Calling all Numismatists

If it ain't amber or ain't football then it belongs here!
no avatar
User

mad norm

In a Station Lane not as long as Warnhams

Re: Calling all Numismatists

Postby mad norm » February 5th, 2021, 6:29 pm

No sign of one in my change
The manager of Corals where I donate a few quid every week has a few though
no avatar
User

UPTHEPORT

The Republic of Malpas

Postby UPTHEPORT » February 6th, 2021, 2:17 pm

no avatar
User

pembsexile

Sunny and warm Pembrokeshire

Postby pembsexile » February 10th, 2021, 5:31 pm

For those of you who collect 50p’s this may be interesting. This year the Royal Mint produced a 50p 50 years anniversary coin. It was available in the Annual coin sets released by the RM every year as either proof or brilliant uncirculated. The obverse of this coin featured the 1st portrait of the Queen as in 1971.

However, in January this year the RM issued a 50th anniversary 50p coin with the Queens 5th portrait (the current one) on it. Quite unusual. Two of the same coins in the same year with different portraits of the Queen on it. Unless you specifically collect 50p coins this may not be any interest to you personally. Of general interest nonetheless and depending upon the mintage figures, may be of value in the future.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Postby pembsexile » February 11th, 2021, 6:14 pm

Hadn’t realised until now that Banksy has influenced the Numismatic world. In 2004 he released thousands of fake tenners into the NottingHill Carnival and later at the Reading festival. They were known as Di faced tenners released by Banksy of England as they had a photo of the Princess of Wales on the front with altered wording on the back.

At the time apparently some people managed to spend them at face value. They shouldn’t have. In December last year one (genuine) Banksy fake sold for 5,570 dollars!!

Apparently even the British Museum has a copy of this Banksy tenner curated amongst their coins, medals and paper money.

If you have one, contact an auction house and ask what it is worth. Beware buying one though. Apparently there are (fake) fakes doing the rounds. Where there is money, there is money to be made. Fascinating.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Postby pembsexile » February 15th, 2021, 9:38 am

Today is the 50th anniversary of DDay, the decimalisation of our coinage.

I remember it well. Couldn’t see what the fuss was about but my Nan took the opposite view. For a while she refused to spend any of this ‘foreign’ money. I think the older generation at the time took it very personally.

Great story on the BBC news page about what coins to look out for today. They have interviewed someone from the Royal Mint about the ‘valuable’ coins out there. The number one has nothing to do with decimalisation. I will leave it to you to guess what it is.
no avatar
User

pembsexile

Postby pembsexile » February 21st, 2021, 10:35 am

I have mentioned previously that the numismatic world has been setting price records in the past year as new collectors enter the arena. News this week that another record has been set.

There is an annual bun (coin) fight called the New York Numismatic Convention. It is held every year, guess where :grin: This year was held online. A Brasher doubloon was sold on auction there in January for 9.3 million dollars. Wow. What was special about the coin is that it was the first gold coin minted by the newly independent USA and only 9 are know to be in existence.

At the sale, 6 coins were sold for over a million dollars, with five world records being set. The overall auction sale was 90.68 million dollars. For coins ffs!! Some of these coins went to new clients who had never purchased coins before.

As I said, there is money to be made in coins. Out of my range though.
Previous