Re: Last few weeks of service...

Thanks to Jack for keeping this mb going all these years,a lot of time and expertise has gone into that I am sure.For various reasons though,its popularity has fallen away in recent times,due to squabbling among certain posters and now,with two newer mb’s up and running time is being called.Also thanks to the others mods who have given their time to help Jack over the years.

Percy plunkett wrote: April 17th, 2024, 11:23 am Thanks to Jack for keeping this mb going all these years,a lot of time and expertise has gone into that I am sure.For various reasons though,its popularity has fallen away in recent times,due to squabbling among certain posters and now,with two newer mb’s up and running time is being called.Also thanks to the others mods who have given their time to help Jack over the years.
Don't think its so much 'squabbling' as other forms of communication such as social media or smaller/leaner whats app groups taking over much of what forums do.

Blackandamber wrote: April 17th, 2024, 9:48 am Thank you Jack for your 20 years of service. I've really enjoyed this messageboard, apart from the personal insults which have spoilt it recently.

When exactly did this MB start and what was its URL originally. Whatever happened to Forester?

Back in the day the Grandstands were great fun. Can the person holding the broom sweep up all the biscuit crumbs before the lights are finally switched off.

Hope to see most of you on the new MB, as the County try again next season to rise up the pyramid.
It started a bloody long time ago I know that! It was administrated by a Sutton Utd fan (I think it was Sutton, bloke called Dave anyway...) who knew his onions when it came to webhosting and helped Rob Sant and a few others run it. I came tumbling after when he couldn't be arsed anymore.

Think Forester got a bit bored of petty arguments, or he may have made a new account with a different name? Who knows! The joys of anonymity.

Taunton Iron Cider wrote: April 17th, 2024, 9:50 am Jack, it is sad to see something that has been part of supporting Newport County over many many years disappear. So my questions to you are, what would it cost if anyone wanted to continue this service into next season and beyond, and would you be prepared to transfer control?
I don't actually think it's salvageable. I closed registrations about 3 months ago and it's overwhelmed by bot registrations.

I could fix it and upgrade but as I said, don't really have the time.

Unless you know PHPBB / web coding, I don't think it's go'er

Bonson&Hunt wrote: April 18th, 2024, 9:57 am Thanks Jack, brilliant. Can we not try & inherit your work to keep it going. Maybe worth setting out what is required so we have an idea of the committment. Once it's gone it's gone, never to return.
Someone who knows their way around webhosting.

I've asked on many previous occasions for help or hand-off and it hasn't really come to fruition.

Plus, I think having two webforums for a club the size of ours is splintered.

Percy plunkett wrote: April 17th, 2024, 11:23 am Thanks to Jack for keeping this mb going all these years,a lot of time and expertise has gone into that I am sure.For various reasons though,its popularity has fallen away in recent times,due to squabbling among certain posters and now,with two newer mb’s up and running time is being called.Also thanks to the others mods who have given their time to help Jack over the years.
There's two others? 😅

phil_in_npton wrote: April 16th, 2024, 8:19 am Good Morning

Firstly, thank you Jack. Your forum has brought so much fun and pleasure to add to the ups and downs of being a County fan. Occasionally I have disagreed with the way you’ve done things, but that’s how life goes!
I have made so many “online friends “ who I will never meet in person, but that’s not the point, it’s about being part of a community, accepting different viewpoints ( without crossing the line into abuse/ bullying)
I have also met folk from contact on here, some I liked.. and some I didn’t!
Memories a plenty, none more so than the great fun we had with the “ Programme World Tour” A brief explanation for those not aware. I bought a programme from the first home game, and sent it to someone from the forum elsewhere in the world, they signed it and forwarded it back to someone else and so on. I was amazed how it went back and forth around the globe without getting lost. It even got a mention in the actual match day programme some months later. Someone must still have the programme, unfortunately I lost track of its final movements.
For me the Grandstand was the best fun, a few years ago though. A bit of a fantasy world, with biscuits, cushions, Tim’s countdown and the broom for late arrivals.
Hopefully “all things County “ will bravely fill the void and remain a nicer place than that which this forum has sadly become.

Thanks again Jack, and thanks to all the contributors who have made this an interesting and informative place to visit.

Phil in Northampton.
Thanks for the kind words Phil, hope you're well.

Jack wrote: April 18th, 2024, 10:01 pm
There's two others? 😅
There is Jim’s new one plus the Facebook one which is a mb / forum in my book.

markvickery wrote: April 20th, 2024, 12:04 am Thanks for maintaining the message board Jack. Pretty sure the new one will thrive going forward.
Many reports I've posted since those Conference South days and previously they were put onto the County Yahoo group .90s
I have been trying to think who started the group for the OBE's. It was a sort of email group, and you sent your email to a hub, that returned it to all the other members like spokes on a wheel.