Re: Cup windfalls

CathedralCounty wrote: January 13th, 2024, 8:01 pm
rncfc wrote: January 13th, 2024, 6:36 pm
Free beer wrote: January 13th, 2024, 5:30 pm I don't think that you can pay dividends when a company has an accumulated loss. Our loss to date is £390k, I believe, plus the loss for the last year.
If you have cash in the bank, you 100% can pay a dividend to shareholders.
Trust members are not, as I understand it, “shareholders” per se yes they have/had a say in how club is run but are not entitled to any dividends.
I am aware of that. The dividend would be paid to the Supporters Trust as an entity, not to the trust members. Rather than giving away a club for £0 which is sitting on a newly found £1,000,000 in cash.

CathedralCounty wrote: January 13th, 2024, 7:58 pm
countymadbel wrote: January 13th, 2024, 4:37 pm
rncfc wrote: January 13th, 2024, 3:24 pm Assuming we do win on Tuesday which is obviously not a given, how will this affect the takeover?

I have been sceptical about things for a while. The time taken to complete and the fact we're still in the cup. Will it fall through if the financial gap is plugged for a few years?

If not, and the takeover does still go ahead, what happens to the unexpected income? Will it remain in the club or, as the terms have already been agreed, will the extra cash be drawn back into the trust as - for example - a dividend to shareholders, and used to fund the trust's obligations for the next few years?
It's Huws money as he owns the club
Nope it’s the clubs money and if Huw is dipping into club funds (and I want to stress there is absolutely no suggestion he is or will expect to be) that would be at best iffy at worse fraud or embezzlement.

“Owning” a business does not mean you can dip your hand in the till-that way lies ruin.
Sorry, but that's nonsense. If you own a business as a majority shareholder, and the business is sitting on surplus cash, any business in any walk of life, is highly likely to be paying dividends to its shareholders. It's the reward you get for the risks you take.

Football clubs might be slightly different, especially ours which needs reinvestment rather than extraction of profit, but this is why the original question is so valid.

Free beer wrote: January 13th, 2024, 7:20 pm
Free beer wrote: January 13th, 2024, 5:30 pm I don't think that you can pay dividends when a company has an accumulated loss. Our loss to date is £390k, I believe, plus the loss for the last year.
Having cash is only one of the criteria. I stand by my original point.
Fair enough, you may well be right. I'm sure creative accounting could change that though, we've already recreated financial history on a couple of occasions. With cash to play with, I'm sure it would be simple enough to do again.

rncfc wrote: January 15th, 2024, 9:43 am
rncfc wrote: January 13th, 2024, 3:24 pm Assuming we do win on Tuesday which is obviously not a given, how will this affect the takeover?

I have been sceptical about things for a while. The time taken to complete and the fact we're still in the cup. Will it fall through if the financial gap is plugged for a few years?

If not, and the takeover does still go ahead, what happens to the unexpected income? Will it remain in the club or, as the terms have already been agreed, will the extra cash be drawn back into the trust as - for example - a dividend to shareholders, and used to fund the trust's obligations for the next few years?
Nope it’s the clubs money and if Huw is dipping into club funds (and I want to stress there is absolutely no suggestion he is or will expect to be) that would be at best iffy at worse fraud or embezzlement.

“Owning” a business does not mean you can dip your hand in the till-that way lies ruin.
Sorry, but that's nonsense. If you own a business as a majority shareholder, and the business is sitting on surplus cash, any business in any walk of life, is highly likely to be paying dividends to its shareholders. It's the reward you get for the risks you take.

Football clubs might be slightly different, especially ours which needs reinvestment rather than extraction of profit, but this is why the original question is so valid.
Many businesses re invest profits and don't pay dividends especially if they don't have shareholders and HJ won't be dipping his fingers into the till any time soon - if he wanted to make a quick buck he'd have bought a load of holiday lets!

As for the '£1 million' being quoted by some - even IF we do play Man Utd - we won't clear anywhere near that amount after costs.

Why not? The accumulated losses will be covered by borrowing. If you then in a future year pay the interest on that borrowing and make a profit, what is to stop you paying a dividend if that is what you want to do?

Some of the water companies have paid dividends down the years by borrowing against the assets they "inherited" when the companies were set up and effectively handing out that borrowed money as dividends, some of them while making an operational loss.

CathedralCounty wrote: January 15th, 2024, 10:00 am

Many businesses re invest profits and don't pay dividends especially if they don't have shareholders and HJ won't be dipping his fingers into the till any time soon - if he wanted to make a quick buck he'd have bought a load of holiday lets!

As for the '£1 million' being quoted by some - even IF we do play Man Utd - we won't clear anywhere near that amount after costs.
I'm fairly confident HJ will be reinvesting into the club too, I'm not trying to suggest anything unethical on his part. I'm just saying that the suggestion of fraud for paying a dividend from a football club's profits is laughable.

rncfc wrote: January 15th, 2024, 10:52 am

I'm fairly confident HJ will be reinvesting into the club too, I'm not trying to suggest anything unethical on his part. I'm just saying that the suggestion of fraud for paying a dividend from a football club's profits is laughable.
Cross purposes I think - I was talking about an owner (a single owner or family) 'taking out' money - as opposed to a dividend per se - 'fraud' may have been a poor chose of words but it would not be a case of saying - 'oooh FA cup prize money - I'll have a bit of that please I need it for my new range rover' - at best it'd be poor business sense at worst potentially iffy - my point is that 'owning' a business (and I don't mean selling a few bits on ebay I mean a proper legit business employing people and VAT registered, etc) even outright doesn't mean that person(s) can help themselves.

HJ certainly won't be doing it.

CathedralCounty wrote: January 15th, 2024, 11:41 am
rncfc wrote: January 15th, 2024, 10:52 am

Cross purposes I think - I was talking about an owner (a single owner or family) 'taking out' money - as opposed to a dividend per se - 'fraud' may have been a poor chose of words but it would not be a case of saying - 'oooh FA cup prize money - I'll have a bit of that please I need it for my new range rover' - at best it'd be poor business sense at worst potentially iffy - my point is that 'owning' a business (and I don't mean selling a few bits on ebay I mean a proper legit business employing people and VAT registered, etc) even outright doesn't mean that person(s) can help themselves.

HJ certainly won't be doing it.
Agreed.

You can only pay dividends if you have distributable reserves available irrespective of your cash position

The cup run to date and certainly if we beat Eastleigh prize money and TV money will go a long way to filling the black hole created by the Trust and their lack of management skill.
The take over was required to secure competent management but also a party able to finance the loss and keep the lights on. The question now is that the money required to keep the lights on is reduced from the cup run, will HJ still commit the same cash, allowing the windfall to increase player budget / infra structure improvements or maintain the same budget approach and so his investment requirement will be less?

County ranger wrote: January 15th, 2024, 2:09 pm The cup run to date and certainly if we beat Eastleigh prize money and TV money will go a long way to filling the black hole created by the Trust and their lack of management skill.
The take over was required to secure competent management but also a party able to finance the loss and keep the lights on. The question now is that the money required to keep the lights on is reduced from the cup run, will HJ still commit the same cash, allowing the windfall to increase player budget / infra structure improvements or maintain the same budget approach and so his investment requirement will be less?
Presumably the terms (the £500K) remain the same and the cup 'windfall' (IF we end up playing Man Utd) is moot albeit a huge positive.

CathedralCounty wrote: January 15th, 2024, 2:18 pm
County ranger wrote: January 15th, 2024, 2:09 pm The cup run to date and certainly if we beat Eastleigh prize money and TV money will go a long way to filling the black hole created by the Trust and their lack of management skill.
Presumably the terms (the £500K) remain the same and the cup 'windfall' (IF we end up playing Man Utd) is moot albeit a huge positive.
If there's unexpected(unbudgeted) monies flowing prior to and immediately after the handover then HJ can do the Hokey Kokey -

You put your pledge money in,
Your pledge money out,
In, out, in out.
Shake it all about.
You sell your better players
And you buy in dross
And that's what it's all about.

Oh wanky wanky County

whoareya wrote: January 15th, 2024, 2:31 pm
CathedralCounty wrote: January 15th, 2024, 2:18 pm
If there's unexpected(unbudgeted) monies flowing prior to and immediately after the handover then HJ can do the Hokey Kokey -

You put your pledge money in,
Your pledge money out,
In, out, in out.
Shake it all about.
You sell your better players
And you buy in dross
And that's what it's all about.

Oh wanky wanky County
He could but he won't - love that tune btw! - now singing around the house - Mrs Cathedral who is already considering having me committed, now thinks I'm even more bonkers.