Re: Flynn on the loan market (FCBusiness)

sblair1979 wrote:I think it's safe to say we wouldn't be in such a good position without our loanees (particularly Cooper and Twine) so I'd have to say I'm in favour of us loaning talented youngsters.

I also don't think we would have made the playoffs in 2019 without Regan Poole, Bakinson or (for a brief period) Semenyo.
Another way of judging, is how often were the County in the later stages of the major cups, top of our league at Christmas etc, in the seventy odd seasons without the loan system?

Personally I think all clubs should have a quota that they can acquire for each age group. The likes of Chelsea hoover up youngsters that will never play for them. They should be limited by number in which case some of those youngsters will start at academies lower down the leagues and actually get to play proper football. If that happened then maybe the loan system wouldn’t be as important or as active.

Exile 1976 wrote:I'm not sure, but what I get from Brendan is that he's saying there shouldn't be a loan system full stop not just that we shouldn't use it, and if there wasn't then the big boys would stop hoovering up every half decent player with 10/20 of them going out on loan each season and therefore clubs down the pecking order would be picking up talent.
The reason that the big boys hoover up the talent is because TV money allows them to. The loan system is just a knock on consequence. Both Twine and Cooper had trouble proving that they had what it takes at their parent clubs, and needed the loan. In Cooper's case he has earned a contract improvement and extension. Twine has also proved himself and no doubt something will happen for him as well. How could either of these be in a position to better themselves stuck behind in the pecking order having progressed from the youth system?

Bangitintrnet wrote:
Exile 1976 wrote:I'm not sure, but what I get from Brendan is that he's saying there shouldn't be a loan system full stop not just that we shouldn't use it, and if there wasn't then the big boys would stop hoovering up every half decent player with 10/20 of them going out on loan each season and therefore clubs down the pecking order would be picking up talent.
The reason that the big boys hoover up the talent is because TV money allows them to. The loan system is just a knock on consequence. Both Twine and Cooper had trouble proving that they had what it takes at their parent clubs, and needed the loan. In Cooper's case he has earned a contract improvement and extension. Twine has also proved himself and no doubt something will happen for him as well. How could either of these be in a position to better themselves stuck behind in the pecking order having progressed from the youth system?

If teams weren't allowed to loan out players then those clubs with money wouldn't sign anywhere near as many players as they currently do.
Chelsea had something like 40 players on loan a couple of seasons ago, ridiculous.

That is exactly my point.

Many things have changed in the 50 odd years I have watch football. Not all of these changes have been for the good. Too many simply favour a few clubs and at it's essence football needs to be unpredictable.

Changes I don't like.

Champions League. Boring group stages designed only to ensure 'big' clubs get lots of TV exposure and don't run the risk of going out early.

Huge squads which allows a select few to make too hoover up all the talent and make too many games at Premier League level uncompetitive.

The loan system, whereby ;bigger' clubs hoover up talent and can afford to do so. Resulting in 'smaller' having progress stifled.

Staggered kick-off times. Ever travelled back from a game on a miserable Sunday night? Do we really all want to bow down before Sky TV?

Too many foreign players. No problem with a few but let's face it the Premier League is a circus. A side winning a European trophy is hardly a triumph for British football if 90% come from other countries. One or two foreign nationals in a team enhance the game but full teams?

Ruining the romance. I started watching football in 1966. In the 13 FA Cup final between 1966 and 1978 13 different sides won the competition. Money was more spread out and as a result the game was more competitive.

Football has improved, certainly in standard over the last half century. Stadiums are better and notwithstanding not by enough, football related violence and racism have declined. All of which is good.

But some of the fun seems to have gone out of the game

UPTHEPORT wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:Two points.

Firstly the situation re Twine shows all that is detrimental to Newport County in the loan system. County pay to develop young talent. If the player is a success he can be, and very often is recalled by the parent/exploiter club. If this f@cks up the season for the inferior/submissive club, too bad.

Second point which is similar. If as a club we are to progress I personally would like to see far less of this boot licking behaviour. In truth I'd like to see none of it whatsoever. This building a good relationship with Cardiff, Swansea and Bristol City. Whilst these clubs are not our enemies neither are they our friends. What they are, or at least should be, are our rivals. That we seem content to live on the crumbs these clubs toss us is simply pathetic on our part.
Well if you read the article Flynny says the loan system is important to us
And to be honest I'd rather take his view on the system as he hasn't done a bad job so far
Yeah, :shock: