CathedralCounty wrote: March 9th, 2024, 5:31 pm
Exile 1976 wrote: March 9th, 2024, 5:01 pm
CathedralCounty wrote: March 9th, 2024, 1:52 pm
Exile 1976 wrote: March 9th, 2024, 12:40 pm
CathedralCounty wrote: March 9th, 2024, 11:51 am
Exile 1976 wrote: March 9th, 2024, 10:24 am
CathedralCounty wrote: March 9th, 2024, 8:51 am
Exile 1976 wrote: March 9th, 2024, 7:08 am

Said it before and I’ll say it again, you come across as a right wrong ‘un. I will always call that out.
I’m giving far too much credence to someone who posts insults in response to reasonable views (albeit on previous occasions views I have clumsily expressed) and admittedly taking myself slightly too seriously as well, but why am I a “wrong un” for holding and expressing mainstream views? I think it’s a sad I indictment on discourse that you hold that belief and the use of “call out” by you belies a certain mindset of a crusader (and sad to say I don’t think you post in jest I think you genuinely believe it which is even more alarming). Personal insults and deliberately misquoting just undermine any argument you may have had, they say “I can’t argue against that I’ll stick my fingers in my ears and call you a wally” they make you look a bit silly and a lot like the online abusers you are decrying. By all means disagree but please don’t disrespect.

I know you want to be seen to be on the “right side of history” but honestly the majority of people think like I do they’re just not brave/naive enough to post about it online (although I stand by all my posts as they are always calm, always measured and never resort to personal insults).

I don’t need your affirmation but I also would rather not have you defamation either however insignificant this forum may be, I’ve never, to my knowledge, defamed or insulted you or anyone else on here and if you are unable to post on here without doing so maybe don’t post.

I’ll post if I want and when I want. Certainly won’t take advice from someone like you.
For your own sakes maybe take a break from social media, from your tone it sounds like you’re pretty wound up and going down all sorts of rabbit holes imagining all sorts of things about people you know very little
about all via a few lines of text, step back, calm down and think.

We may not agree with one another’s views but I wouldn’t want anyone getting stressed out or making themselves ill via social media-if you can’t handle the views of others maybe a forum isn’t the best place for you right now, I wish you the best and hope whatever is making you act out in this way passes we all have our demons and issues and I get that social media is a way to vent and offload onto others it’s not a mature or positive approach but if that helps you get through whatever is troubling you then I’ll be a reluctant punch bag if I must as I don’t think you’re a bad person and happy to support a fellow county fan going through issues (you do have appalling reading comprehension and absolutely no ability to debate like a grown up but I don’t believe you’re an intrinsically bad because of those failings).

Take care and enjoy the game today however you’re following it.

🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️😂😂😂😂😂 Awww bless you, that old chestnut. Trying to claim I have issues and don’t understand what you’re writing. Trying to come across as an intellectual, whereas you just come across as a bell end
Anyhoo, thanks for your concern but I am very calm, relaxed and looking forward to today’s game.
Well it was one of you having a few issues and acting out online or simply being petulant/unpleasant for another/no reason by posting abuse and insults I half admire you for not hiding behind the former but it’s not a good look for a grown up to be so quick to resort to insults, misquoting and deliberate misrepresentation towards people they don’t agree with.

Once again I don’t think you’re a bad person I just think you need to take a breath before you post and re read what others have written (no shame in having poor reading comprehension but you need to take more care in your responses if you do) not least because posts can come back to haunt and some of the unambiguously abusive and often salty language you have used could be embarrassing (albeit this is an obscure forum used by about 10 people and viewed by barely a few hundred more at most) regardless even if nobody is watching ask yourself “am I just being a bit off hand here by posting this? Have I jumped to Z without considering the other person’s argument? Can I cope with/do I fully understand the views of others or do I just resort to abuse because I can’t?”.

Or perhaps just wind your neck in a bit and stop presuming you’re the judge, jury and executioner of this forum your view is no more or less valid than anyone’s and if that is hard to swallow without throwing insults then stay offline.

Nah, I won’t wind my neck in son and I’ll continue to stay online and comment. Oh I understand fully what your ridiculous posts state, and being silly by writing that I don’t and ‘there’s no shame in it’ just makes you look a very foolish, pompous tool. 🤦‍♂️
If you want to cry about it or get annoyed because you think someone has misrepresented your views (which I haven’t) then feel free to ‘foe’ me and you won’t have to read my posts. 👍

Oh, and feel free to have the last word as I won’t reply as it can’t be interesting or fun for the other people on the forum 👍
It’s not so much wanting the last word as not to let someone behaving like an abusive bully win so to speak ironically someone who seems awfully/laughably keen to have the last word themselves.

Once again if you can’t handle that not everyone has your world view [without misquoting, misrepresenting and abusing them with personal insults] then kindly stop posting on here because we don’t want people who resort to attacking a person [rather than their arguments-tackling the man rather than ball if you will] on this forum - disagree by all means but don’t disrespect.
My two pennies worth on this is that you come across as a wolf in sheeps clothing sometimes. You often comment on anything regarding sexism, misogyny, homophobia, racism, vile chanting, Joey Barton et al, and often you use the the subtext that football fans get a harsh deal when accused of any of the aforementioned.

It’s palpably clear why someone would wonder if there is a far right racist lurking underneath, when considering your output. Maybe thats far from the mark and unfair to you, but its how i see it.
The one person who wants to debate how outdated prejudice related to football fans, is still being used against fans who were not born when football's problems were rife, is himself attacked.

Further up Amberexile puts question marks after his comments, obviously seeking debate, but not getting any.

Why is this forum so frightened of debate, but happy to attack? Why do people have to judge comments rather than state their own? Why does someone have to be the judge of what is right?

It doesn't encourage debate from those that don't have the typical forum view does it? So those views are continually suppressed until the poster simply gives up. Fine if all you want is attacking propaganda, rather than lively debate, but it just leads to one sided views and back slapping, which is of no interest to anyone else.
I was going to give up on this thread as it'd reached an impasse and I’d expended far too much energy on it and have inadvertently fallen out with people I genuinely believe to be good people but others (in fairness not 1976) have carried it on. Now I don’t need or want 'support' from anyone, but you make some good points above.

I do lay it on a bit thick with my contrarianism and [sometimes tongue in cheek] ‘man of principle’ act and admit I have in the past clumsily expressed my views BUT some of the inferences and conclusions drawn about me are laughable and if people actually read what I’d wrote about stuff they’d know I wasn’t the ‘far right racist lurking underneath’ (however small this forum is it’s not great to be implied as that on a public forum or called silly names) – I’ve stated my reasonable views on lots of matters and people have either misinterpreted/misrepresented/ignored it – I shouldn’t care about what people think of me or my views but I do.

So - for avoidance of doubt please can people carefully read the below and THEN conclude what you will (in no particular order):

*From personal experience via family/marriage I’m acutely aware racism exists in the UK but that I and the ethnic minority members of my family do not see racism overall as a big issue in the UK (small sample perhaps but a direct experience of these issues which seems to have been ignored or overlooked by people who jumped to conclusions)
*Via the 5 or 6 pro/semi pro ethnic minority footballers I know/know of/knew they do not see racism as a huge issue in the game – now if you asked a leading question ‘is racism an issue in football’ I’m sure they’d say ‘yes’ but as a priority its far lower down on the list than [say] contracts/injuries, etc
*On racism serious evidence and reporting including the Commission on Race and Ethnic Disparities: The Report https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... ssible.pdf and social attitude surveys https://www.kcl.ac.uk/policy-institute/ ... ghbour.pdf shows while not free of racism - racism is not an existential or overarching issue in the UK (especially when compared to most other countries the UK is far less racist than most)
*I’m indifferent to someone’s sexuality as I’ve only lived in a society where it was ‘OK to be gay’ BUT feel (as many LGB people do) that ‘Pride’ has been co-opted/hijacked by businesses/organisations to virtue signal/sell stuff and also by the trans lobby – where the ‘T’ (again according to many gay people) is vastly different to the ‘LGB’
*On trans issues – I respect but do not necessarily indulge – it’s a minefield on all sides but feel legitimate debate should be allowed and encouraged
*On women’s football I actually watch games on TV and have seen a few games live – it needs to stand/fall on its own merits and the ‘you’re a misogynist if you don’t like women’s football or are in any way critical of it’ trope isn’t helping anyone certainly not the women’s game (apart from which the word ‘misogyny’ is so over used as to become meaningless) it is essentially a different not ‘better’ or ’worse’ game than men’s football [edit] I fear elite women's football has the same, but worse, issues as the men's football as its the same few teams winning everything across UK & Europe and a tiny elite of nations capable of winning international tournaments so its actually becoming rather boring at elite level at least
*On accusations of rape/sexual assault/domestic abuse against footballers/men in general – I acknowledge most claims will have merit but that we must face the hard truth than *some* will be misremembered or downright false – we can debate the %’s of false v legitimate accusations but we must all recognize there is an issue of [in particular famous men] being falsely accused of such offences and in any event I firmly believe justice must be served and a robust investigation conducted
*in general I resent being ‘preached’ to as a football fan (taking the knee, rainbow laces, etc) – the implication being football fans are somehow more in need of ‘re education’ than others – rather insulting I feel
*I listen to and give rational and fair consideration to some ‘controversial’ figures but don’t lionize them – I don’t agree with everything these people say but am willing to pick out the bits with merit as someone who sometimes clumsily expresses their views I can see how others do so so I try to look beyond how things are said to its substance
*I admittedly enjoy being a little contrarian and challenging norms (often with my tongue ever so slightly in cheek) I think there is a lot of pomposity around what is 'wrong think' and my belief in free speech is [almost] absolute
*I firmly believe if we shut down debate we just foster hate – and that very few people fit the silly labels thrown at them (having and sharing legitimate concerns about taking the knee doesn’t automatically make someone a ‘racist’ for example nor someone querying the value of wearing rainbow laces a ‘homophobe’, or a Brexit voter a 'fascist' etc)

Now if the above, read carefully and in good faith, makes me a so and so or some other label then so be it but I genuinely don’t feel any of the above even touch me being unreasonable and are broadly in line with what most people think (if perhaps would not say).

And even IF I fitted any of the labels applied to me – in an open and honest grown up discourse that should not make any difference anyway.

Re: Bogle racism

wattsville_boy wrote: March 11th, 2024, 4:37 pm What you write above does not change my opinion of you one jot.

Lets be polite and just say that I'll never seek out your company. And as you believe in 'free speech' you'll not object to me calling you out on the views you express...
That’s a shame I’d happily have a pint and put the world to rights with anyone on here, hey ho perhaps not everyone is as open minded as me.

[edit] on this 'calling out' business what irks you so much about what I've posted? you/ANothers have rarely if ever offered any reasons or counter arguments to my posts just called me so and so and called me or inferred/implied I'm all sorts of [objectively 'bad'] things - what/what about what I've written is so against the 'allowed speech' or unreasonable according to you and the other self appointed arbiters of acceptability?

I'd genuinely like to understand and debate with you but you/others would rather just go straight to name calling and labeling and characterizing things in a negative way (i.e, 'free speech' is just free speech nothing more or less and as someone of the left I think its massively important to defend it because the tide can turn so quickly nowadays and what is fashionable and the view to share today might be cancelled tomorrow - nobody is immune).