Enhanced Games.

Just read all about this on BBC sports app
WTF?
Performance enhancing drugs accepted...can't get my head around this one.
Can't understand why it makes the main story on BBC sport either!
Not sure what message it sends out to athletics world
Thoughts anyone?

Re: Enhanced Games.

mad norm wrote: February 9th, 2024, 4:19 pm Just read all about this on BBC sports app
WTF?
Thoughts anyone?
I don’t get why “performance enhancing drugs” are so taboo, no different to getting an edge with the latest equipment, medical support or training methods which is why GB cycling got all the medals it did in the past decade.

My only proviso would be that such drugs are not otherwise illegal and do not alter the hormonal make up the athlete (which would discount most of these drugs in any case).

CathedralCounty wrote: February 10th, 2024, 9:24 am
mad norm wrote: February 9th, 2024, 4:19 pm Just read all about this on BBC sports app
WTF?
Thoughts anyone?
I don’t get why “performance enhancing drugs” are so taboo, no different to getting an edge with the latest equipment, medical support or training methods which is why GB cycling got all the medals it did in the past decade.

My only proviso would be that such drugs are not otherwise illegal and do not alter the hormonal make up the athlete (which would discount most of these drugs in any case).

You don’t get why performance enhancing drugs are taboo ? Even in combat sports? If that’s the case, you’re a complete tool.

Exile 1976 wrote: February 10th, 2024, 11:12 am
WTF?
Thoughts anyone?

You don’t get why performance enhancing drugs are taboo ? Even in combat sports? If that’s the case, you’re a complete tool.

I agree with Cathedral on this.....The ' athletes taking part ' are doing so in the knowledge that other athletes in the same games will be taking them too so its up to them to face the consequences of their actions.
Enhancing drugged athletes taking part against athletes who aren't taking the same drugs / supplements. that a whole different argument / conversation and a NO NO.

WTF?
Thoughts anyone?

Been called far worse!

To clarify I meant obviously that everyone would be aware certain substances would be being taken…I perhaps should have phrased any more taboo than…my point was as with lots in life we have an odd and hypocritical moral compass-nobody cares about the Tibetan swimmers with limited access to training facilities who will never have their true potential realised compared to [say] the Australian kid who has a 50 metre pool at their state high school and yet we’re up in arms when someone takes a cough mixture on a banned substances list (again I wouldn’t allow hormones or steroids as both are potentially harmful)…in fact relatively cheap [currently banned] substances could make sport fairer for less well funded Olympic nations.

neilcork68 wrote: February 10th, 2024, 1:32 pm
WTF?
Thoughts anyone?

I agree with Cathedral on this.....The ' athletes taking part ' are doing so in the knowledge that other athletes in the same games will be taking them too so its up to them to face the consequences of their actions.
Enhancing drugged athletes taking part against athletes who aren't taking the same drugs / supplements. that a whole different argument / conversation and a NO NO.

No problem with druggies v druggies in athletics, swimming etc…. Combat sports ? Absolutely not. Way too dangerous

Exile 1976 wrote: February 10th, 2024, 6:21 pm
neilcork68 wrote: February 10th, 2024, 1:32 pm
WTF?
Thoughts anyone?

No problem with druggies v druggies in athletics, swimming etc…. Combat sports ? Absolutely not. Way too dangerous
If they want to take enhancement in the form of drugs , supplements, etc and compete against fellow ( imo) idiots to do so then who are we to question their morals. However we feel about whether it's right or wrong ?
As it says , they are / will participate in Enhancement games. Let them do so and face any consequences by doing so if they get injured .
Too much NANNY STATE in this modern world.

As in the swimmers example where he wants to break the world record by swimming ' enhanced' . If he gets the record it will not be recognised by they world of CLEAN sport.

Just a thought to ponder.

Cup of coffee to kickstart a day. Is a performance enhancing drug. As of course is taking steroids to make you train longer and harder. Clearly both are at the extreme. Nobody would seriously suggest that steroid abuse shouldn't disqualify. Nobody would seriously suggest that a cup of coffee should disqualify.
But where do you draw the line?

I think where the athletics is concerned, PEDs should be accepted to an extent. Impossible to police clearly, and at least you'd get a level playing field then.

Do you want to see someone run the 100m in 10 seconds, or see them run it in 3.5 seconds before disappearing into a wormhole at the finish line. I know which I'd find more entertaining.