the case and you know differently then perhaps you should inform us all where the money went.

As for the man himself it was a life well lived and an act of selfless goodness on his part which is rightly applauded by all right thinking people.