Re: James Clark

County have had very bad luck with injuries this season. The obvious choice is to draw Bennett back into defence but then County lose the 'bite' he brings in midfield. My argument would be to switch to a back four. I think the defensive players County have, even before injuries, are not comfortable in a back three (or five depending how you look at it) and may function better as a flat back four. The question then is with currently two fit CB's to start, whom is better as full backs - Payne or Bright on the right, Lewis or Bondswell on the left?

wattsville_boy wrote: March 8th, 2024, 2:25 pm County have had very bad luck with injuries this season. The obvious choice is to draw Bennett back into defence but then County lose the 'bite' he brings in midfield. My argument would be to switch to a back four. I think the defensive players County have, even before injuries, are not comfortable in a back three (or five depending how you look at it) and may function better as a flat back four. The question then is with currently two fit CB's to start, whom is better as full backs - Payne or Bright on the right, Lewis or Bondswell on the left?
Obviously the point I forgot to mention is that injuries should be seen as opportunities for others to possibly shine. So why not have a kid on the bench to come on with 20 minutes left? Possibly not tomorrow, as Stockport are a very good side, but perhaps against a less potent attack...

wattsville_boy wrote: March 8th, 2024, 2:25 pm County have had very bad luck with injuries this season. The obvious choice is to draw Bennett back into defence but then County lose the 'bite' he brings in midfield. My argument would be to switch to a back four. I think the defensive players County have, even before injuries, are not comfortable in a back three (or five depending how you look at it) and may function better as a flat back four. The question then is with currently two fit CB's to start, whom is better as full backs - Payne or Bright on the right, Lewis or Bondswell on the left?
I'm not sure Coughlan will go with a back 4 away from home yet. Drysdale came on for Clarke when he went off injured. If he does start tomorrow, we will probably have Drysdale, Wildig and Charsley all in the process of coming back from injury and unlikely to last 90 minutes plus Payne who hasn't had many matches recently. Bennett would at least not be in that category so could be a better bet than Drysdale to start in defence although we did apparently have a training match in midweek which could help.

I was thinking Baker and Jameson starting and Drysdale getting minutes from the bench, though I believe GC was talking of including Academy CB's on the bench. I would be interested to see how Baker would perform in a back four, as he seems a little prone to errors in a 3/5. Perhaps he'd find a more rigid formation more to his liking?

wattsville_boy wrote: March 8th, 2024, 2:47 pm I was thinking Baker and Jameson starting and Drysdale getting minutes from the bench, though I believe GC was talking of including Academy CB's on the bench. I would be interested to see how Baker would perform in a back four, as he seems a little prone to errors in a 3/5. Perhaps he'd find a more rigid formation more to his liking?
Hopefully Drysdale is nearing full fitness now.He would probably start on the bench with Benno dropping into the back three.I can’t imagine that GC would throw Sanca from the academy in against Stockport.

Percy plunkett wrote: March 8th, 2024, 7:02 pm
wattsville_boy wrote: March 8th, 2024, 2:47 pm I was thinking Baker and Jameson starting and Drysdale getting minutes from the bench, though I believe GC was talking of including Academy CB's on the bench. I would be interested to see how Baker would perform in a back four, as he seems a little prone to errors in a 3/5. Perhaps he'd find a more rigid formation more to his liking?
Hopefully Drysdale is nearing full fitness now.He would probably start on the bench with Benno dropping into the back three.I can’t imagine that GC would throw Sanca from the academy in against Stockport.
No I wouldn't think so but may have him on the bench just in case Jameson or Drysdale break down, which the way injuries have gone this season cannot be ruled out. I could see opportunities off the bench though when play-offs are effectively ruled out. Probably wait until County have beaten the 57 points from last season though...