Re: The Great promotion bid.

neilcork68 wrote:Its the year 2045, Its February.
Scott Twine and Brandon Coopers sons have played for us up to the January transfer window but been recalled by their parent clubs.
We are sitting in 12th position in the league , six points off the play offs after being 8 points clear at Christmas.
We have just lost our 10th consecutive game on the run and this board is still full of posters saying ''GIVE HIM A CHANCE '', ''HE WILL DO IT NEXT YEAR''
''He saved us from the drop in 2016 / 17 season and had a few cup runs and made us some money''

By the way the pitch is still crap at RP because the WRU havent replaced it since the dark old days of the pandemic of 2020.They just bought a bag of hard wearing grass seed that they planted in June in hope that wold solve the problem

By the way Ellison is still playing
As long as we have continued to play in the football league in the meantime, I believe many fans would take that offer. I know a few who would bite your hand off for it.

Scott Twine and Brandon Coopers sons have played for us up to the January transfer window but been recalled by their parent clubs.
We are sitting in 12th position in the league , six points off the play offs after being 8 points clear at Christmas.
We have just lost our 10th consecutive game on the run and this board is still full of posters saying ''GIVE HIM A CHANCE '', ''HE WILL DO IT NEXT YEAR''
''He saved us from the drop in 2016 / 17 season and had a few cup runs and made us some money''

By the way the pitch is still crap at RP because the WRU havent replaced it since the dark old days of the pandemic of 2020.They just bought a bag of hard wearing grass seed that they planted in June in hope that wold solve the problem

Don't threaten me with a good time.

32 years of league football following a 25 year absence.

Sounds like we signed a favourable lease at RP.

Top at Christmas.

I'm going to assume our cup run derailed our season but we drew Manchester United away in the 5th round banking a couple of million along the way.

Papski2 Jr bangs in 30 goals. 15 assists by Ellison.

Where do I sign?

supporter wrote:Well we achieved the great escape when we were given no chance, we defied the odds in 18/19 when everyone wrote us off put a 12 match unbeaten run together and made the playoffs so why can't we pull off the great promotion bid.

We're in the strongest position out of all these 3 scenarios and we have a management team and half a dressing room that have done this twice before.

So why not, we've got Amber in the blood we're newport county and we've proved on many occasions that we will fight till the end.
Without doubt you are by a clear mile the most positive contributor on this forum.
Cannot remember you ever having a negative post since Flynny took over.
Genuinely wish I could feel the same way.

Melling's equaliser wrote:Well this is a thread that's put a smile on my face.

I'm looking forward to the Walsall game tomorrow now. :grin:

5.30PM KO folks, says the bloke who almost missed Sunday's game as he thought that it was a 3PM KO!
whoops like you nearly missed Sunday as well as you.

Blackandamber wrote:
supporter wrote:Well we achieved the great escape when we were given no chance, we defied the odds in 18/19 when everyone wrote us off put a 12 match unbeaten run together and made the playoffs so why can't we pull off the great promotion bid.

We're in the strongest position out of all these 3 scenarios and we have a management team and half a dressing room that have done this twice before.

So why not, we've got Amber in the blood we're newport county and we've proved on many occasions that we will fight till the end.
That's the spirit!
a few prayers at bedtime maybe?

Brilliant brilliant been smiling non stop since I read that.

Huge clap from me. Great fun.

5.30PM KO folks, says the bloke who almost missed Sunday's game as he thought that it was a 3PM KO!
Remember the day that 1000's travelled to Walsall for the promotion match. What a great day and atmosphere. Would love to feel that again.

Bristolexile wrote:

Remember the day that 1000's travelled to Walsall for the promotion match. What a great day and atmosphere. Would love to feel that again.
I was in the second year at Liverpool Poly. Remember the day so well. Bumped into a crowd of Pompy fans at Lime St. They were at Uni at Aston. Looking forward to getting back to halls where also resided a Bradford City fan. Invited me to join them to take the p1ss. I declined.

Oddly I remember being quite deflated that night. Don't ask me why. I suspect coming down off a high.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
JonD wrote:I'm actually not that bothered about promotion and all that it might bring. I just want us to be in the mix. No matter how perverse it might seem I'd be perfectly happy losing in the play-offs every year for the rest of my days.

Weird, aren't I? :)
I can empathise with this. I’d love us to go up and play in the third division, but I’m equally happy to just have a local fan-owned club, run sustainably, playing league football (even if it’s in the fourth division) in a ground with character and terraces near good watering holes, and having semi-regular thrilling cup runs. Promotion would be lovely - but the higher you go, the further you get from the things that make football enjoyable.
Just about sums up my position too. Until money comes from somewhere L1 would be a struggle.
In the old days I was always deliriously happy with halfway. Played 46 points 46. Whatever the present equivalent of that happens to be 50 odd points will do me just fine, as long as we stay up comfortably. I’m really concerned by this run of results.

lowandhard wrote:
Kairdiff Exile wrote:
JonD wrote:I'm actually not that bothered about promotion and all that it might bring. I just want us to be in the mix. No matter how perverse it might seem I'd be perfectly happy losing in the play-offs every year for the rest of my days.

I can empathise with this. I’d love us to go up and play in the third division, but I’m equally happy to just have a local fan-owned club, run sustainably, playing league football (even if it’s in the fourth division) in a ground with character and terraces near good watering holes, and having semi-regular thrilling cup runs. Promotion would be lovely - but the higher you go, the further you get from the things that make football enjoyable.
Just about sums up my position too. Until money comes from somewhere L1 would be a struggle.
In the old days I was always deliriously happy with halfway. Played 46 points 46. Whatever the present equivalent of that happens to be 50 odd points will do me just fine, as long as we stay up comfortably. I’m really concerned by this run of results.
I've been watching football for 55 years. In that time Liverpool, Everton and Arsenal are the only teams I can remember never having been relegated. (Not counting lower league newcomers.)

Following on from this Newport County sooner or later will be relegated. If we are able to secure a promotion first then we'll be relegated to League 2. If we don't win promotion first it's back to non league. Newport is the 27th largest conurbation in the UK. I don't think we need concern ourselves with teams from Belfast, Edinburgh or Glasgow.

There is no reason why a city the size of Newport shouldn't target Championship football. In terms of size of conurbation Newport lies between Preston 26th and Swansea 28th. Teams like that are whom we should be aspiring to emulate.

lowandhard wrote:
Kairdiff Exile wrote:

As long as we remain in League 2 we will always be flirting with relegation back into Non League. In years gone by the number of times the County had to reapply for re-election was almost a standing joke, now of course the trap door simply opens.

Unfortunately the WRU and Dragons, along with their demonstrated willingness to prostitute themselves to any potential payer for use of the pitch, are bedfellows who will always serve to hamper progress. That’s why we need to be the masters of our own destiny, but that requires vision and leadership, both ingredients that are presently sadly missing. Wimbledon have done it, why not us?

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
Bristolexile wrote:

I was in the second year at Liverpool Poly. Remember the day so well. Bumped into a crowd of Pompy fans at Lime St. They were at Uni at Aston. Looking forward to getting back to halls where also resided a Bradford City fan. Invited me to join them to take the p1ss. I declined.

Oddly I remember being quite deflated that night. Don't ask me why. I suspect coming down off a high.

Yes Bristolexile I remember it well, and all the celebrations back in the 'Port afterwards.

I also have vivid memories of Rochdale the previous Tuesday and I've disliked George Courtenay ever since!