Re: Grand National

I had a £10 E/W bet on Secret Reprieve a while back at 22/1 mainly because I know and follow the trainer Evan Williams
It won me a nice few quid when it won the Welsh Grand National earlier in the year so it owes me nothing.
I wouldn't put anyone off betting Any Second Now as I think it has a good chance.
Favourite Cloth Cap is too short priced I think but might be too good for these if it jumps well

It’ll be no throwing darts at a paper printout or picking numbers out of a hat for me. I’m not an expert but I have my own method that hasn’t let me down in the National many times over the years as long as I go each way.

After wasting an hour of my life yesterday evening I have whittled the field down to 8. Got to get that down to 3 selections in the next few days. Then it’ll be a bet something like Llanwern Exile x3 £2 ew.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:I never understand people's obsession with the Grand National. 40-odd hoses over jumps across four miles - you'd have more chance of picking the right lottery numbers than choosing a winner from that lot.
I never understand people’s obsession with football (mine included). 22 grown men or women running around a grass field separated by two goalposts kicking a piece of inflated leather. You’d have more chance of picking the right lottery numbers than choosing a winner from that lot.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:I never understand people's obsession with the Grand National. 40-odd hoses over jumps across four miles - you'd have more chance of picking the right lottery numbers than choosing a winner from that lot.

Really? I have picked the winner the last three times.....haven't won a penny on the lottery in bloody years.

pembsexile wrote:
I never understand people’s obsession with football (mine included). 22 grown men or women running around a grass field separated by two goalposts kicking a piece of inflated leather. You’d have more chance of picking the right lottery numbers than choosing a winner from that lot.
Very droll. I suppose the difference is that gambling is incidental to football. My point really is that if you want to make money by gambling, the National is one of the least efficient ways of doing it and yet is the race on which the most people have a bet.

Kairdiff Exile wrote:
pembsexile wrote:
Very droll. I suppose the difference is that gambling is incidental to football. My point really is that if you want to make money by gambling, the National is one of the least efficient ways of doing it and yet is the race on which the most people have a bet.
Most normal people do not look to get rich on the Grand National. I certainly don’t. That is for the professional punters. I like the enjoyment and trying to pick a winner. I try to do this every week with the County. I do it for enjoyment, not to get rich.

As for being the least efficient, there are 40 runners in the National, the lottery is exactly that, a lottery. Pure unadulterated chance. The National is not. At least there is some element of skill, form, experience and planning.

Still 68 runners hoping to enter. It has to be reduced to 40 by tomorrow.

Secret Reprieve one of the favourites is still only the third reserve. Four under number 40 have to withdraw for him to enter. He is number 43. Could be tricky.

A great weekend for the punters. Normal football, then the National but the Masters golf starts today. Bring it on. :cheers:

Good Evening

I like a little bet on the horses, nothing serious.
The Grand National is one event I break my normal limits for. It has a terrific build up and atmosphere ( normally). I organise a big family sweepstake, ( selling eighty tickets at £2 each, each horse sold twice)

I go by gut instinct and a bit of awareness, but don’t study any form as such.

My e-mail address actually features a National winner from 2001, on which I had a really big win.

Anyway I’m going for Bristol de Mai. That’s one of two, second still undecided at present!

Phil in Northampton