Re: County to play at Cardiff

excessbee wrote:Now that Dragons/WRU have shown willing, perhaps it's a good time to see if the EFL and Cardiff City might allow us an extended period. This might encourage something similar from the Dragons and an early start to replacing the playing surface. The last thing we want is a month of away fixtures in August.

While we're at it why not pull on blue shirts and call ourselves Cardiff City b.

Stan A. Einstein wrote:
excessbee wrote:Now that Dragons/WRU have shown willing, perhaps it's a good time to see if the EFL and Cardiff City might allow us an extended period. This might encourage something similar from the Dragons and an early start to replacing the playing surface. The last thing we want is a month of away fixtures in August.

While we're at it why not pull on blue shirts and call ourselves Cardiff City b.
It's not as if we fans are going to be dragged through the turnstiles. It's about making the best of a bad job (the state of the pitch).

excessbee wrote:
Stan A. Einstein wrote:

It's not as if we fans are going to be dragged through the turnstiles. It's about making the best of a bad job (the state of the pitch).
Yes I agree.

And if the WRU don't want us I'm sure we'll share with Cardiff until we go bust.

This is the thing. We do have no option but to share with Cardiff. It was the only move open to us because of the mess we found ourselves in.

But it really does show that we need to address the stadium problem. It has inflicted damage for 25 years and one day if we don't deal with it, it will kill us.

excessbee wrote:Well, this season was always going to be a year too much for the pitch. If it wasn't for the pandemic seeing off the planned replacement we wouldn't be discussing a temporary move to Cardiff.
If it wasn't for. If pots and pans.

Point is the pitch we play on and the stadium we play in are both outside of our control.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:All of which means the pitch gets a 2 week rest from now or a 3 week one, if the County's game against Scunthorpe is put back due to international call ups. Whilst every little bit helps I suppose, surely only a minor improvement could be expected.
Exactly.

Frankly if you drive an old banger, putting it in the garage for two or three weeks isn't going to give you a pristine BMW is it?

Where I genuinely despair is that problems with unsuitable stadiums and pitches has been a reoccurring theme for the last 25 years. It needs to be dealt with. After the best part of 20 years hammering on about it, finally it seems the overwhelming majority on this board get that. The more that message is conveyed to the directors of Newport County the better the chance that one of them will finally and publicly express that which we all know.

Then the work begins.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:As things stand they can't start until after the Dragons are out of Europe, some time in April. Presumably re-laying a hybrid pitch is less complicated than installing one from scratch.
Don’t forget the additional home games in the Rainbow cup
Haven't Swansea relaid their pitch this season with only a 2 week window before the new one was played on. Sure I have heard of others doing so in the past.

OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
George Street-Bridge wrote:As things stand they can't start until after the Dragons are out of Europe, some time in April. Presumably re-laying a hybrid pitch is less complicated than installing one from scratch.
Haven't Swansea relaid their pitch this season with only a 2 week window before the new one was played on. Sure I have heard of others doing so in the past.
Although they probably have more cash than us and have got half a season's use out of it. I think tens or hundreds of thousands spent on laying turf on a pitch which needs complete refurbishment just for a handful of games in just not economically possible for us or the dragons. It will have to be a case of make do and mend until they can do the full pitch refurb which I would guess is a 6-8 week job.

Collars wrote:
OLDCROMWELLIAN wrote:
Although they probably have more cash than us and have got half a season's use out of it. I think tens or hundreds of thousands spent on laying turf on a pitch which needs complete refurbishment just for a handful of games in just not economically possible for us or the dragons. It will have to be a case of make do and mend until they can do the full pitch refurb which I would guess is a 6-8 week job.
The Rainbow Cup final is on 19 June and football season starts on 7 August so a 7 week window. Granted the Rainbow Cup final is unlikely to be held at RP and there is also little chance of the Dragons getting anywhere near a final but you never know.