Re: H.R.H.

ghosty wrote: March 11th, 2024, 10:57 pm
Bangitintrnet wrote: March 11th, 2024, 3:27 pm
G Guest wrote: March 11th, 2024, 2:20 pm I remember the one you mean I think. I can't remember the name but think the name was taken from the building's shape. Was it the "Bridge Bar" or something like that?
I think it was, although I remember going more into the Robin Hood and Conti's in Llanarth Street, and the Sovereign downstairs in the Kingsway Centre.
The Bridge Bar was in Emlyn Walk, where Wilks was.
The one by the bus station steps I think was Oscars

Oscars !! That’s the bugger. I’ve been trying to think what that was called for ages.
Enjoyed a few drinks & games of pool in there in my teens.

Anyone remember a pub down Dock St back in the 60’s , I think it was called the Globe? I was a student working on the buses and enjoying a pint during a half hour break in my duty : when a copper walked in I heard a noise like it was raining inside the pub - it was, it was raining tablets and capsules everywhere 😂

lowandhard wrote: March 13th, 2024, 5:32 pm Anyone remember a pub down Dock St back in the 60’s , I think it was called the Globe? I was a student working on the buses and enjoying a pint during a half hour break in my duty : when a copper walked in I heard a noise like it was raining inside the pub - it was, it was raining tablets and capsules everywhere 😂
I remember it. Never went there, as it had a bit of a reputation as a drugs den.

lowandhard wrote: March 13th, 2024, 5:32 pm Anyone remember a pub down Dock St back in the 60’s , I think it was called the Globe? I was a student working on the buses and enjoying a pint during a half hour break in my duty : when a copper walked in I heard a noise like it was raining inside the pub - it was, it was raining tablets and capsules everywhere 😂
My father used to be involved with the Playgoers in the 60's mainly before the Dolman was built. I forget what theatre used to be there back in the day but he said that after rehearsal a couple of them used to go in the Globe for a drink. He said it was the roughest pub in Newport he can remember going in.

One that hasn't been mentioned is the Trout. First time I went in there would have been around 1985. I was with a 17 year girl and I would have been 22. We went in there because it was a pub that she regularly got served in. It was one of those pubs with 'character'. The drunks were easy to spot, the prostitutes less so..

wattsville_boy wrote: March 17th, 2024, 3:05 pm
My father used to be involved with the Playgoers in the 60's mainly before the Dolman was built. I forget what theatre used to be there back in the day but he said that after rehearsal a couple of them used to go in the Globe for a drink. He said it was the roughest pub in Newport he can remember going in.

One that hasn't been mentioned is the Trout. First time I went in there would have been around 1985. I was with a 17 year girl and I would have been 22. We went in there because it was a pub that she regularly got served in. It was one of those pubs with 'character'. The drunks were easy to spot, the prostitutes less so..

The Trout has re opened as a tapas bar .....

Frequented by those who have no baggage from the past no doubt......