Re: Grandstand: Newport County A.F.C vs Mansfield Town F.C.

Mansfield were the better team, but it was annoying that the game was eventually only lost because of a terrible decision by the referee. How can he deem that mere possession of the ball inside our half and tight to the touchline constitutes a worthwhile advantage. Mansfield had plenty of defensive cover and thus recovered the ball and set up their goal. To make matters worse, after they scored he booked the player who had committed the foul. If it was deserving of a yellow card then surely it was worthy of a free kick in the first place.

excessbee wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 6:13 pm Mansfield were the better team, but it was annoying that the game was eventually only lost because of a terrible decision by the referee. How can he deem that mere possession of the ball inside our half and tight to the touchline constitutes a worthwhile advantage. Mansfield had plenty of defensive cover and thus recovered the ball and set up their goal. To make matters worse, after they scored he booked the player who had committed the foul. If it was deserving of a yellow card then surely it was worthy of a free kick in the first place.
I though only a yellow card was lenient but he had zero grasp of what constitutes an advantage all match. A prime example in the first half when Evans(?) was fouled in the D, our resultant immediate shot was blocked wide, he has signaled advantage yet gave the corner rather than coming back for the free kick inside the D, I know which I would have preferred as a player. The word advantage should mean something but so often not today.

Having said that, we wouldn't have scored today given another 90 minutes unless he'd given either of the 2 big penalty shouts.

Well we gave it a go but ultimately lost to the better side : we hardly laid a glove on them. Evans and P-H largely ineffective. Zanzala looked lively when he came on but their defence is pretty rock solid.
Agree with the remarks about the referee, he seemed determined to give us absolutely nothing. Wasted a lot of attacking possession on the right because their backs were very good at neutralising Payne. It looked inevitable to me at ht that they’d snatch the winner and sadly that’s exactly what happened. Can’t see Mansfailed failing this season, they look nailed on.

Chepstow'sFine wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 9:18 pm Jameson came off with about 15-20 to go. Is that an injury do you think or precautionary given his lack of game time having come back from an injury? Agree with Amberexile, zero shots on goal and looked like we could play all weekend and not trouble them. That being said we were denied a point by a totally inept referee.
I think it was intended as a switch in formation to four at the back and give him a breather. I think GC was being cautious with the minutes he's played following a long lay off. He didn't look injured and seemed keen to stay on when Clarke went down...