Re: Prices.

Jonesy3 wrote: April 8th, 2024, 4:15 pm
Amberexile wrote: April 8th, 2024, 3:56 pm This Jenkins chap is pure genius. Giving advance notice that he will wait for me to turn 65 before putting senior tickets up by 28%. It would have no impact on the number of games I would attend had he done it earlier but appreciated all the same.
If only he'd have given advance notice to families with kids aged 7-11 that their season tickets were going up by 100%.
Good point. It does give the impression of being a bit thrown together.

I think that the ticket price announcement raises some wider issues. The first is that, when taken overall, what is the strategy underlying it, if any? I don't think that sort of information has been disclosed by the AFC and it might be naïve to expect it to be so, as being 'commercially confidential'.

Although Mr Jenkins might have a number of ways to implement that strategy, in my opinion, raising the overall 'take' from ticket sales must be central. In his aim to reduce the overall loss, which he describes as unsustainable, it is a lever that must be pulled by him.

Then you need to look at what might be the tactics involved to achieve the strategy. A price rise strategy is not necessarily simply to raise more money. It can be used as a differential mechanism to encourage certain sections of the actual or potential customer base to continue or increase buying tickets by maintaining or selectively lowering ticket prices for those sections but claw that back by effectively increasing prices to what are regarded as 'not going anywhere else' buyers, who may be thought to have both more disposable incomes and more entrenched loyalty e.g. OAPs. It might also include those who might feel compelled to pay more because they have young children who are 'County mad'.

The best application of such strategic and tactical application is to make it look as though there is no overall rise at all because it has little or no impact on the majority of purchasers but where it has a larger impact, those groups impacted by that are relatively anonymous or as I say 'not going anywhere'.

Another wider issue of course, and in ticket prices is a quite illuminating example, is to what extent would the Trust be torn between it's duty as a significant owner of the AFC and thus duty bound to try to ensure the continued solvent existence of the AFC but on the other hand being a protector of all Trust members interests, which may not necessarily agree or coincide with that of the commercially driven AFC, whilst always having the paramount joint interest of maintaining a viable football club?

There are two points to this discussion. One is not economic in as much as do we want our club to be simply about turning in a profit or do we want it to play a part in the community? Clearly I favour the latter and over the long term I believe doing so would make Newport County more viable. But fot now let's park that.

On the issue of ticket pricing alone there will be an optimum price. On the XY axis that is where the lines cross. The difficulty is working out where the demand and supply meet in advance.

It is all very well being critical of armchair fans, but if you are on a limited income for less than £2 in truth less than €2 on Sunday I watched Rangers v Celtic and Manchester United v Liverpool. Now unless you're a committed fan £25 for a meaningless match between Newport County and Accrington Stanley is a bit on the steep side.

Now no television experience can match the thrill of being there. But unless you can get people through the gates they are not going to know.

My view, and it is only my opinion is that ticket prices are too high. As with all things knowing what the problem is not the same as knowing how to solve it. I think the problem is even more acute for families. If I were in charge I'd allow children attending with a paying adult in for free. It reduces the cost for hsrd pressed families and it get children hooked and a proportion of them will take the habit into adulthood when they will have to pay. And finally in the very short term you are getting the adult in and the income from he or she.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: April 9th, 2024, 9:34 am There are two points to this discussion. One is not economic in as much as do we want our club to be simply about turning in a profit or do we want it to play a part in the community? Clearly I favour the latter and over the long term I believe doing so would make Newport County more viable. But fot now let's park that.

On the issue of ticket pricing alone there will be an optimum price. On the XY axis that is where the lines cross. The difficulty is working out where the demand and supply meet in advance.

It is all very well being critical of armchair fans, but if you are on a limited income for less than £2 in truth less than €2 on Sunday I watched Rangers v Celtic and Manchester United v Liverpool. Now unless you're a committed fan £25 for a meaningless match between Newport County and Accrington Stanley is a bit on the steep side.

Now no television experience can match the thrill of being there. But unless you can get people through the gates they are not going to know.

My view, and it is only my opinion is that ticket prices are too high. As with all things knowing what the problem is not the same as knowing how to solve it. I think the problem is even more acute for families. If I were in charge I'd allow children attending with a paying adult in for free. It reduces the cost for hsrd pressed families and it get children hooked and a proportion of them will take the habit into adulthood when they will have to pay. And finally in the very short term you are getting the adult in and the income from he or she.
ticket prices are too high I disagree to an extent - as a one off they are good value (as distinct to cheap) - take bowling and a meal at a chain restaurant - that'd be more than a family ticket and hot dog at 'County - however over a whole season of 20+ games its not going to be as cheap if you factor in transport, etc although if a family bought season tickets it would still be reasonable.

Its all relative a membership of say a heritage or nature organization comes in around £150-200 for a family but that would get used mainly over the summer I'd expect but still for a 'day out' is far better value than EFL football as would be a parent and child playing golf (memberships and green fees are not that expensive unless you're talking the Celtic Manor you can but kit in that pariah of shops sports direct I get golf tops there). Horses for courses I suppose (racing is quite cheap as well too!).

Of course not all fans live in the Newport area so travel and other issues are at play and also its not all families a lot of single men (or men in relationships but attending games alone or with mates) come to games as do people with a range of incomes - as I'd mentioned before its about a range of options - I personally do hospitality a few times season for example - because I can afford it (or more accurate am tight in other areas of my life to be able to afford it). my point is its not all about 'struggling families'.

And of course football is not simply entertainment it about loyalty, belonging, tribalism and to a great extent has a captive audience - I can never support another team in the way I follow he County - I do follow other sports I do go to restaurants and on holiday but would not be swayed on my 'football fix' and am a mug for 'County.

CathedralCounty wrote: April 9th, 2024, 10:10 am
Stan A. Einstein wrote: April 9th, 2024, 9:34 am There are two points to this discussion. One is not economic in as much as do we want our club to be simply about turning in a profit or do we want it to play a part in the community? Clearly I favour the latter and over the long term I believe doing so would make Newport County more viable. But fot now let's park that.

ticket prices are too high I disagree to an extent - as a one off they are good value (as distinct to cheap) - take bowling and a meal at a chain restaurant - that'd be more than a family ticket and hot dog at 'County - however over a whole season of 20+ games its not going to be as cheap if you factor in transport, etc although if a family bought season tickets it would still be reasonable.

Its all relative a membership of say a heritage or nature organization comes in around £150-200 for a family but that would get used mainly over the summer I'd expect but still for a 'day out' is far better value than EFL football as would be a parent and child playing golf (memberships and green fees are not that expensive unless you're talking the Celtic Manor you can but kit in that pariah of shops sports direct I get golf tops there). Horses for courses I suppose (racing is quite cheap as well too!).

Of course not all fans live in the Newport area so travel and other issues are at play and also its not all families a lot of single men (or men in relationships but attending games alone or with mates) come to games as do people with a range of incomes - as I'd mentioned before its about a range of options - I personally do hospitality a few times season for example - because I can afford it (or more accurate am tight in other areas of my life to be able to afford it). my point is its not all about 'struggling families'.

And of course football is not simply entertainment it about loyalty, belonging, tribalism and to a great extent has a captive audience - I can never support another team in the way I follow he County - I do follow other sports I do go to restaurants and on holiday but would not be swayed on my 'football fix' and am a mug for 'County.
Let's examine this.

I agree that going to a restaurant is more expensive than going to watch Newport County. But that said if you went to a restaurant and you got soaked and were cold in the rain because you had to stand up outside for a couple of hours and were served up a rubbish meal, well you wouldn't go there again would you?

But you'll carry on going to County. And that is because you got hooked when you were younger. It may not apply to you, but most young people are not flush. And we have to do everything we can to get them in.

Also when I started going to football, it cost about the same as going to see a film. Anecdotal l know but as an OAP it costs we 10 Euro to go to the cinema here. It costs 10 Euro for me to watch Sligo Rovers. Last time I went to the cinema in the UK it cost me £10. The Holdovers, I saw in Cambridge in February since you ask. To watch Newport County somewhat more.

As I've said else where, Newport is much bigger than Sligo. Per capita if County could replicate Sligo's attendance figures we would have crowds of about 16,000.

Of there may be others factors which affect attendance but it does I think show that Newport County underachieve. I very much hope that pricing policy is examined. Along with all the other issues which have prevented us from being as successful as we could be.

Stan A. Einstein wrote: April 9th, 2024, 10:44 am
CathedralCounty wrote: April 9th, 2024, 10:10 am

Let's examine this.

I agree that going to a restaurant is more expensive than going to watch Newport County. But that said if you went to a restaurant and you got soaked and were cold in the rain because you had to stand up outside for a couple of hours and were served up a rubbish meal, well you wouldn't go there again would you?

But you'll carry on going to County. And that is because you got hooked when you were younger. It may not apply to you, but most young people are not flush. And we have to do everything we can to get them in.

Also when I started going to football, it cost about the same as going to see a film. Anecdotal l know but as an OAP it costs we 10 Euro to go to the cinema here. It costs 10 Euro for me to watch Sligo Rovers. Last time I went to the cinema in the UK it cost me £10. The Holdovers, I saw in Cambridge in February since you ask. To watch Newport County somewhat more.

As I've said else where, Newport is much bigger than Sligo. Per capita if County could replicate Sligo's attendance figures we would have crowds of about 16,000.

Of there may be others factors which affect attendance but it does I think show that Newport County underachieve. I very much hope that pricing policy is examined. Along with all the other issues which have prevented us from being as successful as we could be.
Agree on the get em young point - (I sadly am not 'young' anymore!) and feel our season tickets are very competitively priced for youngsters - we'll see what match-day prices are like but imagine/hope club will look to get the kids in.