Grandstand: Walsall v Exiles

Wednesday 24th February.
KO 17:30.

Walsall v Newport County.
Matches between both clubs go back as far as 1927. Since the clubs first meeting in 1927 / 1928 when they competed in the former Division Three South, the clubs have met on sixty six occasions for competitive matches. County have twenty-five wins while Walsall have twenty-three.

1979 / 1980:
Probably the most memorable game between both clubs came in season 1979 / 1980 in the old Division Four, todays League Two. The first game between the two saw Walsall beat County 1-0 at Somerton Park.
The final weekend of the season:
Walsall 2-4 Newport County.
A very large following of 6000+ County supporters to see County face Walsall at Fellows Park knowing that victory would guarantee promotion to Division Three. County were 2-0 ahead midway through the first half, both scored by John Aldridge. Player manager Alan Buckley reduced the deficit with a penalty before Dave Gwyther restored a two goal lead for County before half time. Very early in the second half, Don Penn reduced the deficit to a single goal with a low shot inside the box. Tommy Tynan headed a fourth for County, a lead they held, winning 4-2.
County were back in Division Three for the first time in eighteen years. With Walsall also gaining promotion as champions, both clubs competed against each other in Division Three for the next seven seasons.

2017 / 2018:
FA Cup Round One.
Newport County 2-1 Walsall.
Frank Nouble put County ahead on eighteen minutes against their opponents who were one tier above County at the time. Shawn McCoulsky double the lead in the first minute of the second half. Amadou Bakayoko got one back for Walsall with around fourteen minutes remaining but County held on for victory that would eventually see them reach Round Four.

2019 / 2020:
Walsall 0-0 Newport County.
A dull goalless draw with few chances created by either side and only two shots on target. County were unbeaten in their opening four league games.

Newport County 0-0 Walsall.
After this goalless draw, both side remained mid table.

2020 / 2021:
Newport County 1-1 Walsall.
Elijah Adebayo put the Saddlers in front on twenty one minutes, two minutes before Scott Twine leveled. County were now three points clear at the top after thirteen games.

Managers:
Newport County - Mike Flynn.
Walsall - Brian Dutton.

Head to head:

Of the three occasions both managers have met as opposing managers, Brian Dutton was assistant manager of Walsall before becoming their head coach in February 2021.
Mike Flynn 0
Brian Dutton 0
Draws 3

Some of the players past / present who've had connections with both Newport County and Walsall:
Kevin Cooper
Paul Hall
Karl Darlow
George Johnston
Ian McLoughlin
Aaron Williams
Will Randall
Ian Turner
Cameron Pring
Neil Davis
Roy John
George Nurse
Emmanuel Osadebe
Jake Scrimshaw

1. Walsall have not scored more than once in any of their latest five L2 matches at the Bescot Stadium.
2. Walsall have conceded at least one goal during their latest nine L2 matches at the Bescot Stadium.
3. In fifteen L2 matches at the Bescot Stadium this season thus far, only three occasions have the visitors failed to score.
4. In fifteen L2 matches at the Bescot Stadium this season thus far, the visitors have been victorious on five occasions.
5. In fifteen L2 matches at the Bescot Stadium this season thus far, only once have Walsall won a game after the visitors scored first.
6. In fifteen L2 matches at the Bescot Stadium this season thus far, only once have Walsall lost a game after leading 1-0.
7. In fourteen L2 matches played away this season, County have scored at least once during all of them.
8. In fourteen L2 matches played away this season, County have scored the games first goal in eleven of them. 
9. County have not won any of their latest six L2 matches away.
10. A player of either side has been sent off during three of County's latest four L2 matches away.
11. Both County and Walsall have gained only seven points each from their latest nine L2 matches.
12. Since their memorable 4-2  victory at Walsall in 1980, County have failed to win any of eight visits to Walsall since, seven at Fellows Park and one at the Bescot Stadium.

Re: Grandstand: Walsall v Exiles

RedandAmber wrote:Don't want to think about it ..... Cant ever remember such a huge deterioration in a team .
Love him for what he's done for us but 90%+ of clubs would have parted ways with the manager by now .

Have you forgotten we are Newport County and our board of director are not copy cats? We are not like any other club? We do things a lot differently here. And before anyone says anything I back Mike Flynn 100 per cent. But I must admit, I am slightly worried, that we will drop down a few more places, in the league, before the end of the season. I remember the game at Walsall in 1979/80 season quite well what game that was and what a day.

The Newport wrote:
RedandAmber wrote:Don't want to think about it ..... Cant ever remember such a huge deterioration in a team .
Love him for what he's done for us but 90%+ of clubs would have parted ways with the manager by now .

Have you forgotten we are Newport County and our board of director are not copy cats? We are not like any other club? We do things a lot differently here. And before anyone says anything I back Mike Flynn 100 per cent. But I must admit, I am slightly worried, that we will drop down a few more places, in the league, before the end of the season. I remember the game at Walsall in 1979/80 season quite well what game that was and what a day.
I also remember 1982/83,when it was Walsall against Mark Kendall.Everyone else were pathetic,was it promotion nerves or had the League told us that Somerton wasn't up to standard so we couldn't go up.Have they told us RP isn't up to it,what has caused this slump,promotion jitters again.

Great stats as usual Reebok. Just one thing I disagree with. You say that the 1980 game at Walsall was probably the most memorable game between the two sides. It was definitely the most memorable game. In fact in my opinion it was the most memorable EFL game of all time. The 2 great escape games against Workington and Notts County are close behind.

Blackandamber wrote:Great stats as usual Reebok. Just one thing I disagree with. You say that the 1980 game at Walsall was probably the most memorable game between the two sides. It was definitely the most memorable game. In fact in my opinion it was the most memorable EFL game of all time. The 2 great escape games against Workington and Notts County are close behind.
I'd agree.

The only thing about the Workington game which is now often forgotten is that we only needed a draw to avoid re-election and in any event would have been re-elected anyway. I remember Bob Wilson, a mate of Colin Addison's saying on either the Big Match or Match of the day, that whilst our great run meant we'd be re-elected he was confident that we would avoid finishing in the bottom four.

I've been speaking to a Bradford fan who says that he would have taken Flynn over their recent appointments in a heartbeat.
(grass is always greener ?)