Re: Michael Flynn

Yes, recent performances, and results, have been dire but I think it would be madness to remove Mike Flynn at this time.

My main reasons are:

a) Our league position is still pretty good (7th with two games in hand over the team at the top);
b) Even if performances don't improve we should be safe this season;
c) MF has turned it around before. I think he will again;
d) I think our drop in form has more to do with the players we have lost, and the state of the pitch, than our manager's ability;
e) I doubt we'd get anyone better;

Stow Hill Sid wrote:Yes, recent performances, and results, have been dire but I think it would be madness to remove Mike Flynn at this time.

My main reasons are:

a) Our league position is still pretty good (7th with two games in hand over the team at the top);
b) Even if performances don't improve we should be safe this season;
d) I think our drop in form has more to do with the players we have lost, and the state of the pitch, than our manager's ability;
e) I doubt we'd get anyone better;
a But how long for if this dire form continues
B We should be safe how I hate that lack of ambition
c Apart from the great escape when did this happen previously
d All down to Cooper and Twine certainly a huge loss but really do 2 players make a team possibly yes, Twines goals probably gave us a false sense of comfort, without his goals Flynnys job would definately be on the line as we would be well below half way in the league now. We play half our games away also.
e Totally agree who would want to manage a team playing on that disgraceful mud hole apart from journeymen managers who need the salary

Hello All,

I for one am not on the MF out bandwagon.
MF is the 13th longest serving manager in the football league 3 years 350 days.
Yes our performances of late have been atrocious.
Yes the pitch is diabolical.
True I have been perplexed by some of our loan signings and tactics on the pitch, and voiced my opinion.
I do try and not get on a crest of a wave by wanting players out, however badly they have been playing.
I will say if someone has had a bad game or hasn't contributed enough.
We are currently in 7th place in the league (likely to be overtaken by Exeter and Carlisle with their games in hand).
Had 2 good cup runs.
I don't profess to know MF's or the players wages, bonuses etc. Unlike some.
I also don't know what happens on the training ground, changing room or the BOD. Again some on here seem to assume they know these things.
So with all this in mind I find some peoples comments about sacking etc are quite unjust, I do understand the frustration that we are all going through especially was we were at the top until the New Year. I am as frustrated as the next county fan.
At times like this it is more important than ever to show unity of support for the players and manager. But I agree there is a point when things need to change.
As we are in a pretty comfortable league place position I would suggest that our our performance be monitored until the end of the season before any rash decisions are made.
Hopefully we can get some points against The Saddlers Wednesday night.

These are my opinions, they may not be everyone's cup of tea.

How about this for a radical idea since we don't seem able to attack at home on our pitch lets play like the away sides and park the bus with 9 in defence and and catch them on the break like they do to us. (Way to radical I know).
Up the County.

rncfc wrote:There's a group on Facebook with a poll in place on this subject, 10:1 in favour of him staying.

Reading this place you'd think the entire fan base wanted him out.

As ever, the vocal minority making out they speak for everyone. Empty vessels etc
I don't think that's correct. Firstly I have said I wouldn't sack Flynn now. So I'd be with the 10. However People are entitled to their view, The view that a manager who has only won one of the last twelve fixtures And that a 1-0 home win over the League's bottom side, should lose his job is hardly way out of kilter is it?

And calling people empty vessels and knicker wetters, simply because they hold a view you don't share is not in my view constructive.

Papski2 wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote: BBC match report quoting him on Radio Wales
So he didn't say what you posted?

I appreciate you clearing up the misrepresentation.
Mike Flynn's interview after the game
[youtube]X4re_QFm4M8[/youtube]

And let us not forget that every manager uses the tactic that the opposition is better 1. to motivate their own players. 2. to make other teams think that they are far better than any other team in that league. Granted not after the game as finished, but there was a reason why Mike Flynn said that. Lets just waited and see what happens at the season, shall we?

It's no different to running a business you give praise when needed and tell them what you think of them when things are not going so well.
Last edited by The Newport on February 22nd, 2021, 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jack wrote:I want my September Flynn-ball back, I have hope it'll return one day.

Absolutely bananas to want him sacked.
I was once banned for calling someone a fool for supporting some view or other I trust that in calling people 'absolutely bananas' for calling for a manager with one win in twelve to be sacked a suitable sanction will be levelled at this truly evil character? :grin:

. How many games did Feeney get? Or Butcher?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:My thoughts.

I would not sack Flynn. Firstly we should not overlook what he has achieved for the club. Secondly we are not going to be relegated this season so what would be the point? It is true I would have sacked him over the Lincoln debacle but as he wasn't sacked then I would not use that incident now.

What I would say to Michael Flynn is firstly that in light of the form the club are now showing that it is not the intention of Newport County to renew his contract. I would then say that he has until May to change our minds.

As always I would be interested in the views of others.

I always look forward to your Thoughts, there have been times that I agree and there are times that I don't agree, I would like to know why you are now mentioning the Linclon job "It is true I would have sacked him over the Lincoln debacle but as he wasn't sacked then I would not use that incident now." unless you have a motive. And I believe that you are trying to put negative thoughts in everyone's mind concerning the job offer. Let's be truthful I don't think that you like the Board of Director at do you. They have made some bad decisions and some good decisions. The good decisions at the moment outweigh the bad ones. I must say that I don't like them and that I couldn't work with them. But that's me I'm a hard person to work with.

My view is no I don't think that Mike Flynn should be sacked at this moment in time. From what I have seen I believe that he is a good manager in the making. If he was sacked that would be a big mistake on our part. Let him see out this season at least,18 games left. When the new pitch has been laid down in the summer lets give him 10 to 15 game next season.

The Newport wrote:

I would not sack Flynn. Firstly we should not overlook what he has achieved for the club. Secondly we are not going to be relegated this season so what would be the point? It is true I would have sacked him over the Lincoln debacle but as he wasn't sacked then I would not use that incident now.

What I would say to Michael Flynn is firstly that in light of the form the club are now showing that it is not the intention of Newport County to renew his contract. I would then say that he has until May to change our minds.

I always look forward to your Thoughts, there have been times that I agree and there are times that I don't agree, I would like to know why you are now mentioning the Linclon job "It is true I would have sacked him over the Lincoln debacle but as he wasn't sacked then I would not use that incident now." unless you have a motive. And I believe that you are trying to put negative thoughts in everyone's mind concerning the job offer. Let's be truthful I don't think that you like the Board of Director at do you. They have made some bad decisions and some good decisions. The good decisions at the moment outweigh the bad ones. I must say that I don't like them and that I couldn't work with them. But that's me I'm a hard person to work with.

My view is no I don't think that Mike Flynn should be sacked at this moment in time. From what I have seen I believe that he is a good manager in the making. If he was sacked that would be a big mistake on our part. Let him see out this season at least,18 games left. When the new pitch has been laid down in the summer lets give him 10 to 15 game next season.
Let me answer your two questions.

First of all my view is that Flynn should not be sacked. I used the Lincoln example of a time when I thought he should have been. I thought someone might be tempted to argue that I was hypocritical. My view once a situation is resolved whether I agree with it or not one has to move on.

As for not liking the board of directors. Probably a little harsh. I think they work hard and believe they believe that the job they are doing is a good one. My own view is that they are often arrogant and too self satisfied. But which of us is without flaws?

My main criticism of the board of today is the same criticism I have had of every board for the last twenty years. They lack the balls to tackle the one problem we have to overcome if we are ever to achieve our full potential. We all know what my view on this is. And until a single board member goes public and acknowledges that we have failed to deal with the problem of not having a fit for purpose stadium and states publicly that we have to face up to this I will continue to regard the board as spineless.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
The Newport wrote:

First of all my view is that Flynn should not be sacked. I used the Lincoln example of a time when I thought he should have been. I thought someone might be tempted to argue that I was hypocritical. My view once a situation is resolved whether I agree with it or not one has to move on.

As for not liking the board of directors. Probably a little harsh. I think they work hard and believe they believe that the job they are doing is a good one. My own view is that they are often arrogant and too self satisfied. But which of us is without flaws?

My main criticism of the board of today is the same criticism I have had of every board for the last twenty years. They lack the balls to tackle the one problem we have to overcome if we are ever to achieve our full potential. We all know what my view on this is. And until a single board member goes public and acknowledges that we have failed to deal with the problem of not having a fit for purpose stadium and states publicly that we have to face up to this I will continue to regard the board as spineless.

ok, you say that you don't want him sacked but would have sacked at the time of the Lincoln job rumor. I had to bring to your attention the Lincoln job that you mentioned.
I don't think that I'm being a bit harsh at all. Yes, I agree they do work hard but not hard enough In my eyes. At the end of the day Newport County is in the football business and It should be run like a business. Not someone pet project or to make someone look good (look at me). If I dislike someone I will tell them straight (as it is). If I don't agree with there methods again I will tell them. I would not do business with someone that I can not work with Especially someone who thinks that they are bigger than the business because at the end of the day business is business.
Yes, I agree with you also. I have had many talks with people concerning Newport County and they agree to go forward as a business you need a stadium to call your own. Without a stadium to call your own, you will not survive it would be the end of Newport County in the Football League. Back to the future 1989. Having to start all over again.

bigfan wrote:
Stow Hill Sid wrote:...
...;
c Apart from the great escape when did this happen previously
I would say that would be the last time that we completed a season - 2018/19.
August to October we were doing really well, November to mid-March was awful the he turned it around with an excellent run through until we lost the playoff final (12 matches unbeaten).
Last season we had just reached that mid-March turning point when the season was curtailed.
We are 3 weeks from it now.

Maybe unlikely but who knows?

The one thing I wish we would do, is stop publically saying how bad the pitch is and at least try and play football on it.

It's as though the management have convinced the players we can't pass the ball on the floor anymore, and that is impacting on away performances too now.

Just keep it on the deck but run with it more than passing it. We're losing most games anyway, at least try and make it entertaining.

Form will turn around. Does anyone seriously believe, based on Flynn's track record, that we will continue this bad run of form until May? You're deluded if you do.