Re: Grandstand: Exiles v Forest Green

County ranger wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
County ranger wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
gazza wrote:Wonder if we looked as bad as we sounded?
It wasn’t exactly woeful but it certainly wasn’t good. We did have more possession but didn’t create any chances at all. Apart from the open goal header in the first half we didn’t have a decent chance.

I just wonder if the pitch and the fact that we don’t seem to have many players signed up for next season is affecting the players. They have to wonder where we will be playing football in a year or so. Abysmal pitch. The efl will probably take action soon.
When have the EFL ever taken action on a pitch particularly as games are not being postponed- watching too much Premier League. The pitch is poor but hey they all were in years gone by and take a look at Quest rather than Sky and you will see a number of pitches like ours.
My point is that the pitch seems to be affecting the players. They seem fed up playing on it whoever we play or what ever team we field. The pitch has got progressively worse since December. That coincides with our poor run of form.

The state of pitches in the past has absolutely no relevance whatsoever to the state of pitches today. People expect better. That pitch is a shambles. Other teams see able to play better on it than us lately. It is one of the worst I have ever seen in this day and age.
Should it not give us home advantage, as we should be used to it and deploy tactics to manage it?
Think you have missed my point. I think the players are fed up with it. People say ‘it’s the same for both teams’. Yes it is, but we play on it more often. I suspect that is affecting the players.

pembsexile wrote:
JonD wrote:Other teams play on it once a season. It's got to be fatiguing playing on it once a week.
You beat me to it again Jon. I think it is in the players heads that ‘we have to play on that bloody pitch again’. Other teams once a season. Us, every other bloody week.
Yep that's why I think we have to give Flynny some slack the board should be banging on the egg chasers doors and get a temporary fix such as Swansea did or ask for money back

Exile 1976 wrote:
neilcork68 wrote:
Trev wrote:So was it Barca or the crazy gang approach today I cdnt bear to watch today just checked scores now and then

No it was the MF throw on as many strikers as you can even though you didnt address the fact that we have no creative players to create chances for them.
OK the pitch is shite but FGR managed to play on it and score 2 goals...we had 1 shot on target even with 6 strikers on the pitch

I disagree with you there mate, I felt we played better football (and we were shit) than FGR
Whats the point of having so much possession and creating nothing ?
One shot on target during the whole game....
FGR adapted better to the conditions and defended deep waiting for us to make mistakes, which we did.
Pathetic service from out wide to our 6 strikers, taking off strikers and replacing them with others yet failing to address the problem of lack of creativity and service to the strikers , failing to put any decent crosses in , cant beat the first man when taking corners.

Next game on Wednesday he will do exactly the same only change the strikers around to start off with again because it didnt work today . If it aint working he will replace the strikers or bring on more.. He still wont address the problem of NO service to them.
I would start with Labs and Bennett( is he back ?) and Dolan sitting in front of the back 5 of Shep, LK , Farquharson , Demetriou and Haynes , Telford as the number 10 / playmaker with Maynard up front and hopefully snatch a draw at the very least

UPTHEPORT wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
JonD wrote:Other teams play on it once a season. It's got to be fatiguing playing on it once a week.
You beat me to it again Jon. I think it is in the players heads that ‘we have to play on that bloody pitch again’. Other teams once a season. Us, every other bloody week.
Yep that's why I think we have to give Flynny some slack the board should be banging on the egg chasers doors and get a temporary fix such as Swansea did or ask for money back
It is certainly not MF fault that we have that pitch. I just think he has a monumental headache trying to motivate the players to play on it at the moment. I do not envy him at all. No idea what the result will be but you watch for a better performance from us away in the week. It will happen.

I have no idea (clueless actually) how MF will motivate them to do better on that pitch. If things don’t improve soon, all our excellent early season work will go down the pan because of that pathetic pitch. The players know what they will expect before they’d even go outside. However, MF is the Manager, not me. He has been dealt a bad hand. It’s how he deals with it that matters.

pembsexile wrote:
County ranger wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
County ranger wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
gazza wrote:Wonder if we looked as bad as we sounded?
It wasn’t exactly woeful but it certainly wasn’t good. We did have more possession but didn’t create any chances at all. Apart from the open goal header in the first half we didn’t have a decent chance.

I just wonder if the pitch and the fact that we don’t seem to have many players signed up for next season is affecting the players. They have to wonder where we will be playing football in a year or so. Abysmal pitch. The efl will probably take action soon.
When have the EFL ever taken action on a pitch particularly as games are not being postponed- watching too much Premier League. The pitch is poor but hey they all were in years gone by and take a look at Quest rather than Sky and you will see a number of pitches like ours.
My point is that the pitch seems to be affecting the players. They seem fed up playing on it whoever we play or what ever team we field. The pitch has got progressively worse since December. That coincides with our poor run of form.

The state of pitches in the past has absolutely no relevance whatsoever to the state of pitches today. People expect better. That pitch is a shambles. Other teams see able to play better on it than us lately. It is one of the worst I have ever seen in this day and age.
Should it not give us home advantage, as we should be used to it and deploy tactics to manage it?
Think you have missed my point. I think the players are fed up with it. People say ‘it’s the same for both teams’. Yes it is, but we play on it more often. I suspect that is affecting the players.
Fair point I think they should try and turn it to an advantage but get the fed up bit. Let’s hope it is a good playing surface Wednesday.

We've had good playing surfaces away and been very poor, Flynn said there were two mistakes, he's right the set-up and team selection.
The chairman needs to grow a pair put him on gardening leave until his contract ends or he find alternative employment. We were sneeking wins at the begining of the season based on a sound defence, we still had very little creativity in midfied and little or nothing up front, it's all caught up on us and Flynn has no idea how to get out of it. Southend beat us, Grimsby outplayed for a long while. nine men of Exeter held us I could go on!!!

flat4 wrote:Possession = Newport 66% Forest Green 34%

Passes = Newport 192 Forest Green 98

Shots = Newport 3 Forest Green 3

Shots on target = Newport 1 Forest Green 1

Shots blocked = Newport 0 Forest Green 1

Forest Green happy to let us run our self`s into the ground and pick us of at will in the first half, second half needs a total re-think by MF or it will be more of the same sadly.
Stats at Full Time (+8 extra time)

Possession = Newport 66% Forest Green 34%

Passes = Newport 369 Forest Green 233

Shots = Newport 8 Forest Green 5

Shots on target = Newport 1 Forest Green 3

Shots blocked = Newport 1 Forest Green 1

Shooting Accuracy = Newport 13% Forest Green 60%

Crosses = Newport 27 Forest Green 8

Crossing Accuracy = Newport 15% Forest Green 13%

Need I go on, what the hell do they get told in training to produce a performance like todays, I've said it before MF lost the dressing room months ago.

Stands back awaiting your answers.

Friends say I complain about the strikers but that I should complain more about the service.
I agree that the service has not been good but even when the chances do come we do not benefit from them.
Look at the statistic:

Shooting Accuracy: Newport County 13%, Forest Green 60%..................enough said.

This has been a problem since Day 1 of the season- even when we were top we were usually scoring only one- sometimes two goals. How manhy times have we scored 3 - not to mention 4 or 5 in a match!

Tactics,why is Sheehan playing so deep.Why was he trotting across to pick the ball up level with our penalty area.He was playing behind Labs,who is there to stop the opposition playing but he doesn’t create anything.He was behind Hartigan,who is a DM player,even at the end,he was still deep.Surely,he should be on the edge of their box trying to thread balls through,the same last Tuesday.Are we trying not to score.