Re: Stadium Discussion(s)

PMG wrote:The point I was making was that the old directors did try and it was just prior to the Trust taking over the Trust new of the discussions as they were part of the board,and they choose not to continue with the plan
Maybe they did maybe they didn’t
Let us assume you are 100% correct.

I don't care about the past. Who was to blame, who wasn't. Who did this, who said what. It just doesn't matter.

What does matter is what we do now, closing days of February 2021. And I say we all know we have to face this problem and once and for all solve it. So the question is do Messrs Ward, Foxall and Johnson have the balls to finally face up to the problem or not?

It is simply not true that no thought has been given to a new ground all the way back to 1989 - which is a bogus date anyway given we had to spend the next five years sorting out the FAW - and Stan is well aware of this as we discussed an earlier plan here. Most recently a year ago, but before that too.

To recap: The proposal was for a ground to the west of town, on land belonging to Tredegar Park Golf Club in the gap between the M4 and Forge Road. It would have been part of a bigger retail or business park and like other grounds in that era, the developer must have wanted one or more facilities with a community benefit to ease the planning process.

A consultant representing the developer made a presentation to a meeting of the Over the Bridge Exiles in Basingstoke. Other supporters I know were more sceptical than me, and they called it dead right. The guy was a bit flash and had some previous with other clubs, but even if it had all been kosher the location would still have been terrible so far out of town.

It was a lesson in some of the pitfalls involved and it gives the lie to any suggestion the club has never investigated the possibilities.

George Street-Bridge wrote:It is simply not true that no thought has been given to a new ground all the way back to 1989 - which is a bogus date anyway given we had to spend the next five years sorting out the FAW - and Stan is well aware of this as we discussed an earlier plan here. Most recently a year ago, but before that too.

To recap: The proposal was for a ground to the west of town, on land belonging to Tredegar Park Golf Club in the gap between the M4 and Forge Road. It would have been part of a bigger retail or business park and like other grounds in that era, the developer must have wanted one or more facilities with a community benefit to ease the planning process.

A consultant representing the developer made a presentation to a meeting of the Over the Bridge Exiles in Basingstoke. Other supporters I know were more sceptical than me, and they called it dead right. The guy was a bit flash and had some previous with other clubs, but even if it had all been kosher the location would still have been terrible so far out of town.

It was a lesson in some of the pitfalls involved and it gives the lie to any suggestion the club has never investigated the possibilities.

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. Whatever thought may have been given we ended up at Spytty Park which was and is a totally unsuitable venue for League football. We are now at Rodney Parade. I need say no more.

If you wish to remain in 1995 you may do so. However for those of us who realize it is 2021 we know we have to address the problem of having a fit for purpose stadium. That can only be done if we all work together. This argument that we don't know what is being done behind closed doors will no longer suffice, because after 32 years of behind closed doors discussion we know the result. Paying rent for a barely adequate stadium and a totally inadequate pitch.

So once again. To those who can, should and must start the ball rolling.

If not now, when?

Absolutely. My point is it's unhelpful if the path that has led us to where we are is misrepresented by false claims the club has never looked into the possibilities.

Saying we need a fit-for-purpose ground is no great insight, it applies to every club at every level. For what it's worth my view is that's Rodney Parade and I'd rule out Spytty because it's too far out. Not too far out from pubs, but from public transport.

I think Rodney Parade needs us just as much as we need it and I'm sure this close to renewal it's being worked on intensely. I'm disappointed County's interests went straight out the window when Cardiff Blues flashed the cash. I think that also damaged the Dragons because it dented their credibility with County supporters.

Three possibles:
- NRFC to play only a very limited number of games at RP at times of the year when the pitch isn't under stress;
- an artificial pitch on the cabbage patch for NRFC, with limited spectator accommodation mostly in a two-sided stand at the North Terrace because of the narrowness of the site;
- one I've seen suggested only this week which would need council support. Resite the school to the cabbage patch and build a new stadium across the school and bus depot sites.

George Street-Bridge wrote:Absolutely. My point is it's unhelpful if the path that has led us to where we are is misrepresented by false claims the club has never looked into the possibilities.

Saying we need a fit-for-purpose ground is no great insight, it applies to every club at every level. For what it's worth my view is that's Rodney Parade and I'd rule out Spytty because it's too far out. Not too far out from pubs, but from public transport.

I think Rodney Parade needs us just as much as we need it and I'm sure this close to renewal it's being worked on intensely. I'm disappointed County's interests went straight out the window when Cardiff Blues flashed the cash. I think that also damaged the Dragons because it dented their credibility with County supporters.

Three possibles:
- NRFC to play only a very limited number of games at RP at times of the year when the pitch isn't under stress;
- an artificial pitch on the cabbage patch for NRFC, with limited spectator accommodation mostly in a two-sided stand at the North Terrace because of the narrowness of the site;
- one I've seen suggested only this week which would need council support. Resite the school to the cabbage patch and build a new stadium across the school and bus depot sites.
Totally disagree.

Here is not a possibility but the all consuming probability. As any scientist will tell you the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour.

The owners of Rodney Parade, now the WRU will say the following. It's our stadium, pay the rent or get out. The idea that the WRU needs us as much as we need them is totally ludicrous. Let me explain.

Scenario 1. Newport County say to the WRU 'we are leaving Rodney Parade'. What do you think the WRU are likely to do? Go down on their knees and beg us to stay because if we do that the WRU would be in deep doodoo?

Scenario 2. The WRU say to Newport County that they, the WRU, will not be renewing our license to play at Rodney Parade. Other than going down on our knees and begging for mercy, what else can we do?

And whether or not any thought has been given over the last 32 years to stadium provision by boards of directors at Newport County, and I believe there must have been, having all these behind closed doors has done f@ck all good has it? So we need a proper open debate involving us all. and....

If not now, when?

George Street-Bridge wrote:Absolutely. My point is it's unhelpful if the path that has led us to where we are is misrepresented by false claims the club has never looked into the possibilities.

Three possibles:
So my thinking was the opposite of what Tottenham do. An artificial pitch on rails, sited on the cabbage patch but which could be wheeled in under the North terrace/stand (whatever it ends up being) and over the grass pitch for rugby matches and then wheeled back out on the cabbage patch afterwards. Could be used for training/community etc on non-match days. Problem I see is then we are the only ones that need grass so I don't know what impact that has on costs to the County. However, would certainly be overall a cheaper option than starting again on the school site.

Sad to see this campaign didn't seem to progress.

Perhaps if things return to normal next year, the Trust could consider surveying fans on what they'd be willing to invest in re: a ground. For example, the trust budget (c. 60k?) would go a long way to any such project if fans would back it.

I'd put my £5 pm towards it

After watching the game on Ifollow yesterday on the Cardiff City pitch did it not give you the feel-good factor that Newport County deserves to have a stadium to call there own.

I'm not saying a stadium the same as Cardiff City Capacity of 33,280 at a Construction cost of £48 million Broke ground in September 2007 and Opened on 22nd July 2009. In April 2013 it was announced by a Cardiff City director that the capacity at the stadium could be expanded to 35,000 before the beginning of the 2014/15 season. Ok, it was a long term target by former owner Sam Hammam.

On 12th August 2014, the stadium hosted the 2014 UEFA Super Cup between the 2013–14 UEFA Champions League winners Real Madrid and the 2013–14 UEFA Europa League winners Sevilla. Real Madrid won 2–0.

On 1st June 2017, it hosted the final of the 2016–17 UEFA Women's Champions League.

Have a good think about starting your group again or even a different group of people with a vision of the future. As I said above, you can do this. You just need to believe.

The Newport wrote:After watching the game on Ifollow yesterday on the Cardiff City pitch did it not give you the feel-good factor that Newport County deserves to have a stadium to call there own.

I'm not saying a stadium the same as Cardiff City Capacity of 33,280 at a Construction cost of £48 million Broke ground in September 2007 and Opened on 22nd July 2009. In April 2013 it was announced by a Cardiff City director that the capacity at the stadium could be expanded to 35,000 before the beginning of the 2014/15 season. Ok, it was a long term target by former owner Sam Hammam.

On 12th August 2014, the stadium hosted the 2014 UEFA Super Cup between the 2013–14 UEFA Champions League winners Real Madrid and the 2013–14 UEFA Europa League winners Sevilla. Real Madrid won 2–0.

On 1st June 2017, it hosted the final of the 2016–17 UEFA Women's Champions League.

Have a good think about starting your group again or even a different group of people with a vision of the future. As I said above, you can do this. You just need to believe.
What you overlook is the reason the Cardiff City Stadium got built is because Cardiff City had a multi-millionaire owner who could dip into his very deep pockets to fund it. County don't.

wattsville_boy wrote:
The Newport wrote:After watching the game on Ifollow yesterday on the Cardiff City pitch did it not give you the feel-good factor that Newport County deserves to have a stadium to call there own.

What you overlook is the reason the Cardiff City Stadium got built is because Cardiff City had a multi-millionaire owner who could dip into his very deep pockets to fund it. County don't.
And what you overlook is that Newport County are the only one of 92 clubs forced to play elsewhere because their pitch is not fit for purpose. What you overlook is that one way or another 91 Premier and League sides have somehow managed to have fit for purpose stadia. Many like Crawley renting from the local authority. Many like Oldham who were able to secure a loan from the local authority of £5,500,000 to develop their stadium. Even Coventry are returning next season

For 30 odd years boards of directors at Newport County have not only failed to address this problem but I can't remember ever once a single director of County even publicly stating we had a problem.

And this is how serious the problem is. Right now we are a League club. Notts County are non league. Be honest, who do you think has the brightest future?

Stan you’re wrong again
We moved from Spytty park because football League was not possible....
If we had stayed there we would not be playing in the football league,
So it was a very brave move but paid off
But has created another issue,
Many fans and particularly the Trust wanted to stay at Spytty as they were comfortable with Bar Amber etc etc
No ambition
Which is where we are now the directors may have ambitions but don’t have the skills
It needs a hand picked array of business people
Doers who can get things done and not just talk about it,
There are lots of people on this message board that just want to make a noise and never do a damn thing
There are a few that put their head above the parapet and try and do things
But sadly they get shot down
And Stan you’re probably one of the worse culprits to shoot people down