Newport Rugby

Good to see that Cardiff Blues are reverting back to their traditional blue and black colours and losing the Blues tag. Will be Cardiff Rugby from 2021/22 season onwards.
Let’s hope Buttress has the gumption to do likewise. No reason why three can’t now become two.

Re: Newport Rugby

Perfect scenario would be newport rugby be the main identity of the rugby again with a semi-pro set up playing elsewhere leaving newport county and newport rugby the only two professional sides on the pitch better for us and I'm sure newport rugby supporters would be overjoyed.

Mrp wrote:Perfect scenario would be newport rugby be the main identity of the rugby again with a semi-pro set up playing elsewhere leaving newport county and newport rugby the only two professional sides on the pitch better for us and I'm sure newport rugby supporters would be overjoyed.
Agreed. Getting rid of the Dragons name, returning to Newport RFC / Rugby and playing in black and amber is the only show in town rugbywise. For the best part of 20 years it has been clear that there is no interest in or support for the Dragons. The only way to attract any sort of meaningful investment commercially is for a team with an identity, which has potential for supporter growth. It could be a return to the old days with Newport RFC semi-pro team becoming Newport United (reserves XV) and sourcing a ground-share elsewhere in Newport. I would think most die-hard Newport RFC supporters would get on board with this and get behind the new Newport Rugby.
Opens the door for County to ground share RP on a long lease basis and the installation of a fit for purpose pitch. All hinges on the Dragons / Newport Rugby issue so let's hope Buttress is up to the job. He talks the talk, now is the time to walk the walk.

George Street-Bridge wrote:The Blues' move leaves the Dragons looking a bit foolish for having abandoned the name Newport.

I haven't driven past there for several years, but how developed is the Saracens' ground in Maesglas?
Its not. Just a few containers bolted together but could be developed into a ground to accommodate Newport "United" RFC.

If the Dragons became Newport it wouldn't necessarily be Newport RFC - as the (current) Blues becoming Cardiff will still have Cardiff RFC playing in the Welsh Prem league. The participation in this league still has ground criteria and I don't think there is another ground in Newport that fulfils this criteria. Therefore there may still be two rugby teams playing from RP in the future? If the WRU said that the Ospreys will become Swansea, Dragons - Newport, Cardiff - RFC, Scarlets - Llanelli and lose their teams in teh Welsh premier that may help but that is a whole new argument!

Willthiswork wrote:If the Dragons became Newport it wouldn't necessarily be Newport RFC - as the (current) Blues becoming Cardiff will still have Cardiff RFC playing in the Welsh Prem league. The participation in this league still has ground criteria and I don't think there is another ground in Newport that fulfils this criteria. Therefore there may still be two rugby teams playing from RP in the future? If the WRU said that the Ospreys will become Swansea, Dragons - Newport, Cardiff - RFC, Scarlets - Llanelli and lose their teams in teh Welsh premier that may help but that is a whole new argument!
Newport RFC would still exist in the Welsh Premier Division and there is no need to lose them as a feeder for Newport Rugby. True there isn't another ground in Newport meeting the stadium criteria but in fairness if you look at other "stadiums" in that league it wouldn't take much. Some combined forward thinking between WRU, Newport City Council, Dragons and Newport RFC should be able to develop let's say Newport Saracens' ground - artificial surface, modest covered stand etc. No need for a clubhouse as such, initially anyway, as RP could be used.

George Street-Bridge wrote:The snag with the Ospreys becoming Swansea because they play there is Neath went into the joint venture with equal status.
The Ospreys very nearly went out of business a couple of years ago prompting talk of a merger with the Scarlets. Neath man Mike Cuddy put the money into the Ospreys initially which kept them afloat. They have new investors now I believe.