Literature.... ( books)

Good Evening

Inspired by revelations on a different thread, I thought I would encourage you to share your connections with books.

I have respect for anyone who has written a book, and of forum members I’m aware Bob Bassett has.

So please share... books you read in childhood, book you are reading now ( or the last one) books you still intend to read and the book that you most enjoyed of all.

That should throw up a varied and interesting collection!

Phil in the library

Re: Literature.... ( books)

Most enjoyable book:

Les liaisons dangerouse - Dangerous aquantances (in English)

I won’t bore people with the full detail here, but a fabulous read. Helped to destroy a period of history (The Age of Reason) where men thought everything in the world could be understood by reason and logic. Written in 1789. Relates to today’s football. Combat between emotion and logic and how one destroys the other. Football statistics and football opinions. Effin brilliant.

Good Afternoon

One of the few books I’ve read more than once, albeit many years ago, was “Goalkeepers are different “ by Brian Granville ( I think). I was a goalie as a kid and it told the story of a young kids dreams of being a top goalkeeper and his achievement of his dream. For a footy mad kid it was a great story!

I read loads of books as a youngster, probably not much of serious substance though!

Murder/crime by James Hadley Chase, a lot of them!

Second half starting so more later!

Phil in Npton

I’m reading a book called ‘The Nowhere Men’ about the lives and careers of football scouts. It’s interesting to see that the traditional scout watching games live and trying to unearth the next star is a dying breed, with most clubs and managers now using analytical data and banks of streamed games to find their next signing.

And, as a result, plenty turn out to be duds because the scout would’ve spotted little signs like how well the player gets on with his team-mates, how much pre-match warm-up he did, attitude when substituted etc which the videos and statistical data never reveal.